Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Match Report: Batley Bulldogs 12-26 Doncaster

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,940 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:48 PM

BATLEY BULLDOGS 12-26 DONCASTER

Veteran half-back Paul Cooke rolled back the years this afternoon with an outstanding display which underpinned a surprise victory for Doncaster and left the Bulldogs without a win in their last five games. The air of despondency in the home stands was palpable today as the Batley faithful witnessed an insipid display from their side. The hosts fell behind early and never really looked capable of rescuing the game with too many of their number misfiring throughout the game, whilst Doncaster deserved their victory, doing the basics well, and following Cooke's impressive direction all afternoon.

The hosts' disappointing performance was compounded by a clear sense of injustice from the home support at some of the first-half decision-making from the officials, but in truth this defeat was entirely of the Bulldogs' making and not even the most partisan home supporters could point an accusatory figure at Mr Laughton and his touch judges in the final analysis.

The opening exchanges were scrappy and penalty-laden, and neither side had much of a genuine threat in the opening quarter of an hour. It was a 13th minute altercation between Bulldogs prop Alex Rowe and former Batley man Chris Spurr that sparked the game into life, and on 18 minutes Doncaster prop Mark Castle dived over from close range to open the scoring, ably converted by Stu Sanderson. Any hope of the visitors taking the lead jump-starting the Bulldogs into action were dashed just three minutes later when Dan Cowling scored a controversial try in the corner as it looked like Tom Hemingway had prevented him scoring with a hand under the ball. Mr Laughton thought otherwise and Sanderson's excellent touchline conversion pushed the score on to 0-12.

The second Doncaster try was the catalyst for the Bulldogs to finally abandon what had been a predictable attacking pattern and start moving the ball around at pace. On 24 minutes, Gareth Potts broke clear deep in his own half and looked set to outpace the entire Dons defence only to be hauled down 10 metres short of the line. Thankfully for the hosts, Miles Greenwood had been following up and from a quick play-the-ball he scooted over to reduce the arrears with Gareth Moore knocking over the conversion. The Bulldogs were nearly in shortly afterwards with a training ground move as Walton scopped up Black's bomb to set the ball up for Greenwood, but the rampaging full-back just failed to pull the ball in.

Ten minutes from the break, Doncaster drew a penalty for laying on and Sanderson took the two on offer to stretch the visitors' lead to 14-6 and they completed what amounted to a first-half rout on 40 minutes when Dawson's excellent inside ball cleared a path for Sanderson to add to his own personal points tally with a try and conversion to leave the Bulldogs reeling.

HALF-TIME: BATLEY BULLDOGS 6-20 DONCASTER

The second-half was always likely to be tough, with the Bulldogs facing the slope and a fourteen-point deficit, but it was a difficult forty minutes for the home support to stomach, and indeed many of the Batley faithful were filing out long before the final hooter. In essence, the Bulldogs did not possess enough quality to break down the visitors and genuinely force their way back into contention.

Ben Black almost pulled back a try on 48 minutes, but he lost the ball over the line, and two minutes later the Dons threatened, but Potts made an excellent last-ditch challenge to bundle Sanderson into touch. On 55 minutes, the hosts finally worried Doncaster when Alex Rowe ran onto a flat pass from George Flanagan to score near the sticks and Tom Hemingway's conversion pulled the score back to 12-20 to give JK and his charges a glimmer of hope. With quarter of an hour to go, Gareth Moore thought he'd scored, but he was put through with a forward pass and moments later came the decisive play of the match as Lee Waterman burst through the 'Dogs defensive line and Dan Cowling was in support to score and clinch victory once Sanderson had converted.

All in all, a gut-wrenchingly disappointing afternoon for the home faithful, who are presiding over a promising season which seems to be currently turning to dust. Workington arrive in town next Sunday for a game which has "must win" plastered all over it if the Bulldogs are going to turn things round as we hurtle towards the play-offs.

BATLEY BULLDOGS: 1 Greenwood, 2 Potts, 3 Walton, 20 Faal, 21 G. Johnson, 6 Black, 23 Hemingway, 8 Smith, 9 Mennell, 19 Rowe, 11 Bretherton, 16 Davies, 4 Maun. Interchange: 7 Moore, 14 Flanagan, 15 Hirst, 26 J. Johnson.

T: Greenwood, Rowe

G: Moore, Hemingway

DONCASTER: 1 Butterfield, 5 Tuffour, 24 Cowling, 28 Dawson, 2 Sanderson, 6 Cooke, 25 Kay, 8 Castle, 13 Emmett, 18 Garbutt, 15 Kelly, 3 Spurr, 17 Edwards. Interchange: 4 Waterman, 9 Kesik, 21 Waller, 26 Spiers.

T: Castle, Cowling, Sanderson, Kay

G: Sanderson 5

REFEREE: Ronnie Laughton

SCORING SEQUENCE: 0-6, 0-12, 6-12, 6-14, 6-20, HT, 12-20, 12-26

MAN OF THE MATCH: Paul Cooke (Doncaster)

#2 Jemmo

Jemmo
  • Coach
  • 512 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:14 AM

Does anywhere online do highlights videos for Batley games?

#3 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 665 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:59 AM

Nope. We (Batley) are way behind the times when it comes to media and online presence

#4 Jemmo

Jemmo
  • Coach
  • 512 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:11 AM

Cheers

#5 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

There's no video of the game online. However, the experience can be easily be recreated if you can find a smoker and persuade them to spend 80 minutes burning you with cigarettes whilst you're strapped into a dentists chair.

Posted Image

#6 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,940 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:02 AM

Nope. We (Batley) are way behind the times when it comes to media and online presence

OK, I'll bite.  Seeing as I am probably in a position to try and do something about it, what would you like to see being done to bring us back to being up with "the times"?  And before you answer that, consider the media and on-line presence we have in comparison to some of our fellow Championship clubs. I monitor the other sites in the League and I believe we stand up very well both in content and presentation to our competitors. We also have a really good Facebook and Twitter presence.

As you probably know, we did pilot video highlights a while back.  I wasn't involved in that, but I can certainly try and find out if it can be resurrected (although as my learned friend The Terminator has suggested above, the highlights reel from Sunday would be pretty short).  Perhaps someone could volunteer to do that for the club?  I would happily get some footage up on site if someone was prepared to film it?  Sadly, can't really do the match reporting and filming simultaneously or I'd have a go myself.

I'm always one to take on board constructive criticism and/or ideas.  Sweeping, generalised statements with no substance, on the other hand ...

Edited by Chairman LMAO, 23 July 2013 - 11:05 AM.

#7 BISSA...

BISSA...
  • Coach
  • 536 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:23 PM

OK, I'll bite.  Seeing as I am probably in a position to try and do something about it, what would you like to see being done to bring us back to being up with "the times"?  And before you answer that, consider the media and on-line presence we have in comparison to some of our fellow Championship clubs. I monitor the other sites in the League and I believe we stand up very well both in content and presentation to our competitors. We also have a really good Facebook and Twitter presence.

As you probably know, we did pilot video highlights a while back.  I wasn't involved in that, but I can certainly try and find out if it can be resurrected (although as my learned friend The Terminator has suggested above, the highlights reel from Sunday would be pretty short).  Perhaps someone could volunteer to do that for the club?  I would happily get some footage up on site if someone was prepared to film it?  Sadly, can't really do the match reporting and filming simultaneously or I'd have a go myself.

I'm always one to take on board constructive criticism and/or ideas.  Sweeping, generalised statements with no substance, on the other hand ...

In answer to the above requests and comments, can I advise that  BISSA ( who are techno savvy--Ha Ha) are in talks with a company who , along with other RL clubs, put highlights on line, for exactly the reasons requested above. At BISSA's next meeting ( Monday) we will be having a presentation of the process and will be able to give further information after said presentation.

As most people know BISSA do make available FULL game DVD's for BISSA funds, by permission of the club, but we feel , in true BISSA fashion , there is a need for edited highlights. Please watch this space.

Many thanks

Colin Bottomley BISSA.

Dates for your Diary

Retro Shirt available now

Sponsored by "RSM Carriers"

"Keep The Faith Tee Shirts now available from BISSA"

Spread & Save please hand your jars or any other container in on match days

Sponsored by Londis, Bradford Road Liversedge

Visit the BISSA Online Shop to purchase DVDs, books and event tickets here

BISSA website http://www.bissa.co.uk/

#8 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,940 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:21 PM

Great news, Colin. Thanks for the info!!

#9 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,138 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:00 PM

Mark, not a critisism but an observation, why do you put the match report in whole on the forum, surely it makes more sense to link to it and drive traffic to the website, i bet there are loads of people who never visit the website as they dont need to

#10 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 665 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:13 PM

I agree. The more traffic to the site the better. And yes I meant a highlight reel of each Batley game. Other club websites have this feature and I think it is only a good thing.

#11 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,940 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:24 PM

Mark, not a critisism but an observation, why do you put the match report in whole on the forum, surely it makes more sense to link to it and drive traffic to the website, i bet there are loads of people who never visit the website as they dont need to

Yep, just became habit when the site was down one Sunday a few weeks ago.

Point noted and agreed!!

#12 ernieone

ernieone
  • Coach
  • 2,480 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:39 PM

Its alright saying its ideal having the highlights on each week, but of course somebody has to put the work in to do it (like a lot of things at the Mount)

"Batley Bulldogs, Championship final 2013" 

"The Great Escape 2014"

2015 ?

1950s Gallant Youth, 2000 Bulldog

#13 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:38 PM

It may also detract from DVD sales?

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#14 ernieone

ernieone
  • Coach
  • 2,480 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:23 PM

It may also detract from DVD sales?

I assure you that there has been no rush for DVDs this season

"Batley Bulldogs, Championship final 2013" 

"The Great Escape 2014"

2015 ?

1950s Gallant Youth, 2000 Bulldog