Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

End Of Season Positions

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 342 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:54 PM

Position Club                   Played    Current Points     Games Left      My Points Prediction     Final Points      Final Position

1           OLDHAM                12               30                           4                             9                             39                        2

2           NORTH WALES      10                 28                         6                             18                               46                        1

3           HEMEL                   11                21                           5                             12                               33                        3

4           OXFORD                12                 21                          4                                0                               21                        6

5           LONDON               10                 20                          6                                9                               29                        5

6           ROCHDALE            11                 19                        5                              12                               31                       4

7           SOUTH WALES      12                  17                          4                                3                               20                       7

8           GATESHEAD          11                   9                          5                                0                                 9                        9

9           GLOUCESTER        11                   7                          5                                3                               10                        8

I have been going through the remaining fixtures for the season and have made my end of season predictions. I have not allowed for bonus points from the remaining fixtures. What is clearly important is that we must not allow any team to go away with a bonus point from Spotland. Oh and by the way I have predicted that we will lose at home to Oldham. May I be struck down dead.

Rochdale V Oxford     Home

Gloucester V London   Away

Oldham V North Wales   Away

South Wales V Gateshead   Home

Gloucester V Hemel    Away

Gateshead V North Wales     Away

Hemel V Oxford     Home

London V Oldham    Away

Rochdale V South Wales     Home

North Wales V Hemel     Home

Oldham V Gloucester    Home

Rochdale V Gateshead     Home

South Wales V London     Away

Rochdale V Oldham     Away

Gloucester V Gateshead     Home

Hemel V London    Home

North Wales V Oxford     Home

London V North Wales    Away

Gateshead V Hemel     Away

North Wales V South Wales     Home

Oxford V London    Away

Rochdale V Gloucester    Home

First get automatic promotion. 2nd to 6th in playoffs.

Week 1

2nd place get a bye. 3rd play 4th (match A), 5th play 6th (Match B )

Week 2

2nd-placed team v Winner Match A (winner to Play-off final, loser at home in Week 3) (Match C)

Losing team Match A v Winning team match B (loser eliminated) (Match D)

Week 3

Losing team Match C v Winner Match D (winner to Play-off final, loser eliminated) (Match E)

Week 4

Kingstone Press Championship One play-off final: Winner Match C v Winner Match E

Edited by Big Doug, 23 July 2013 - 07:59 PM.

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW

#2 fillipo del toro

fillipo del toro
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

Dont think you will be far off Big Doug.

Phil Bull.

Hopefully my post are viewed as positive, and I cannot be held responsible for causing any offence to anyone associated with this message board

#3 Pedro

Pedro
  • Players
  • 83 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:11 PM

Got to agree with most of Doug's prediction but would probably put us 5th and London 4th. I'm hoping for a better season next year having written this one off.

#4 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 342 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:24 PM

As I have stated the bonus points are going to play a major factor in the end result. We have not put enough importance on them to date.

It is clear that if we are going to be successful we are going to have to do it on the road. Our performances away from home do not give you the feeling that the end result will be a good one. I just hope that i am wrong and that we do the business.

#5 ormskirknet

ormskirknet
  • Players
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:23 AM

Well Big Doug that put things into perspective doesnt it, even if we put in some fantastic performances in these last 5 home games we've still got lots to do.

We are going to have to be faultless now, starting with the 5 home games right through to the play-offs, can we do it?.....

I believe (or should that read hope) we can do it.

It's almost a clean slate starting on Sunday, our season starts again with no excuses, no hiding places and this time we wont have any second chances. Hopefully the squad and coaches have had a good long hard look at themselves and a focused on what needs to happen.

Come on Hornets, believe!

#6 glemiln

glemiln
  • Coach
  • 193 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:11 AM

Hopefully the squad and coaches have had a good long hard look at themselves and a focused on what needs to happen.

It's a pity this focus was not inbuilt from the outset - defence had to be the key, particularly away from home in an effort to secure, at worst, a bonus point.

All the remaining games must be our cup finals, to secure full points and minimise the opposition's efforts as their bonus points and points difference will determine places. We should be aiming for 3rd, play-off success and out of this division.  Whichever teams are promoted, they will find it tough to survive therein, given the stronger and more experienced teams. However, it will be worth the effort and we can only hope Hornets have the performances in them.

If we remain in C1 next season, it will not get any easier to get out with the two ex-Championship sides entering the mix.

Whichever division, I feel that our consecutive 5 weeks away from home is a distinct disadvantage.  Ok, we have 5 home games to help our cause back on course, but the damage done in 3 dreadful away game performances may well prove to be unrepairable.

Should Hornets consider having their fixtures arranged on a normal home/away basis - then come the Spotland pitch repairs period, arrange to play one or two 'home' games at a neutral ground closer to home?

#7 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 342 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:24 PM

having seen the current state of the Spotland pitch it would have been possible to play home and away throughout the season. A five or six week break has done nothing to inprove the pitch. We should be telling the Stadium Company that it is not acceptable to play so many matches away from home. Other Clubs that share grounds with football clubs do not need to have 5 and 6 week breaks. We now have 5 home games on the bounce. God knows what Mr Hill will be saying this time about us using his sacred turf.

#8 StarfireHypervixen

StarfireHypervixen
  • Coach
  • 108 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:17 PM

Let Hill think what he will, he is irrelevant.

Hornets need to win all of the next 5 games, without conceeding any bonus points, and then win promotion. Ending this year still in Ch1, will, I think, sound a death knell for the (semi) pro game in Rochdale. When the Northern, and southern conference leagues come, they will be graveyards for has-been (or never-will-be) clubs.

Just sayin'

Living life in such a way, that when my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan says "Oh *@$^! She's awake!"

#9 PooingDog

PooingDog
  • Coach
  • 976 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:37 PM

Whilst the weather is good then to be honest any damage to the pitch by either team is relatively easily repaired, Hilly will only usually complain about Hornets using Spotland at the start of our season when the weather is a lot wetter, or if its not going too well for the Dale.
Memento mori

Who cares -Wins!!!

Carpe Cerevisi

AKA. Winston Smith

Give 'em a fair trial..........and then hang 'em"

#10 fillipo del toro

fillipo del toro
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:51 AM

or if its not going too well for the Dale.

So we can expect a complaint then?
Phil Bull.

Hopefully my post are viewed as positive, and I cannot be held responsible for causing any offence to anyone associated with this message board

#11 PooingDog

PooingDog
  • Coach
  • 976 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:27 AM

Possibly, but I'd suspect not till feb next year when the weather is cr&p

Edited by PooingDog, 26 July 2013 - 07:28 AM.

Memento mori

Who cares -Wins!!!

Carpe Cerevisi

AKA. Winston Smith

#12 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 342 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:47 AM

As much as I do not like Mr Hill It's only fair to say that they have had a good pre season. I hope that the results continue when the season starts. It would appear that he is able to get results with very average players on a small budget. If only IT could do the same.

#13 fillipo del toro

fillipo del toro
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:04 AM

As much as I do not like Mr Hill It's only fair to say that they have had a good pre season. I hope that the results continue when the season starts. It would appear that he is able to get results with very average players on a small budget. If only IT could do the same.

Big Doug, make yourself a member if you don't like it, and have your say. But i bet you wont! Joking apart. I agree the Dale seem to be doing okay, I wish them all the best. But yeah come law cup time. Expect Hilly to be well on the passing game, just like Brazil spin & suggesting Hornets are stopping this. I think if he came upto Spotland he'd actually realise that RL is not yawnion and is an above the ground sport. Sliding tackles, set plays & goalkeepers do as much if not more damage to a pitch than a few fat lads falling over.

I mean I had one Dale fan tell me about our rucks & mauls & 6" long studs we wear in the Flying Horse the other week! Clueless!
Phil Bull.

#14 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 342 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:43 PM

I am a member. Just as everyone should be.

I support all three games, League, Union and Football and have no time for those who support one and call the others.

I am believe that unless something is done by the Rugby Football League the semi professional game and the amateur game will die. The trial of summer rugby in the amateur has been a total disaster for all clubs.

#15 PooingDog

PooingDog
  • Coach
  • 976 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

So we can expect a complaint then?

Scratch my last comment, with all the rain last night we might just find ourselves on the end of a tongue lashing.
Memento mori

Who cares -Wins!!!

Carpe Cerevisi

AKA. Winston Smith

#16 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 342 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:03 PM

Following todays game against Oxford and the other results I have amended the season end projections.

Remaining games and projected results :- 

Gateshead V North Wales       Away win

Hemel V Oxford                        Home win

London V Oldham                     Away win

Rochdale V South Wales          Home win

North Wales V Hemel                Home win

Oldham V Gloucester               Home win

Rochdale V Gateshead             Home win

South Wales V London              Away win

Rochdale V Oldham                  Away win

Gloucester V Gateshead          Home win

Hemel V London                       Home win

North Wales V Oxford               Home win

London V North Wales             Away win

Gateshead V Hemel                  Away win

North Wales V South Wales     Home win

Oxford V London                      Away win

Rochdale V Gloucester            Home win

Position Club                   Played     Current Points       Games Left      My Points Prediction     Final Points    Final Position

1      OLDHAM              13                    33                         3                             9                                  42                      2

2      NORTH WALES    11                    28                         5                            15                                 43                      1

3      HEMEL                  12                    24                         4                              9                                 33                      3

4      OXFORD               13                    21                         3                              0                                  21                      6

5      LONDON              11                    23                         5                              6                                  29                      5

6      ROCHDALE           12                    22                         4                             9                                   31                     4

7      SOUTH WALES     13                   18                         3                              0                                   18                     7

8      GATESHEAD          12                   12                         4                             0                                    12                     8

9      GLOUCESTER        13                     9                         3                              3                                   11                     9

The bonus points scored by our rivals are not going going to be the killer I thought when our final league pisition is determined. Our main rival Hemel could only get one more point than I have predicted when they play away at North Wales. I would think that North Wales will want a little bit of revenge that day.

If we could win our four games, the hard one being Oldham, we should get 3rd on points difference over Hemel. But as we have said all four games are cup finals and must win games with no bonus points allowed. Bring it on. 

Edited by Big Doug, 02 August 2013 - 12:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users