Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Innocence of a child

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,830 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:47 AM

This is for all the grandmothers & grandfathers out there, or for anyone who appreciates the innocence of a child.

Last week, I took my grandchildren to a restaurant. My six-year-old grand-son asked if he could say grace. As we bowed our heads he said, "God is good, God is great, let us thank Him for the food...and I would thank you more if Grandpa gets us ice cream for dessert And liberty and justice for all!  Amen!"

Along with the laughter from the other customers nearby, I heard an older woman remark, "That's what's wrong with this country. Kids today don't even know how to pray. Asking God for ice cream! Why, I never!" Hearing this, my grand-son burst into tears and asked me, "Did I do it wrong? Is God mad at me?"

As I held him and assured him that he had done a terrific job, and God was certainly not mad at him, an elderly gentleman approached the table. He winked at my grand-son and said, "I happen to know that God thought that was a great prayer."

"Really?" my grand-son asked. "Cross my heart," the man replied. Then, in a theatrical whisper, he added (indicating the woman whose remark had started this whole thing) "Too bad she never asks God for ice cream. A little ice cream is sometimes good for the soul."

Naturally, I bought my grand-children ice cream at the end of the meal. My grand-son stared at his for a moment, and then did something I will remember the rest of my life. He picked up his sundae and, without a word, walked over and placed it in front of the woman.

With a big smile he told her, “Here, this is for you...

.shove it up your ass you grouchy old #####! "

Touches the heart doesn't it?

#2 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:06 AM

This is for all the grandmothers & grandfathers out there, or for anyone who appreciates the innocence of a child.

Last week, I took my grandchildren to a restaurant. My six-year-old grand-son asked if he could say grace. As we bowed our heads he said, "God is good, God is great, let us thank Him for the food...and I would thank you more if Grandpa gets us ice cream for dessert And liberty and justice for all!  Amen!"

Along with the laughter from the other customers nearby, I heard an older woman remark, "That's what's wrong with this country. Kids today don't even know how to pray. Asking God for ice cream! Why, I never!" Hearing this, my grand-son burst into tears and asked me, "Did I do it wrong? Is God mad at me?"

As I held him and assured him that he had done a terrific job, and God was certainly not mad at him, an elderly gentleman approached the table. He winked at my grand-son and said, "I happen to know that God thought that was a great prayer."

"Really?" my grand-son asked. "Cross my heart," the man replied. Then, in a theatrical whisper, he added (indicating the woman whose remark had started this whole thing) "Too bad she never asks God for ice cream. A little ice cream is sometimes good for the soul."

Naturally, I bought my grand-children ice cream at the end of the meal. My grand-son stared at his for a moment, and then did something I will remember the rest of my life. He picked up his sundae and, without a word, walked over and placed it in front of the woman.

Superb. :lol:

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#3 HOLYMOLY

HOLYMOLY
  • Coach
  • 233 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:37 AM

Would have loved to have been there.

#4 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,131 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

A legend in the making.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#5 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,830 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:04 PM

DISCLOSURE: It's not true.

#6 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:14 PM

DISCLOSURE: It's not true.

Well, I did think it would have been so much better without the last line. That did cheapen it. Plus I couldn't really imagine a six-year-old saying something like that. At least not with you as a grand-dad. ;)  :tease:

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#7 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:48 AM

Last week, I took my grandchildren to a restaurant. My six-year-old grand-son asked if he could say grace. As we bowed our heads he said, "God is good, God is great, let us thank Him for the food...and I would thank you more if Grandpa gets us ice cream for dessert And liberty and justice for all! Amen!"

So you encourage your grandson to only play lip service to the Christian ethos and not to turn the other check or forgive.

Typical 'Christian'

#8 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:07 PM

Having just had a bath, my 10-month-old granddaughter looked intently at the water swirling down the plug hole, before jumping up in haste appearing not wishing to go down herself.  :tongue:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users