Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Championship RFL meetings

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:29 PM

As far as I am aware Super League and Championship have separate meetings about every month and they are chaired by the RFL (usually Nigel Wood I think.). Every club is supposed to be represented at these meetings. I have no idea whether all Clubs are the same but we have never been told who our rep is and a report of the proceedings is never given.

I think it is particularly important at the moment because I don't recall ever seeing a report on the last meeting or two stating who has attended and which way our Club's vote has been cast. For example do we agree with the proposals for 2015 et al or indeed 2014.

I feel this is very important for the Clubs future.

Posted Image

#2 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:45 PM

good point there Michael

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#3 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

The champ clubs met last week in dewsbury (I think that's where it was) to vote on the options. The majority of the vote was for the 3x8 option hope that helps.

Edited by thundergaz, 22 July 2013 - 01:50 PM.

#4 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:35 PM

Many thanks Thundergaz. That's fine but I a more concerned about our Club's attendance and voting.

Posted Image

#5 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,474 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:41 PM

Can you find out Michael and let us know on here or can a spokesperson from the club let us know ?

#6 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:47 PM

Many thanks Thundergaz. That's fine but I a more concerned about our Club's attendance and voting.

Their had to be one representative from each champ club present. Don't know who went on your clubs behalf though.Im presuming you voted for the 3x8 option as their was an overwhelming response for that option apparently. (I could be wrong though on which way your club voted).

Edited by thundergaz, 22 July 2013 - 03:50 PM.

#7 Alias

Alias
  • Coach
  • 241 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:56 AM

surely you don't expect the bod to post everything that goes on within the board in a fans forum.

#8 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:16 AM

Fair comment so it should be on the official website.

Posted Image

#9 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,755 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:53 AM

Fair comment so it should be on the official website.

To be fair to your club's BoD, I don't think they should have any obligation to do so. Nor do I know of any other club which routinely does that.

Sure - you get plenty of chairmen sounding off when the vote goes against them but that's a different matter.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#10 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,755 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:54 AM

There had to be one representative from each champ club present.

Not "had to be", Gaz. You get invited. You don't have to accept.

#11 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:48 AM

Maybe it isn't compulsory but I think it's very important that each club is represented.

Posted Image

#12 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:24 PM

We hosted a Championship clubs meeting in Coventry a couple of months ago. Not all clubs attended.
I didn't recognise anyone from Barrow.
Nigel Wood and Ralph Rimmer were both there.

Edited by bearman, 23 July 2013 - 12:25 PM.

Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#13 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,843 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:04 PM

Nigel Wood said on Boots n'All last week after the Championship clubs meeting in Dewsbury that all the Championship clubs were very supportive of the new system of 2 x 12's and 3 x 8's.

Personally I cannot see what benefits there are for clubs not in the top four of the Championship and as was reported in the RL press this week it seem that the majority have been "bought" with the promise of extra funding.

Whilst the 12 SL clubs are to get £1.3 million, the top four Championship clubs are to receive £650k; £600k; £550k and £500k depending on their position and from 5th down to 12 the clubs will receive £200k down to £150k, so a club finishing 12th and bottom will be £60k better off than the £90k they receive this season.

However, with probable up to 5 current Championship clubs dropping out and in to Championship 1 at the end of the 2014 season any increase in funds will surely get spent by clubs trying to strengthen their squads to try to avoid this drop.
I think many club representatives have merely seen the £signs and voted accordingly without looking at the bigger picture.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#14 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:08 PM

Nigel Wood said on Boots n'All last week after the Championship clubs meeting in Dewsbury that all the Championship clubs were very supportive of the new system of 2 x 12's and 3 x 8's.

Personally I cannot see what benefits there are for clubs not in the top four of the Championship and as was reported in the RL press this week it seem that the majority have been "bought" with the promise of extra funding.

Whilst the 12 SL clubs are to get £1.3 million, the top four Championship clubs are to receive £650k; £600k; £550k and £500k depending on their position and from 5th down to 12 the clubs will receive £200k down to £150k, so a club finishing 12th and bottom will be £60k better off than the £90k they receive this season.

However, with probable up to 5 current Championship clubs dropping out and in to Championship 1 at the end of the 2014 season any increase in funds will surely get spent by clubs trying to strengthen their squads to try to avoid this drop.
I think many club representatives have merely seen the £signs and voted accordingly without looking at the bigger picture.

Why is that then? I know my club is one of the four you have mentioned. But surely this is more of a benefit to the lower champ clubs. I mean the odds of being relegated would be slim to none. And as for my club I don't like the idea as the salary cap will give my club slim to no chance of promotion so I don't know how you come to this conclusion.

#15 Alias

Alias
  • Coach
  • 241 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:17 PM

Trouble is all these meetings are held around Halifax and leeds area during the week and at dinner time. So if directors have jobs it's not possible to attend .

#16 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

Not "had to be", Gaz. You get invited. You don't have to accept.

I take it tubbs didn't go then Richie mate? Lol

#17 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,843 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:23 PM

Gaz, you support a team that will almost certainly be in the top four of the Championship (or SL2 or whatever they are going to call it) and you will no doubt be involved in 7 matches with 3 other Championship clubs plus four SL clubs to decide the four clubs that will be in SL1 in 2016. The 5th club down to 12th will play in the second section of 8 clubs over 7 matches, for what exactly? Will the 5th club be the Champions of SL2 ignoring the fact that there was 4 teams above them or are they all just for fun? The third section of 8 will be playing to decide which team drops down to Championship 1.

The top four clubs in the Championship, not only get the most money they also get the games that might still attract reasonable crowds but what sort of crowds will the others get where most matches will be pretty meaningless? There is still a gap financially between the SL1 teams and the top four Championship and there is also going to be a financial gap between the top four Championship and the rest of the Championship teams.

Edited by Keith T, 23 July 2013 - 02:24 PM.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#18 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:29 PM

Gaz, you support a team that will almost certainly be in the top four of the Championship (or SL2 or whatever they are going to call it) and you will no doubt be involved in 7 matches with 3 other Championship clubs plus four SL clubs to decide the four clubs that will be in SL1 in 2016. The 5th club down to 12th will play in the second section of 8 clubs over 7 matches, for what exactly? Will the 5th club be the Champions of SL2 ignoring the fact that there was 4 teams above them or are they all just for fun? The third section of 8 will be playing to decide which team drops down to Championship 1.

The top four clubs in the Championship, not only get the most money they also get the games that might still attract reasonable crowds but what sort of crowds will the others get where most matches will be pretty meaningless? There is still a gap financially between the SL1 teams and the top four Championship and there is also going to be a financial gap between the top four Championship and the rest of the Championship teams.

Agree Keith but the salary cap will be too big for a champ club to get into SL1 and it will be the old yo yo effect if one does happen to get in.( unless in our case feisal does what he promises and bankrolls us into being one of the top 3 clubs in the country). As for the middle 8 I think its for more funds as I think its to replace the NRC. ( I could be wrong but I think that's what the RFL are looking into).

Edited by thundergaz, 23 July 2013 - 02:30 PM.

#19 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,755 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:39 PM

Why is that then? I know my club is one of the four you have mentioned. But surely this is more of a benefit to the lower champ clubs. I mean the odds of being relegated would be slim to none. And as for my club I don't like the idea as the salary cap will give my club slim to no chance of promotion so I don't know how you come to this conclusion.

Surely the odds of relegation will be the same.

The salary cap will be there for the foreseeable future.

Five extra clubs from the current Div 2 will be relegated to the nuclear wasteland that is currently Div 3.

Fev only have a chance of promotion or success in the top division while they have a big backer. Under the current set-up or the new one.

With promotion and relegation, Fev (or any Div 2 club) will need to finish above teams in their own division. With the three eights garbage, they'll need to do that and a $uperleague team as well.

30 games a season is far too many. We talk about over-playing players and then stick a few more games on their workload.

I don't know where you're coming from Gaz.

#20 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:42 PM

Surely the odds of relegation will be the same.

The salary cap will be there for the foreseeable future.

Five extra clubs from the current Div 2 will be relegated to the nuclear wasteland that is currently Div 3.

Fev only have a chance of promotion or success in the top division while they have a big backer. Under the current set-up or the new one.

With promotion and relegation, Fev (or any Div 2 club) will need to finish above teams in their own division. With the three eights garbage, they'll need to do that and a $uperleague team as well.

30 games a season is far too many. We talk about over-playing players and then stick a few more games on their workload.

I don't know where you're coming from Gaz.

Richie read my earlier post Ive stated I'm not for the idea I don't like it one bit. I was saying that the champ clubs that survive the cut have a great chance of not being relegated that's all I was getting at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users