Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

wakey/widnes crowd trouble video

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#21 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,314 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:04 PM

Looks like the stewards did what they could. Why should they take any blame?  Punish the guilty and then fine both clubs and get them to put their houses in order. 

( maybe arm the stewards with tazers and pepper spray)

Edited by JohnM, 23 July 2013 - 03:05 PM.

#22 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,100 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:33 PM

Looks like the stewards did what they could. Why should they take any blame?  Punish the guilty and then fine both clubs and get them to put their houses in order. 

( maybe arm the stewards with tazers and pepper spray)

As part of any investigation, they will no doubt look at whether the stewards followed the correct procedures for this kind of incident - if they didn't then they should take some of the blame.

The club has a responsibility for the safety of other fans, and tbh this could have turned really quite nasty if a few more of the scrotes had been more prepared to get involved.

Whether this is stewards or dedicated security is one for them to make the call, but trouble like this inside a stadium is not great.

#23 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,922 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

I think all that video highlights is how poor these lot are at fighting. I hope they watch it, realise how bad they are at it, and give it up!

Embarrassing. All their 'mate' would be ashamed.
Posted Image

#24 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 753 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:10 PM

It was quite embarrasing really. Especially when they started chanting the name of their respective towns at each other in the same way. Very childish.
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#25 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:41 PM

I blame Wakefield for employing such poor stewards. Next time, Robocops...!!

Poor scenes, stewards did well considering they were out-numbered by both troublesome factions. They provide safety for everyone in the ground, but they must protect themselves first. Stewards do a thankless task so should be supported and assisted in doing their jobs.

#26 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:52 PM

It's not the stewards job to break up a fight

But it is their job to stop it happening. A quiet word before it got ugly or simply walking over to stand in the middle would have shut it down, and if not, call the plod whose job it is

Still it's poor stewarding IMO - probably watching the game not the crowd

#27 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:13 PM

If people are going to fight they're going to fight. Stewards are not 'all-seeing'. Some things are completely out of their control.

Edited by HKR AWAY DAYS, 23 July 2013 - 05:14 PM.

#28 bar red

bar red
  • Coach
  • 117 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:22 PM

It's not the stewards job to break up a fight

But it is their job to stop it happening. A quiet word before it got ugly or simply walking over to stand in the middle would have shut it down, and if not, call the plod whose job it is

Still it's poor stewarding IMO - probably watching the game not the crowd

I cannot see why anybody is blaming the stewards. A few p+ssed up idiots having one too many. They stepped in when they needed to and sorted out the worst culprits. It wasn`t exactly life threatening , there was a  young lady in white standing virtually in the middle of it who never appeared bothered. Not exactly a re-occurance of the football riots of the 70s/80s.!, just a few drunken dicks who wouldn`t remember anything the next day. Fine/ban the worst offenders but don`t blow it out of proportion!

#29 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,993 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:22 PM

If people are going to fight they're going to fight. Stewards are not 'all-seeing'. Some things are completely out of their control.

Come on then...I'll 'ave yer...

Did you spill my pint?

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#30 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:52 PM

Trinity have contributed to this by consistently employing stewards/security who stand next to foul mouthed fans and say nothing. Added to this they have created a frontier/boundary between sets of idiots by having a half baked attempt at segregation (which in my view is not needed as mixing fans self police very well, especially when there are stewards worthy of the name).

However the real fuel for any skirmishes has been the Glover policy of putting as many bars as possible into every nook and cranny staffed by inexperienced staff flogging bottles of lager to as many people as possible whatever state they are already in.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 23 July 2013 - 05:53 PM.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#31 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:10 PM

Found the blond girl very amusing though, making sure she stayed in camera shot, as if she was the star of some kind of reality tv show!

#32 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:22 PM

Bet there will be a few embarrassed chavs about now after regaling their mates with tales of how they took on 5 of them and chinned the lot.

#33 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:09 PM

Trinity have contributed to this by consistently employing stewards/security who stand next to foul mouthed fans and say nothing. Added to this they have created a frontier/boundary between sets of idiots by having a half baked attempt at segregation (which in my view is not needed as mixing fans self police very well, especially when there are stewards worthy of the name).
However the real fuel for any skirmishes has been the Glover policy of putting as many bars as possible into every nook and cranny staffed by inexperienced staff flogging bottles of lager to as many people as possible whatever state they are already in.

Semi feral louts Larry. The cheque's in the post btw, damned Eagles!
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#34 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:13 PM

Semi feral louts Larry. The cheque's in the post btw, damned Eagles!

Cheque - Should I send you a fax to confirm receipt?

This is exactly why the smart bit at Post Office Road is the 1921 suite, after the current year there.

#35 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,451 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:13 PM

The stewards  should have called the police, not let anyone into the ground and then pointed out the ringleaders when the police arrived.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#36 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:15 PM

The stewards should have called the police, not let anyone into the ground and then pointed out the ringleaders when the police arrived.

Do they have the power to detain? I ask because I don't know.

#37 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:16 PM

Handbags.....

#38 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:18 PM

Handbags.....

Irrelevant. Violence and intimidatory behaviour is not welcome.

#39 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:33 PM

Cheque - Should I send you a fax to confirm receipt?
This is exactly why the smart bit at Post Office Road is the 1921 suite, after the current year there.

Aye, as everyone knows, we're a backward lot at Fev.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#40 Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor
  • Coach
  • 7,726 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:58 PM

The stewards that Wakefield use are called Key Security, the same at Featherstone and quite possible Castleford.

They will be fully trained to deal with situations like that.

As Gav quite rightly says, has this been handed into the right authorities? All clubs have issues, lets stamp it out and not ruin it for the genuine people of the game.
2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year