Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Catalan away support

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Gregory

Gregory
  • Coach
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

Catalan always seem to be extremely strong at home and possible Grand Final contenders, but are consistently let down by their indifferent away form. Obviously the vast amount of travelling they have to do may partly account for this. Do they bring many supporters with them? 

#2 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:42 PM

very few.

In the cup tie at Batley a couple of years back the only support they had were a few relatives and wives of the players who had either travelled with them or came to the game as they were in Britain.

Cant blame them to be fair, it would cost a fortune to follow them home and away all season.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#3 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 392 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

You definitely can't blame them. Whilst for fans of every other SL club Catalans away is an annual event giving them the chance to visit the South of France, every away game for the Catalans fans is a massive slog involving visting some not very pleasant Northern English towns.

#4 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:58 PM

You definitely can't blame them. Whilst for fans of every other SL club Catalans away is an annual event giving them the chance to visit the South of France, every away game for the Catalans fans is a massive slog involving visting some not very pleasant Northern English towns.

Jesus Christ

One day we'll get a thread which doesn't slag off the place where the game is played.

There really is no wonder we can't spread our game.

#5 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 392 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:05 PM

Jesus Christ

One day we'll get a thread which doesn't slag off the place where the game is played.

That was just an honest assessment of this particular situation. If you were a Catalans fan living in Perpignan would you be inclined to spend thousands of pounds travelling to Castelford, Wakefield, Wigan, Widnes, Warrington etc?

#6 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

very few.

In the cup tie at Batley a couple of years back the only support they had were a few relatives and wives of the players who had either travelled with them or came to the game as they were in Britain.

Cant blame them to be fair, it would cost a fortune to follow them home and away all season.

Interestingly, around 200-250 Catalans fans go to occasions like Magic weekend, The CCF and GF. They also travel in blocks to certain fixtures on official tours - there have been 100-200 at Leeds, Wigan etc. on occasions. The tours are normally maybe a Sun-Fri turn around (2 games) or linked to other big occasions/fixtures.

Outside of these there really is no criticism for 20-30 fans to travel to other away games. Of those, most fans maybe only go 2-3 times so there will be a spread of different visitors over the season.

#7 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,823 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:45 PM

Jesus Christ

saying that some of the towns where SL teams are based are not attractive for a weekend away for Catalan fans has nothing to do with spreading our game.

#8 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:02 PM

saying that some of the towns where SL teams are based are not attractive for a weekend away for Catalan fans has nothing to do with spreading our game.

It's just a general attitude to the games heartland, we talk it down all the time. 

#9 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

Catalans' away support is one of the arguments tabled when suggesting they bring nothing to the game (yes, I have actually argued against this).

My response is always: Catalans away support is irrelevent; they weren't included in super league for this. French and Catalans clubs are not involved to bring cash in to the British-based teams. That isn't their purpose and it never will be.

Edited by HKR AWAY DAYS, 23 July 2013 - 02:19 PM.

#10 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,823 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:19 PM

It's just a general attitude to the games heartland, we talk it down all the time. 

people don't have to like the towns.

I'd never consider having a short break in Wigan, but it is a fantastic Rugby League club.

#11 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:38 PM

Most of the towns and cities in the north of England have a strong industrial [post industrial?]heritage, but are none the worse for that. We can't all be York or Chester, but there is plenty to do and see in, or around, pretty much all the cities as the many who, believe it or not, take holidays in the area to the north of Bradford and Leeds would no doubt testify. I think the idea that similar numbers are going to come from southern France as go the other way is rediculous to ber honest.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#12 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:39 PM

A lot of the Catalans "away" supporters are actually people who live in Britain. Before Crusaders moved to Wrexham there were several people in North Wales who supported Catalans. About 16 all told actually, and when NW Crusaders didn't have a game a couple of weeks ago quite a few of them went to Perpignan for the London match.

#13 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,823 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

Most of the towns and cities in the north of England have a strong industrial [post industrial?]heritage, but are none the worse for that. We can't all be York or Chester, but there is plenty to do and see in, or around, pretty much all the cities as the many who, believe it or not, take holidays in the area to the north of Bradford and Leeds would no doubt testify. I think the idea that similar numbers are going to come from southern France as go the other way is rediculous to ber honest.

If I lived in the South of France and had plenty of money, I could easily make a case for following my team to London and Manchester (Magic). I would then also pick a decent North West game and a decent Yorkshir game - there are plenty of nice places to stay, whether it is a major city (Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds etc) or staying in the countryside (The Lakes or Yorkshire Dales for example).

Even if I was rich I would only make 3-4 trips a year though - I suspect most who do travel will make 1, maybe 2.

#14 barnyia

barnyia
  • Coach
  • 380 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:04 PM

My team in the south of France come to England every year and they love it, they love Wigan and blackpool, ! Some of them are going back again in September!

#15 barnyia

barnyia
  • Coach
  • 380 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:05 PM

It's not for the scenery and food though!

#16 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

http://gouk.about.co...ss/top20_14.htm Shame we're not in Super League D:

It's time to park the camels.

#17 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:33 PM

Interesting concept though. Populate the SL with teams from towns and cities that are worth going to for a long weekend. Let's see who of the current bunch would survive the cull and who from outside the SL would be welcomed in? Existing semi pro and pro teams only.

rldfsignature.jpg

#18 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:14 PM

I think it has much to do with actually living in the heartland towns. Your home town has seen better days, is still suffering problems caused by industrial decline and, sometimes, serious lack of future prospects, and doesn't seem to have the glamour and attractions other, more fortunate areas. When I moved away, though, I started discovering people going to Manchester for city breaks, and even places like Halifax cropped up in conversations about holidays.

Personally, I could incorporate a game at any heartland club into a decent and attractive weekend break.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#19 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:26 AM

You could well tick two boxes for York. I was pleasantly surprised for the Knights game in Perpignan for Cup match recently that how well covered the game was by both BBC Radio York as well as a reporter from their local paper. They do better than some of the counties SL clubs too.

As Alan Walsh mentions his Minervois club regularly come over the Channel & take in games. Lots of junior sides have been coming over to the UK for years long before the Catalans arrived in SL.
si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#20 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:56 AM

Interesting concept though. Populate the SL with teams from towns and cities that are worth going to for a long weekend. Let's see who of the current bunch would survive the cull and who from outside the SL would be welcomed in? Existing semi pro and pro teams only.

London safe in SL for ever then!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users