Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Innocence of a child

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,048 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:47 AM

This is for all the grandmothers & grandfathers out there, or for anyone who appreciates the innocence of a child.

Last week, I took my grandchildren to a restaurant. My six-year-old grand-son asked if he could say grace. As we bowed our heads he said, "God is good, God is great, let us thank Him for the food...and I would thank you more if Grandpa gets us ice cream for dessert And liberty and justice for all!  Amen!"

Along with the laughter from the other customers nearby, I heard an older woman remark, "That's what's wrong with this country. Kids today don't even know how to pray. Asking God for ice cream! Why, I never!" Hearing this, my grand-son burst into tears and asked me, "Did I do it wrong? Is God mad at me?"

As I held him and assured him that he had done a terrific job, and God was certainly not mad at him, an elderly gentleman approached the table. He winked at my grand-son and said, "I happen to know that God thought that was a great prayer."

"Really?" my grand-son asked. "Cross my heart," the man replied. Then, in a theatrical whisper, he added (indicating the woman whose remark had started this whole thing) "Too bad she never asks God for ice cream. A little ice cream is sometimes good for the soul."

Naturally, I bought my grand-children ice cream at the end of the meal. My grand-son stared at his for a moment, and then did something I will remember the rest of my life. He picked up his sundae and, without a word, walked over and placed it in front of the woman.

With a big smile he told her, “Here, this is for you...

.shove it up your ass you grouchy old #####! "

Touches the heart doesn't it?

#2 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:06 AM

This is for all the grandmothers & grandfathers out there, or for anyone who appreciates the innocence of a child.

Last week, I took my grandchildren to a restaurant. My six-year-old grand-son asked if he could say grace. As we bowed our heads he said, "God is good, God is great, let us thank Him for the food...and I would thank you more if Grandpa gets us ice cream for dessert And liberty and justice for all!  Amen!"

Along with the laughter from the other customers nearby, I heard an older woman remark, "That's what's wrong with this country. Kids today don't even know how to pray. Asking God for ice cream! Why, I never!" Hearing this, my grand-son burst into tears and asked me, "Did I do it wrong? Is God mad at me?"

As I held him and assured him that he had done a terrific job, and God was certainly not mad at him, an elderly gentleman approached the table. He winked at my grand-son and said, "I happen to know that God thought that was a great prayer."

"Really?" my grand-son asked. "Cross my heart," the man replied. Then, in a theatrical whisper, he added (indicating the woman whose remark had started this whole thing) "Too bad she never asks God for ice cream. A little ice cream is sometimes good for the soul."

Naturally, I bought my grand-children ice cream at the end of the meal. My grand-son stared at his for a moment, and then did something I will remember the rest of my life. He picked up his sundae and, without a word, walked over and placed it in front of the woman.

Superb. :lol:

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#3 HOLYMOLY

HOLYMOLY
  • Coach
  • 249 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:37 AM

Would have loved to have been there.

#4 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

A legend in the making.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#5 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,048 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:04 PM

DISCLOSURE: It's not true.

#6 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:14 PM

DISCLOSURE: It's not true.

Well, I did think it would have been so much better without the last line. That did cheapen it. Plus I couldn't really imagine a six-year-old saying something like that. At least not with you as a grand-dad. ;)  :tease:

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#7 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:48 AM

Last week, I took my grandchildren to a restaurant. My six-year-old grand-son asked if he could say grace. As we bowed our heads he said, "God is good, God is great, let us thank Him for the food...and I would thank you more if Grandpa gets us ice cream for dessert And liberty and justice for all! Amen!"

So you encourage your grandson to only play lip service to the Christian ethos and not to turn the other check or forgive.

Typical 'Christian'

#8 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:07 PM

Having just had a bath, my 10-month-old granddaughter looked intently at the water swirling down the plug hole, before jumping up in haste appearing not wishing to go down herself.  :tongue:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users