Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

28/07/13 - The Kingstone Press Championship 1 Match Thread

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 612 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:34 PM

He'll get on as a substitute.

Very witty!!  I meant do you think he will be a natural, be totally out of his depth, be unfit, flake out after his first tackle (remember Alfie!). Personally I think he will turn out to be a good player but he was prone to knocking on in RU and I would expect player to attack his arms in the tackle. He will need to up his fitness levels to get into the Wigan side but I can see him playing for them before the end of the season.

#22 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:49 PM

I am more interested to see if he gets any more people through the turnstile down there.

#23 WelshpoolMarauder

WelshpoolMarauder
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:37 PM

I am more interested to see if he gets any more people through the turnstile down there.

It's a shame that the Scorpions didn't have a few more days to push the fact he's playing for them, I suspect it would get a few curious punters through the door, which could have tied in nicely with the World Cup being in town as well.

Personally, I think he'll do pretty well. He might not know the intricacies of the game yet, but if you're good enough to play top level domestic RU, you're good enough to play third-tier RL - he'll be bigger than the majority of players he's likely to find at this level, and he'll be fitter (these lads are semi-pros, let us not forget), and that should carry him through at the very least.

Whilst Alfie did get a smashing in that first game, he was thrown in after about a week, in a Super League game, and played some good stuff once he acclimatised. Whilst Crusaders couldn't afford financially not to throw Alfie in the deep-end, Wigan seem to be taking their time about Powell - I just hope they give him enough game time so he can compete for a World Cup place.

#24 clwydianrange

clwydianrange
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:26 PM

We could see 4 away wins this sunday!

#25 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:10 PM

Well done Thunder on their win! 

#26 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,107 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:50 PM

2 home wins and 2 away.

And a big win for Oldham.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#27 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:50 PM

oldham beat NW crusaders 28-10....attendance 1200+

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#28 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 559 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

And denying them the bonus point. Get in. They're still in the driving seat though. All we can do is win all our games and hope crusaders slip up again.

#29 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

Could be quite a fight for promotion between Oldham and Crusaders when for most of the season the Cru have looked confident of finishing top. 

#30 Number 7

Number 7
  • Coach
  • 136 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:12 PM

Well played the roughyeds a deserved win imo, not sure who was counting on the turnstiles tho' 8-900 maximum imho, even the home stewards near me just shook their heads when 1200 was announced.

#31 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,107 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:22 PM

Well played the roughyeds a deserved win imo, not sure who was counting on the turnstiles tho' 8-900 maximum imho, even the home stewards near me just shook their heads when 1200 was announced.

Yes with our great relationship with the taxman it's always a good idea to over declare the attendance...

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#32 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:47 PM

Well done Oldham on a thoroughly deserved victory, but having been at the Oldham .v. Scorpions game a couple of weeks ago I have to say that I was also astounded when they gave the crowd as over 1000. That is a lie, or somebody can't count! I really would have preferred to just congratulated Oldham and leave it at that but the crowd was nowhere near 1000.

#33 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:48 PM

PS great win for Gateshead today. Really made up for you lads. See you next week.

#34 ThunderArmy

ThunderArmy
  • Coach
  • 194 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:08 PM

over the moon with our win today at south wales scorpions....been really tough last 4 seasons being bottom every season, though we've improved alot this season and its great to get another win finally really happy onwards and upwards....COME ON THUNDER! COME ON THUNDER!!

#35 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,822 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:11 PM

Even though other posters are claiming only 900 were there, that would still be way above any other attendance at Oldham this season. Just goes to show that promotion battles do attract top attendances.

I really like the Crusaders, their organisation, their coach and their support but Oldham dearly need some luck and promotion  to kick start a revival in this legendary RL outpost. They have had so many near misses and losses in playoff finals, they almost seem cursed.

Sounds like the game was a good advert for CC1 rugby. A positive moment.

#36 Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein
  • Coach
  • 183 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:58 PM

1200 looked to be about right to me.

Enjoyed the game. Two good sets of supporters really up for the match. Oldham deserved the points. They played their game plan well in the first half and when Crusaders had a bit of steam up after half time they defended really well. I did wonder if Crusaders had a bit of a cup final hangover and from the reaction of the Oldham players at the end they clearly saw the game as their own cup final. Hopefully they will have the same hangover when they come to Skolars next week.

I really liked the clubhouse and there was a good atmosphere in the ground. I have to admit I was concerned about the state of the pitch even before the match had kicked off and the skies opened. Stuart Reardon's injury happened right in front of me and it is always a worry to see a player go down in such pain without a finger being laid on him.

Still it was another great advert for the game at CC1 and makes for an exciting run in to the end of the season. Still not sure I would describe Oldham as a RL outpost though

#37 john in oz

john in oz
  • Players
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:58 AM

over the moon with our win today at south wales scorpions....been really tough last 4 seasons being bottom every season, though we've improved alot this season and its great to get another win finally really happy onwards and upwards....COME ON THUNDER! COME ON THUNDER!!

Well done Thunder..............if there is a good spirit at the club and passionate support, who knows what can happen !

#38 john in oz

john in oz
  • Players
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:10 AM

1200 looked to be about right to me.

Enjoyed the game. Two good sets of supporters really up for the match. Oldham deserved the points. They played their game plan well in the first half and when Crusaders had a bit of steam up after half time they defended really well. I did wonder if Crusaders had a bit of a cup final hangover and from the reaction of the Oldham players at the end they clearly saw the game as their own cup final. Hopefully they will have the same hangover when they come to Skolars next week.

I really liked the clubhouse and there was a good atmosphere in the ground. I have to admit I was concerned about the state of the pitch even before the match had kicked off and the skies opened. Stuart Reardon's injury happened right in front of me and it is always a worry to see a player go down in such pain without a finger being laid on him.

Still it was another great advert for the game at CC1 and makes for an exciting run in to the end of the season. Still not sure I would describe Oldham as a RL outpost though

Not sure how people can estimate with any accuracy what the crowd is at a match, particularly at a venue such as Whitebank.

Probably need that Dustin Hoffman character from "Rainman" to have a quick look and say exactly what the number is.

As someone else has alluded to, it is not usually the case that a taxpayer overstates his, her or its income !

Agree that Oldham is not really an RL "outpost".............it's just seemed like that in recent years, out of the limelight.

Keighley always says nice things about Oldham and is obviously well aware of the club's illustrious history, and I think that is what has prompted  the "outpost" comment.

#39 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,104 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:14 AM

RL fans really are the best counters in the world.

#40 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 612 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:24 AM

Well done Oldham.  We were beaten fair and square by the better team on the day.  Thanks to all at Oldham RLFC for making us welcome at Whitebank.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users