Signing?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,759 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:34 AM

Don't forget that Greg Johnson had been out of the game a while, and yes,Batley was a way back for him, but he still had to be trained back to match fitness and he owes John Kear for taking a chance on him, which, if there's no firm offer for him, should run to another year's loyalty for that chance. We all have our opinions on each and every player, some we'd keep and some we wouldn't pay with buttons, so having seen the supposed list of those wanting away,there are thoase who I don't think have fulfilled their potential and I'm left wondering what another team think they can get out of them when John Kear hasn't managed it. We had 2 of the biggest men in Rugby League, Walmsley and Hirst.One couldn't wait to get onto the ball and break with it, the other never bursts onto a ball and makes heavy progress. Somebody thinks they can get him to! OH OH!

....and yet last season many on here were predicting Hirst to be a future star, thanks to JK's coaching prowess. Has he really gone back that much, is JK not as good as you said or are you lot just fickle?

Edited by Blind side johnny, 29 July 2013 - 08:35 AM.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#22 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:42 AM

....and yet last season many on here were predicting Hirst to be a future star, thanks to JK's coaching prowess. Has he really gone back that much, is JK not as good as you said or are you lot just fickle?

Hirst was excellent for us last season after joining us as pretty much a long-standing laughing stock. 2012 was the best season of his career by some way. What do you think sparked that dramatic turnaround? This season, and especially over the last two months, he's all on to just keep hold of possession. I fail to see how that's Kear's fault.

Posted Image

#23 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,759 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:55 AM

Hirst was excellent for us last season after joining us as pretty much a long-standing laughing stock. 2012 was the best season of his career by some way. What do you think sparked that dramatic turnaround? This season, and especially over the last two months, he's all on to just keep hold of possession. I fail to see how that's Kear's fault.

Understood. But the old saw states that class is permanent and form is temporary - I've never known a coach claim credit for class, though.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#24 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:11 PM

Not impressed with Brown at york on tonights performance. Was he being linked with us for next season?

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like

expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#25 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:25 PM

Not impressed with Brown at york on tonights performance. Was he being linked with us for next season?

He's being linked with everyone, it seems. Likely to end up at one of the top 3. They're the only clubs who could come close to equalling either his current rate of pay or what are likely to be his demands.

Edited by TheTerminator, 08 August 2013 - 10:54 PM.

Posted Image

#26 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,759 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:12 AM

Half backs never look good behind a poor pack though do they? Enough people have rated him over the last couple of years to convince bidding clubs that he is worthwhile.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#27 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,759 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:16 AM

He's being linked with everyone, it seems. Likely to end up at one of the top 3. They're the only clubs who could come close to equalling either his current rate of pay or what are likely to be his demands.

An interesting comment Terminator. We have heard a lot on many forums about the increased demands that players/agents are making for next season yet, if my understanding is correct, many clubs will be operating on reduced budgets next year. This is partly due to a reduction in money from the RFL as well as a continuing decline in gate income. It would be intriguing to know where the extra money might come from to meet these increased demands. I suspect that there will be quite a few disappointed players combined with struggling clubs next year - prudence will be the key.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#28 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:35 AM

Half backs never look good behind a poor pack though do they? Enough people have rated him over the last couple of years to convince bidding clubs that he is worthwhile.

He's over rated BSJ. He's got a very good kicking game but that's it. He can't run with the ball and find gaps etc. I wouldn't touch him if I'm honest. The eagles didn't let him go for no reason and they've replaced him with a better player IMO.

#29 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:43 AM

He's over rated BSJ. He's got a very good kicking game but that's it. He can't run with the ball and find gaps etc. I wouldn't touch him if I'm honest. The eagles didn't let him go for no reason and they've replaced him with a better player IMO.

Good player that Patch Walker who replaced Brown !

#30 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:09 PM

Didn't Sheffield sign Walker from obscurity?

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like

expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#31 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:51 PM

An interesting comment Terminator. We have heard a lot on many forums about the increased demands that players/agents are making for next season yet, if my understanding is correct, many clubs will be operating on reduced budgets next year. This is partly due to a reduction in money from the RFL as well as a continuing decline in gate income. It would be intriguing to know where the extra money might come from to meet these increased demands. I suspect that there will be quite a few disappointed players combined with struggling clubs next year - prudence will be the key.

I think some clubs will be going for broke next season if the new make up of the leagues take effect so that they are in the promised land of SL2 (or whatever it will be called). An increase from the £90k received from the RFL this season to a minimum of £200k rising to £600k (if what is being discussed comes to fruition) is not to be sneezed at and I think some BOD's will go for it.

#32 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,759 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:09 PM

I think some clubs will be going for broke next season if the new make up of the leagues take effect so that they are in the promised land of SL2 (or whatever it will be called). An increase from the £90k received from the RFL this season to a minimum of £200k rising to £600k (if what is being discussed comes to fruition) is not to be sneezed at and I think some BOD's will go for it.

I agree that some may, but may also struggle to fill the gap that next season's income shortfall will produce. The probability is that only 8 clubs from next year's Championship will make the new SL2 (or whatever) so there may be some very risky gambles taken. I prefer prudence.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#33 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 542 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:54 PM

What a boring Know it all you are BSJ why not send people to sleep on the on the shams forum and give us a break 

#34 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,759 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:32 PM

What a boring Know it all you are BSJ why not send people to sleep on the on the shams forum and give us a break 

Thanks for the complement Greavesy - I didn't know I knew it all, and now I do.

Funny how it's taken you 11 days to catch up with postings, mind.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#35 henry oulton

henry oulton
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:46 AM

on a seperate note bsj... do u fancy the rams chances of top 8? looking at the run-ins its gunna be deserved if they make it! (workington have much more "winable" games)
a top 4 finish for the dogs might just be still on the cards but im not holding my breath.
suppose it would be nice to mee in playoffs 4th v 8th?

#36 henry oulton

henry oulton
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:46 AM

5th v 8th!

#37 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,759 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:31 AM

on a seperate note bsj... do u fancy the rams chances of top 8? looking at the run-ins its gunna be deserved if they make it! (workington have much more "winable" games)
a top 4 finish for the dogs might just be still on the cards but im not holding my breath.
suppose it would be nice to mee in playoffs 4th v 8th?

I can comment more accurately after the Doncaster game but reckon we'll just miss out, although some end of season games are difficult to predict. Our last match is at Leigh and they may already have nothing to play for at that time, so a surprise might be possible. On the other hand we're playing some pretty unimaginative stuff, so 9th looks nailed on.

A match against the Dogs would be a great way to end the season, mind!

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#38 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 542 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:16 PM

Thanks for the complement Greavesy - I didn't know I knew it all, and now I do.

Funny how it's taken you 11 days to catch up with postings, mind.

I try not to read your posts BSJ as i soon feel the need for some sleep my eyelids are already feeling heavy must move on.

#39 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 555 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:17 PM

I can comment more accurately after the Doncaster game but reckon we'll just miss out, although some end of season games are difficult to predict. Our last match is at Leigh and they may already have nothing to play for at that time, so a surprise might be possible. On the other hand we're playing some pretty unimaginative stuff, so 9th looks nailed on.

A match against the Dogs would be a great way to end the season, mind!

Nice of you to say 'a great way to end the season' :tongue:

#40 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,759 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:25 PM

Nice of you to say 'a great way to end the season' :tongue:

Intentional Bi11. The gap is still too great.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users