TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Royal baby

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#81 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,836 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:53 PM

Does that really matter? Wales is just a bump on the side of England in any case.

Yes, and the Vatican is just a suburb of Rome. And Gibraltar is just any old bit of Spain.

:tongue:

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#82 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,448 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:02 PM

Yes, and the Vatican is just a suburb of Rome. And Gibraltar is just any old bit of Spain.
:tongue:

Yeah, Wales is practically just another English county. Not a proper country like Scotland.
Fides invicta triumphat

#83 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:17 PM

Yeah, Wales is practically just another English county. Not a proper country like Scotland.

Wales isn't a country, it's a principality.

Edited by archibald, 28 July 2013 - 03:17 PM.

#84 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,836 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:57 PM

That's a bit harsh.

Especially as the Welsh has accorded your home city of Gloucester with the privilege of having its own Welsh name ... Caerloyw. I don't speak Welsh but I am advised it translates as Settlement of the Silver Caravans.

#85 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,836 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:01 PM

Wales isn't a country, it's a principality.

On the contrary, that phrase indicates it's the principal country in Britain.

#86 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,448 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:06 PM

That's a bit harsh.

Especially as the Welsh has accorded your home city of Gloucester with the privilege of having its own Welsh name ... Caerloyw. I don't speak Welsh but I am advised it translates as Settlement of the Silver Caravans.

Yeah, well the Welsh can shove that name up their arses :P. my problem with the welsh is the massive inferiority complex they have.
Fides invicta triumphat

#87 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,881 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:01 PM

Yeah, well the Welsh can shove that name up their arses :P. my problem with the welsh is the massive inferiority complex they have.

You lot in East Wales should be grateful we let you 'orrible Saxon types squat in our outlying regions. :P 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#88 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,673 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:23 PM

my problem with the welsh is the massive inferiority complex they have.

After the last 6 nations many of them seem to have shaken that off and gone too far the other way. Listening to some of them you would think the 2015 RWC was a sure thing for the men in Red....quickly forgetting recent losses to Samoa, Ireland and most SH teams (sorry Craig I am not trying to derail the thread with a RU discussion...honest Guv).

#89 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,740 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:06 PM

This Royal Baby news just in.

#90 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:20 PM

It's not a complex.

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#91 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,836 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:26 PM

No, we have to keep everything simple so that the English can understand it.

#92 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:53 PM

Isn't David a Celtic name, normally rendered in Welsh as Dafydd?

I was in St David's last month on the tip of Pembrokeshire, and St David's Cathedral is well worth a visit.

No, it's a Hebrew name taken from the Bible. Think about King David of Israel.

David is the English form, Dafydd is the Welsh form.

Edited by Northern Sol, 29 July 2013 - 05:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users