Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

SIDDAL

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:19 PM

I was at the Siddal v St Pats game and the place was heaving. I wouldn't read too much into crowds at moment with it being summer holidays. From what I was told at the St Pats game there are plans for two new open age teams at Sidda (four in total) and the main club sponsor the same guy who backs Halifax RL. They seem like a club going in the right direction.

#22 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 286 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:52 PM

I was at the Siddal v St Pats game and the place was heaving. I wouldn't read too much into crowds at moment with it being summer holidays. From what I was told at the St Pats game there are plans for two new open age teams at Sidda (four in total) and the main club sponsor the same guy who backs Halifax RL. They seem like a club going in the right direction.

Yes mate - back to winter. The two teams that you were told about are being entered into the Pennine ARL which kicks off Saturday 8th September

#23 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:32 PM

Not quite. One new winter team going into Pennine League along with a new open age summer team going in the Yorkshire Men's League next season. Makes financial sense to have a couple of open age teams operating through the winter when NCL and junior sides not playing especially as all the youth team set up is switching to summer.

Edited by Gar, 11 August 2013 - 08:33 PM.

#24 Historical value

Historical value
  • Players
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:33 PM

The place was heaving, against st pats, cos there was a massive fund raiser on that day, most would have been there anyway.

#25 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:37 PM

I know I was there. My point being a lot of money would have gone over the bar that day. It seems to be a club that was doing ok and looking at their website it seems to be a club with plenty going on.

Edited by Gar, 11 August 2013 - 08:39 PM.

#26 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,703 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:38 PM

Not quite. One new winter team going into Pennine League along with a new open age summer team going in the Yorkshire Men's League next season. Makes financial sense to have a couple of open age teams operating through the winter when NCL and junior sides not playing especially as all the youth team set up is switching to summer.

Not all the youth rugby is switching to summer thou, in fact all the Pennine clubs are talking about pulling their junior clubs out of summer rugby.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#27 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:15 AM

Actions speak louder than words. I don't know about all the other Pennine clubs. I was just taking about Siddal . As I understand it they Have pulled their U18's out of the winter based Yorkshire Combination Youth League and will be running all their junior teams through into the youth set up of the Yorkshire Junior League in summer. If my sums are correct and the information on the Siddal website correct that means in 2014 they will have 14 teams playing in the summer and 2 in the winter.

#28 casyorkie

casyorkie
  • Coach
  • 223 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:02 AM

Not all the youth rugby is switching to summer thou, in fact all the Pennine clubs are talking about pulling their junior clubs out of summer rugby.

Nice to see you know ALL the pennine clubs are talking about pulling their junior clubs out of summer.

I thought a lot of clubs had different sections and the open age is not always incharge of the junior sections.

Some clubs will switch maybe just not as many as you hope

#29 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:32 AM

I do not think for one minute all the Pennine clubs are thinking seriously about pulling their juniors out of summer rugby. I think that is wishful thinking at best or perhaps deliberately mischievous.

If a meeting takes place and somebody asks the question should we go back to winter and somebody says no does that constitute talking about it?

Moving juniors back to the old winter based system would be a huge mistake and there is IMO zero chance of all the Pennine teams agreeing to that.

Edited by Gar, 12 August 2013 - 08:32 AM.

#30 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,703 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:40 AM

Funny how it makes financial sense now but when I said it would be better to run with a traditional season and have a summer (jolly) season that would open the game up to union and soccer players (more participation) at a level they would be able to compete at, which would also have their tills ticking over 12 months a year was basically ridiculed.

I do not think for one minute all the Pennine clubs are thinking seriously about pulling their juniors out of summer rugby. I think that is wishful thinking at best or perhaps deliberately mischievous.

If a meeting takes place and somebody asks the question should we go back to winter and somebody says no does that constitute talking about it?

Moving juniors back to the old winter based system would be a huge mistake and there is IMO zero chance of all the Pennine teams agreeing to that.

Why is it mischievous when clubs have identified that yes summer is definitely the best climate for kids to play and train in but also the most disruptive because of holidays, other family & friendly distractions.

I also think your assumption of a Pennine meeting is a little disrespectful to a competition that is run equally as efficient as the NCL and based on a democratic system that allows it's clubs to see the information before a recommendation from the top table and that's without £150,000 worth of RFL money over the last decade or more towards administration (Feed the chickens a little corn)

Edited by Marauder, 12 August 2013 - 09:41 AM.

#31 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:54 AM

Marauder, I think you should sack your script writer, he keeps regurgitating the same ones.

I don't believe in reincarnation but I did in a previous life

#32 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,703 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:00 AM

Nice to see you know ALL the pennine clubs are talking about pulling their junior clubs out of summer.

I thought a lot of clubs had different sections and the open age is not always incharge of the junior sections.

Some clubs will switch maybe just not as many as you hope

Clubs have been reading the operational rules.

#33 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:01 AM

You made a statement " all the Pennine clubs are talking about pulling their junior clubs out of summer rugby"

I believe that statement is factually incorrect. I also believe it was a statement deliberately worded in such a way to give a misleading impression that all Pennine Clubs are close to pulling their junior sides out of summer rugby.

I also doubt there have been any meaningful or substantive talks amongst the Pennine Clubs that would justify such a statement.

I've no doubt discussions are ongoing at all levels about the issue of summer rugby. It is after all the hottest topic for discussion. However, there is a world of difference between people discussing a topic and there being any meaningful possibility of any substantial changes arising from those discussions.

Edited by Gar, 12 August 2013 - 10:02 AM.

#34 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,703 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:18 AM

Marauder, I think you should sack your script writer, he keeps regurgitating the same ones.

"Hark at you",

You keep coming up with the pluses of summer rugby which I agree look beautiful on the drawing board (Done 7 seasons echo, echo, echo), but what are we seeing once it is being put into practice, IMO the main ingredients the players are not actually making the sport their 100% priority during the summer, this has resulted in a drop in standards on the park, teams travelling short, first teams taking 2nd team and youth players to make numbers up resulting in postponements and surely you don't believe the theory that in a few years time all the players will only have known summer rugby is going to solve the problem.

Doesn't anyone listen to the rumblings coming out of the summer camps from the people who actually didn't have much say in the switch or sold it on the back of the RFL mischievous propaganda.

#35 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:32 AM

In my experience participation levels are not the issue. The issue at open age ( but not junior rugby) is consistency of selection. This lack of consistency has lead to a fall in standards. The focus should therefore be on how we can tweak the existing calendar to try and address some of the issues that are affecting availability. The summer set up is still very much in its infancy and should be considered work in progress. IMO clubs and the indiviuduals within them should be working hard to try and iron out issues that were inevitably going to arise after such a switch rather than ( in some cases) working tirelessly to undermine the current set up to try and ensure it fails...

#36 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:27 PM

You keep coming up with the pluses of summer rugby

No I don't, I am firmly a winter man. The main problem I have with your inane repetitions is that at the end of the day boring the pants off the undecided will put them firmly in the opposite corner.  If the game remains in summer then I will cope, you will love it for the platform it gives you.

I don't believe in reincarnation but I did in a previous life

#37 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,703 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:32 PM

In my experience participation levels are not the issue. The issue at open age ( but not junior rugby) is consistency of selection. This lack of consistency has lead to a fall in standards. The focus should therefore be on how we can tweak the existing calendar to try and address some of the issues that are affecting availability. The summer set up is still very much in its infancy and should be considered work in progress. IMO clubs and the indiviuduals within them should be working hard to try and iron out issues that were inevitably going to arise after such a switch rather than ( in some cases) working tirelessly to undermine the current set up to try and ensure it fails...

So your putting the blame on the results on the shoulders of the coaches who for some reason are not selecting their best 17 available?

Tweaking - Don't make me laugh, all players want to do is play, whether it's in the summer or winter, once the league program starts to get broken here there and everywhere you will see an even greater drift towards winter (RFL selling point, consistent fixtures in the summer) you may ask why I'm saying this and I will tell you to look at the demise of the CMS Yorkshire league and ask why teams at the top end drifted to the Pennine (Don't say to play at a better standard)

#38 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,681 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:42 PM

Moving the season to march-nov was not the garlic bread the romantics thought it was every pit fall that was predicted has happened .

The acid test now for the game is to sort out the optimum playing months to take out the bits that are damaging the game .

Problem is who is going to make the first move ?

Edited by TaxiEgg, 12 August 2013 - 01:52 PM.

#39 SG6

SG6
  • Players
  • 81 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:34 PM

Think the small crowd may have something to do with siddals second team playing away in a local derby in their first game back since their season ended

#40 casyorkie

casyorkie
  • Coach
  • 223 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:14 PM

Funny how it makes financial sense now but when I said it would be better to run with a traditional season and have a summer (jolly) season that would open the game up to union and soccer players (more participation) at a level they would be able to compete at, which would also have their tills ticking over 12 months a year was basically ridiculed.

Why is it mischievous when clubs have identified that yes summer is definitely the best climate for kids to play and train in but also the most disruptive because of holidays, other family & friendly distractions.

I also think your assumption of a Pennine meeting is a little disrespectful to a competition that is run equally as efficient as the NCL and based on a democratic system that allows it's clubs to see the information before a recommendation from the top table and that's without £150,000 worth of RFL money over the last decade or more towards administration (Feed the chickens a little corn)

Is this the same Pennine league that not so long ago accepted a team with the delegates voting on it becuase they wanted them in and as a result the rules for accepting a team have changed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users