ARE WE DOWN?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 338 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:01 PM

Arguably Swinton may have an easier run in than Barrow, York and Hunslet.

With performances like we have been putting out then we will go down and will thoroughly deserve what we get. :(

With improved performances we could win at home to Barrow and York, give Doncaster a game away and win at Whitehaven if they will already have an eye on the playoffs having qualified by  then! - possibly enough.

With vastly improved performances (and more than our share of luck) we can beat a top 5 team pick up bonuses and get 15 points from the remaining 6 games which would likely be enough. :crazy:  

Even defeat in both of the next two games (Featherstone and Leigh) does not open the trap door fully and so with improved performances we could take it to the last game as Morty suggests -

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

#42 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 845 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:17 PM

Little lion man the 2 teams i would like to see stop up  are SWINTON AND  BARROW , but i just just for the life of me see you getting any points at doony and haven also at home to BARROW , But letts hope your right.  

#43 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:31 PM

I think the bigger picture here worries most fans. Will relegation sound the death knell for our club...

. I think relegation would take at least 150/200 off the average home gate with virtually no travelling support and further erosion of our fan base.The Agecroft factor could also be a major influence on things

#44 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:49 PM

Workington aren't a good team have you seen were we are in the table and.have you seen where u lions are in the table not to forget we beat you down at your spot as well so we cant be that bad

Enjoy your trips to the all golds n gateshead or and london hahahahahaha

I heard Sam Tomkins is signing for you as well!

#45 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:01 PM

Swinton V Barrow will be a humdinger, Warning we are improving (except our huge wobble in the 2nd half yesterday) we should/could p have beaten Leigh last week, were close to getting some long term injuries back into the side, were picking up points, so don't take us lightly.

Good luck for the rest of the season, our game not withstanding :)  

#46 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:03 PM

It's the penultimate game of the season and is on TV I think.

#47 ameliasdaddy

ameliasdaddy
  • Workington
  • 137 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

I hope Swinton and barrow stay up too, always enjoyed towns games with these two and a very decent set of guys following both clubs.

#48 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:03 PM

I'd go along with that . Happy memories of town games with Swinton down the years , shame if that famous old jersey goes down . I hope you guys do the necessary in the games to come. Yesterday you had a real dig , especially in defence in the first half when we hammered the line and you held firm . The effort was there . And what's the point in the yah - boo stuff ... Everyone should remember ' there but for the grace of god ...' . Good luck guys .

#49 OttO

OttO
  • Coach
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:30 PM

We're going down. Let's not kid ourselves with false hope.

Not many made the trip yesterday and I don't blame them. Workington aren't a good team and they won at a canter. All opponents need to do is be semi-competent at the basics and they'll turn us over. Town shelled a few chances and didn't play especially well but they didn't need to.

We are dreadful. I don't know what they do in the wonderful training sessions we hear about.

Funny you saying that, it seems to be a common saying when Town have beaten some of the teams this season.

To tell the truth I am sad about what is going on down at Swinton this season, the soul of Swinton has been lost and you are now effectively Wire's reserve team. lodging at LSV.

"i hate workington town fans with a passion they are the biggest cry babies in rl and boy do they get jealous easy"- Choccy 2012

"if it wernt for me they would have nowt at all to talk about" - Choccy 2012

#50 firebasher

firebasher
  • Coach
  • 125 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:38 PM

With performances like we have been putting out then we will go down and will thoroughly deserve what we get. :(

With improved performances we could win at home to Barrow and York, give Doncaster a game away and win at Whitehaven if they will already have an eye on the playoffs having qualified by  then! - possibly enough.

With vastly improved performances (and more than our share of luck) we can beat a top 5 team pick up bonuses and get 15 points from the remaining 6 games which would likely be enough. :crazy:  

Even defeat in both of the next two games (Featherstone and Leigh) does not open the trap door fully and so with improved performances we could take it to the last game as Morty suggests -

What's thy supping?

Edited by firebasher, 22 July 2013 - 06:38 PM.

#51 Spelly

Spelly
  • Coach
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

Not for a minute do I think it'll be easy to stay up, and to use a well-worn phrase "every game is now a cup final" for our beloved Lions. But (and to use another old saying) "it's never over till it's over" so lets unite as fans and get behind the team, in the run-in!

We are Swinton supporters, so let's support Swinton! Your club, our club, my club!

Spelly.

"--- and then on the eighth day, God created Rugby League."

Daily, my intense dislike of the Pinks, Rugby Yawnion, Manchester United, and far-right politics, grows ever larger, and will continue to do so forever more!

Question! What's the connection between Rugby League and Rugby Yawnion? Answer! There isn't one!

My girl-friend asked "If you had to choose between me and Swinton who would it be?" I replied "You know the answer to that one without even asking!"

#52 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:52 PM

One question DavidM, who's the player in little photo? Looks a bit like Town legend Ike Southward to me. Am I right?

#53 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:44 PM

With performances like we have been putting out then we will go down and will thoroughly deserve what we get. :(

With improved performances we could win at home to Barrow and York, give Doncaster a game away and win at Whitehaven if they will already have an eye on the playoffs having qualified by then! - possibly enough.

A pretty good analysis. Will be interesting to see if Barrow can get anything at Donny at the weekend, if so a little gap may open up between York, Hunslet, Swinton and the rest.

Although it has to be said that things have stayed amazingly tight so far, so perhaps its destined to go down to the last game.
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#54 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:26 PM

Blue Monkey... Get yourself a gold star my friend . I pay homage to the great man indeed . Just to sit and listen to him tell tales of his tour to Oz was pure magic . Great player , great guy , great groundsman with unbelievable skill of balancing his fag on his lower lip while cutting the pitch .. Legend .

#55 dummy scissors

dummy scissors
  • Coach
  • 272 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

As a "glass half empty" type of person I can't see us getting out of the mire in which we are more than up to our necks - just the nostrils above the quicksand now I'd say.  I don't see any sign of a settled team emerging and though most of the players seem to be trying we are still ill disciplined, lacking attacking flair or ideas and hoplessly inconsistent in defence.  We conceed far too many points and seem to lack the fight of other teams in the danger zone in battling for at least a bonus point.  Confidence must be at a very low ebb in the squad no matter what anyone says.

Mark Smith has said he likes to play the full eighty minutes and feels fit enough to do that. If he is not carrying any injury he has to stay on the field especially while Watson is out and bring a bit of leadership to the young lads who are struggling at this level.  None of the players we have used as interchanges for him have produced the goods as consistently as he is still able to do so why not keep him in the thick of things?

We are not yet down and miracle turn arounds do happen in sport so it's not impossible that we will avoid relegation with a stirring end of season run. Fingers and everything else crossed that the miracle happens.

#56 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:37 PM

Mark Smith has said he likes to play the full eighty minutes and...

Good on yer Mark, players should play the full 80 minutes. After all, we were RL Champions two seasons on the trot with 13 players doing the full 80 minutes. These days they're on and off the pitch so much that it's a miracle they aren't dizzy with it all.

:tease:

#57 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:41 PM

Blue Monkey... Get yourself a gold star my friend . I pay homage to the great man indeed . Just to sit and listen to him tell tales of his tour to Oz was pure magic . Great player , great guy , great groundsman with unbelievable skill of balancing his fag on his lower lip while cutting the pitch .. Legend .

Thanks pal, you've made my day. Yes, I'm owd enough to have seen him play. I think he went to Oldham after service with Town.

:yahoo:

#58 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,976 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:03 PM

Thanks pal, you've made my day. Yes, I'm owd enough to have seen him play. I think he went to Oldham after service with Town.

:yahoo:

Ike went from Town to Oldham in 1958 for a then record transfer fee and the first five figure transfer fee - £10,650.

Town then resigned him in 1960 from Oldham for another then record transfer fee of £11,002- 10 shillings to break the then existing record.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#59 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 338 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:17 PM

What's thy supping?

Been supping success in the last chance saloon.

(And a pint of Joey Holts)

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users