TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

SIDDAL

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:43 PM

Think the small crowd may have something to do with siddals second team playing away in a local derby in their first game back since their season ended

So a smaller crowd than normal seems to be down to it being peak holiday season and the seconds playing a derby game down the road. Glad that's cleared up.

#42 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:56 PM

So your putting the blame on the results on the shoulders of the coaches who for some reason are not selecting their best 17 available?

Tweaking - Don't make me laugh, all players want to do is play, whether it's in the summer or winter, once the league program starts to get broken here there and everywhere you will see an even greater drift towards winter (RFL selling point, consistent fixtures in the summer) you may ask why I'm saying this and I will tell you to look at the demise of the CMS Yorkshire league and ask why teams at the top end drifted to the Pennine (Don't say to play at a better standard)

Where did I say that? The coaches are not selecting their best 17 because their best 17 is rarely available. That's a consistency problem not an issue of participation levels. Clearly it's not a case of players wanting to play be it summer or winter. If that was the case they would play rather than disappear off on a stag do. The issue is greater demands on a players time during peak summer months and whether this (ie the issue of consistency) could be addressed by amending ( or tweaking if you prefer ) the existing programme to provide a period during this peak time where there are limited or no fixtures. IMO that is the most sensible approach than the highly devisive 'return to winter' brigade.

Edited by Gar, 12 August 2013 - 04:57 PM.

#43 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:37 PM

Is this the same Pennine league that not so long ago accepted a team with the delegates voting on it becuase they wanted them in and as a result the rules for accepting a team have changed.

The decision to allow Queens in to the Pennine has proved to be a good one.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#44 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:45 PM

Where did I say that? The coaches are not selecting their best 17 because their best 17 is rarely available. That's a consistency problem not an issue of participation levels. Clearly it's not a case of players wanting to play be it summer or winter. If that was the case they would play rather than disappear off on a stag do. The issue is greater demands on a players time during peak summer months and whether this (ie the issue of consistency) could be addressed by amending ( or tweaking if you prefer ) the existing programme to provide a period during this peak time where there are limited or no fixtures. IMO that is the most sensible approach than the highly devisive 'return to winter' brigade.

The issue at open age ( but not junior rugby) is consistency of selection. This lack of consistency has lead to a fall in standards -

#45 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:57 PM

Apologies if my posts have been unclear although I doubt many would have interpreted them as a criticism of coaches for not selecting their best 17 as opposed to their best players not consistently being available.....

#46 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:08 PM

Apologies if my posts have been unclear although I doubt many would have interpreted them as a criticism of coaches for not selecting their best 17 as opposed to their best players not consistently being available.....

No problems

#47 old papa

old papa
  • Coach
  • 307 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:25 PM

The issue at open age ( but not junior rugby) is consistency of selection. This lack of consistency has lead to a fall in standards -

Let see what the standards of the winter league is this season a few team struggled last year. maybe they were all on winter breaks cos they are cheaper. On another post Marauder you said that your club had 49 players to pick from how many teams are you having this season if only 2 how are you going to keep them all happy.

#48 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:44 PM

Let see what the standards of the winter league is this season a few team struggled last year. maybe they were all on winter breaks cos they are cheaper. On another post Marauder you said that your club had 49 players to pick from how many teams are you having this season if only 2 how are you going to keep them all happy.

We have players who work away,

injuries 

rotation of players,

in the 2nds we have a few ageing players who are willing to stand aside for the young lads and step forward to breach any gaps due to the above.

The winter break looks to be over, I saw one of the Queens players at the BARLA over 35's at the Featherstone Lions ground a couple of weeks ago, he looked fit and trim :)

I'd like to struggle like the best team in Leeds and come runners up in the Pennine Premier

Edited by Marauder, 12 August 2013 - 08:46 PM.

#49 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:56 PM

Sounds to me like your coach is going to face consistency of selection issues...I hope it doesn't result in a decline in standards.

#50 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:07 PM

Sounds to me like your coach is going to face consistency of selection issues...I hope it doesn't result in a decline in standards.

Our coach selects the best 17 he think he has available.

The players from last Saturday :) (Without a few who where working or helping Sheffield to 84 - 0 away win.

maraudersvbentley050_zps61f828a1.jpg

maraudersvbentley001_zps247af44b.jpg

Edited by Marauder, 12 August 2013 - 09:13 PM.

#51 old papa

old papa
  • Coach
  • 307 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:47 PM

Our coach selects the best 17 he think he has available.

The players from last Saturday :) (Without a few who where working or helping Sheffield to 84 - 0 away win.

maraudersvbentley050_zps61f828a1.jpg

maraudersvbentley001_zps247af44b.jpg

Great Picture of a big crowd watching rugby in the summer!!!!!!!!

• Gar likes this

#52 old papa

old papa
  • Coach
  • 307 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:51 PM

injuries 

rotation of players,

in the 2nds we have a few ageing players who are willing to stand aside for the young lads and step forward to breach any gaps due to the above.

The winter break looks to be over, I saw one of the Queens players at the BARLA over 35's at the Featherstone Lions ground a couple of weeks ago, he looked fit and trim :)

I'd like to struggle like the best team in Leeds and come runners up in the Pennine Premier

I agree 4 good sides in the pennine League that would compete with the premier clubs in the NCL but after that very little.

#53 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:50 AM

I agree 4 good sides in the pennine League that would compete with the premier clubs in the NCL but after that very little.

Watch West Bowling if they can keep their young side together.

#54 casyorkie

casyorkie
  • Coach
  • 235 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:40 AM

The decision to allow Queens in to the Pennine has proved to be a good one.

Maybe thats right but it doesnt make the orginal decision right does it

#55 kaykie

kaykie
  • Coach
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:03 AM

Cant see why they just cant start the season in say november and then it'll finish in june/july, ,there for the finals will be played on hopefully a warm summers day instead of the finals in winter(supposed to be summer rugby) plus theres most of july /August for holidays stag dos ect

#56 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:14 AM

Maybe thats right but it doesnt make the orginal decision right does it

Maybe not, but because of the time scale and argument put forward the Pennine committee had to make a decision that they knew would be controversial, I'm sure Queens would have been given the riot act.

It's also fair to say the Pennine league committee have not made a habit of making  such decisions, we've found them to be open, fair and very unbiased. which is probably one of the reasons it's growing in strength.

#57 thepimp007

thepimp007
  • Coach
  • 477 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:23 AM

injuries 

rotation of players,

Having seen a few Leeds teams first hand id say East Leeds are the best side in leeds at the moment, how you can claim Queens are when themselves struggled for numbers during your fabulous winter season ill never know!

Edited by thepimp007, 14 August 2013 - 08:23 AM.

#58 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:17 PM

Having seen a few Leeds teams first hand id say East Leeds are the best side in leeds at the moment, how you can claim Queens are when themselves struggled for numbers during your fabulous winter season ill never know!

That answers the question, with 12 men they still came runners up in what has to be the most stable division in amateur rugby league and with players now available after a winter holiday they could be in with a better shout in our fabulous winter season which your lot left because of the shortage of players then made a come back into winter rugby (why when summer is so good beats me) then back to summer under the guidance of your ex-boy and Co.

#59 Sandspine

Sandspine
  • Coach
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:46 PM

Winter holiday? I thought nobody took holidays or missed matches in winter?

#60 Gar

Gar
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:24 PM

Think they must do. Especially in the lower divisions of the Pennine League.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users