Championship RFL meetings

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,869 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:42 PM

Agree Keith but the salary cap will be too big for a champ club to get into SL1 and it will be the old yo yo effect if one does happen to get in.( unless in our case feisal does what he promises and bankrolls us into being one of the top 3 clubs in the country). As for the middle 8 I think its for more funds as I think its to replace the NRC. ( I could be wrong but I think that's what the RFL are looking into).

You are completely missing the point Gaz. What exactly are all the clubs from 5th to 12th playing for? What is their incentive for playing the 7 games after a full season? As I said who is Champions of the SL2 the team that finishes top and doesn't play in the second sections 7 games or the team that finished 5th and does play in those 7 games?

Don't forget that if Toulouse are accepted in to SL1 for 2015, three current SL teams will come down to SL2 which means that 5 current Championship clubs will drop in to what is now Championship 1 which is to be divided in to two leagues (north and South). So Championship clubs have to finish in the top 9 next season in order to be assured of a place in SL2 the following season. Where do you think the extra money will be spent by the clubs?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#22 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:12 PM

You are completely missing the point Gaz. What exactly are all the clubs from 5th to 12th playing for? What is their incentive for playing the 7 games after a full season? As I said who is Champions of the SL2 the team that finishes top and doesn't play in the second sections 7 games or the team that finished 5th and does play in those 7 games?

Don't forget that if Toulouse are accepted in to SL1 for 2015, three current SL teams will come down to SL2 which means that 5 current Championship clubs will drop in to what is now Championship 1 which is to be divided in to two leagues (north and South). So Championship clubs have to finish in the top 9 next season in order to be assured of a place in SL2 the following season. Where do you think the extra money will be spent by the clubs?

Keith have you ever thought that the lower clubs that have voted in favour of the 3x8 option don't want to be in SL2 as they can't afford to fund it?(Just a thought). 5th to 8th their season ends doesn't it when the 3x8s comes into action? As I see it the 3x8ths are the top 8 in SL1 the bottom 4 of SL1 against the top 4 of SL2 and the bottom 4 of SL2 against the top 2 of the north league and the top 2 of the south league.Champions of SL2 will be the league winners and same goes for the north and south leagues as far as I know.

Edited by thundergaz, 23 July 2013 - 03:17 PM.

#23 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,869 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:36 PM

Gaz the 3 x eights are 1. Top 8 in SL1, 2. Bottom four in SL1 and top four from Championship (or SL2) and 3. 5th to 12th clubs in Championship (or SL2). The North / South leagues are what is now the Championship 1 but split in to two leagues.

So, again the same question, what are they playing for in the third group of 8 other than avoiding bottom position?

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#24 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:01 PM

Gaz the 3 x eights are 1. Top 8 in SL1, 2. Bottom four in SL1 and top four from Championship (or SL2) and 3. 5th to 12th clubs in Championship (or SL2). The North / South leagues are what is now the Championship 1 but split in to two leagues.

So, again the same question, what are they playing for in the third group of 8 other than avoiding bottom position?

If that is the case Keith(which I honestly don't know) as I thought the last 8 was the bottom 4 of SL2 against the top 2 of the north league and the top 2 of the south league. But if you are right Keith then as you say it seems pointless unless their play offs will be played for a pot of cash.

#25 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,474 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:44 PM

surely you don't expect the bod to post everything that goes on within the board in a fans forum.

Correct we don't but it would be nice to know were getting represented & which direction our club are aiming for.

#26 Alias

Alias
  • Coach
  • 247 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:48 PM

Correct we don't but it would be nice to know were getting represented & which direction our club are aiming for.

Why not have a word with one of the directors when u see them ? I'm sure they'd be happy to put u in the picture. . They seem very approachable

#27 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,474 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:34 PM

Why not have a word with one of the directors when u see them ? I'm sure they'd be happy to put u in the picture. . They seem very approachable

I'd imagine they are fairly busy doing Director stuff on match days but may have time for an in depth chat but if not next time their in Texas i'll ask them ;) 

#28 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,869 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:28 PM

If that is the case Keith(which I honestly don't know) as I thought the last 8 was the bottom 4 of SL2 against the top 2 of the north league and the top 2 of the south league. But if you are right Keith then as you say it seems pointless unless their play offs will be played for a pot of cash.

Gaz, try looking at it like this.

SL1 - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

SL2 - A B C D E F G H I J K L

1st group of 8 - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

2nd group of 8 - 9 10 11 12 A B C D (Top 4 go up to SL1 next season)

3rd group of 8 - E F G H I J K L (Bottom club relegated to Champ 1)

#29 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,564 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:01 PM

We seem to have got away from my original comment. This point has still not been answered. Do we have a representative at the Championship meetings. If we don't we certainly should have. As far as I'm aware decisions are made by a show of hands on nominations. It's vital that we take part in these votes. Ideally matters to be discussed at Championship meetings should be communicated to supporters first. I realize this is not always possible but matters to be discussed should at the very least be considered by the directors.

Posted Image

#30 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:46 PM

As far as I am aware Super League and Championship have separate meetings about every month and they are chaired by the RFL (usually Nigel Wood I think.). Every club is supposed to be represented at these meetings. I have no idea whether all Clubs are the same but we have never been told who our rep is and a report of the proceedings is never given.

I think it is particularly important at the moment because I don't recall ever seeing a report on the last meeting or two stating who has attended and which way our Club's vote has been cast. For example do we agree with the proposals for 2015 et al or indeed 2014.

I feel this is very important for the Clubs future.

I see no reason why we can't report what has happened at such meetings Michael or which way we voted.

If you would like to tell me the vehicle you used for formally informing all supporters of such matters when you were on the BoD we will gladly replicate it.

Posted Image

#31 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,564 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:05 PM

Spot on Keith and you are quite correct. When I was on the BOD we should have kept supporters informed. I'm not making excuses but 10 years ago methods of communication were not as good as they are today.

Having said that we were always given advance notice of meetings and agendas. Peter Hornby and myself attended virtually all meetings and matters on the agenda were always discussed by the Board before and after the meetings.

Meetings were held at various locations, mainly in Yorkshire, and were chaired by Richard Lewis and Nigel Wood and others from RFL attended.

An attempt was made by RFL to move around the League and in fact one meeting was held at Craven Park. A bit nerve racking for Peter and myself getting the Board room organised.

As a point of interest it was said that if any Club missed 3 consecutive meetings sanctions would be imposed. I don't know whether the RFL ever instituted these regulations. The meetings were very useful for meeting directors of other Clubs and for discussing common problems.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users