Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Catalan away support

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:08 PM

That was just an honest assessment of this particular situation. If you were a Catalans fan living in Perpignan would you be inclined to spend thousands of pounds travelling to Castelford, Wakefield, Wigan, Widnes, Warrington etc?

No, but I might well be inclined to visit Yorkshire in general.  Particularly after the Tour De France next year.

Incidentally - it might be a good idea for the Giants to play their home match against the Catalans on the Tour De France dates next year.  Could be some interesting marketing tie-ups and piggybacking to be done.

BTW,  Wakefield is a globally regarded centre for modern sculpture. 

That's me.  I'm done.

#22 crusadin_photoman

crusadin_photoman
  • Coach
  • 266 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:41 PM

• Slightly off topic. Is there a French Magic Weekend this year? If so where and when please.

#23 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:46 PM

London safe in SL for ever then!

Not if they were based somewhere like Tower Hamlets.

rldfsignature.jpg

#24 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,921 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:49 PM

Bill Bryson, Notes From a Small Island.

Such was the picture of appalling squalor Orwell painted that even now I was startled to find how neat and well maintained Wigan appeared to be as we entered it by means of a long hill. I got off at the bottom, pleased to return to the fresh air, and set off in search of the famous pier. Wigan Pier is an arresting landmark, yet - and here's another reason to be a bit cautious with regard to old George's reporting skills - after spending some days in the town, he concluded that the pier had been demolished. (So too, for that matter, did Paul Theroux in Kingdom by the Sea.) Now correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you think it a bit odd to write a book called The Road to Wigan Pier and to spend some days in the town and never once think to ask anybody whether the pier was still there or not?

Wigan, and many other Northern Towns may not be the Cotswolds, but a lot are not as bad as painted by those who live there.

Many of these towns are within less than an hour from 4 National Parks, Snowdonia, Peak District, Lake District and the Yorkshire Dales.

Wigan is the Greenest of the 10 Associated Manchester Authorities.

Warrington and WIgan both sit on the West Coast Main Line making London only a fraction over 2 hours away. Both these towns have great East West links to Manchester and Liverpool by road and Rail.

Leeds, Bradford and Huddersfield are a great gateway to North Yorkshire, York and Harrogate.

We shouldn't only look at can we attract people to RL games by what we can offer on our doorstep, but look from the outside in. Can we use visitors to places that surround our clubs to come to games by working closer and pushing offers through the tourist agencies.

Saints v Wigan on a Monday night in the middle of summer with Blackpool on the doorstep should be looking at getting people on Holiday there to the game, it should be a joint marketing venture with both clubs doing a reciprocal deal for each game.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#25 barnyia

barnyia
  • Coach
  • 353 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:59 AM

• Slightly off topic. Is there a French Magic Weekend this year? If so where and when please.

There is a magic weekend at Montpellier but only for the elite 2 clubs

#26 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:21 AM

As somebody who likes to travel to games for weekends, I'd say the biggest barrier to away fans travelling is the scheduling. Almost all fixtures are on Friday night or Sunday arvo, making it difficult to travel for a weekend.

I know we need a Sky game on Friday night, but why do 3-4 other games have to be on the same night? Having Saturday night games in SL would be fantastic for travelling fans.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#27 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:25 AM

That was just an honest assessment of this particular situation. If you were a Catalans fan living in Perpignan would you be inclined to spend thousands of pounds travelling to Castelford, Wakefield, Wigan, Widnes, Warrington etc?

Whilst I agree with this point your original statement is way over the top.

Do you think they would follow more if they were playing in nice places ie towns further south

#28 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

Whilst I agree with this point your original statement is way over the top.

Do you think they would follow more if they were playing in nice places ie towns further south

There are plenty of 'nice' places in the north and a good few depressed areas further south - it's not all Welwyn Garden City below the midlands. Thing is, in the great scheme of things, it's totally irrelevant to how may towns are 'nice' or otherwise. We go over there to Perpignan[ which I consider very nice] one weekend per season if they were come to England for each away game it would be 13 times, common sense and very basic economics tells us that very few will come more than once - even if the all the games were played in the most picturesque and touristy area of the country.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#29 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 390 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:33 PM

There are plenty of 'nice' places in the north and a good few depressed areas further south - it's not all Welwyn Garden City below the midlands. Thing is, in the great scheme of things, it's totally irrelevant to how may towns are 'nice' or otherwise. We go over there to Perpignan[ which I consider very nice] one weekend per season if they were come to England for each away game it would be 13 times, common sense and very basic economics tells us that very few will come more than once - even if the all the games were played in the most picturesque and touristy area of the country.

Yeah, that was the more important part of my point I guess. I was being a bit mean about the heartland towns really, although coming from Bolton I do feel qualified to give that opinion!

#30 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:18 PM

Yeah, that was the more important part of my point I guess. I was being a bit mean about the heartland towns really, although coming from Bolton I do feel qualified to give that opinion!

I was ready to lace into you after your derogatory comments regarding northern towns and cities but since you come from Bolton I totally understand where you're coming from (in the critical sense).

rldfsignature.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users