TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

28/07/13 - CCSF - Hull FC v Warrington Wolves - KO 6pm (BBC2)

• Please log in to reply
268 replies to this topic

Poll: Which of these semi finalists will make it to Wembley? (24 member(s) have cast votes)

Which of these semi finalists will make it to Wembley?

1. Hull FC by 13 points or more. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Hull FC by 7-12 points. (2 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

3. Hull FC by 1-6 points. (2 votes [8.33%])

4. Warrington Wolves by 1-6 points. (2 votes [8.33%])

5. Warrington Wolves by 7-12 points. (10 votes [41.67%])

Percentage of vote: 41.67%

6. Warrington Wolves by 13 points or more. (8 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:34 AM

Discuss the Tetley's Challenge Cup semi final between Hull FC and Warrington Wolves at John Smith's Stadium, Huddersfield on Sunday 28th July here.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 League Express

League Express
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:10 PM

Hodgson hoping for hometown glory

Warrington Wolves full-back Brett Hodgson is hoping home-town advantage will be in his favour when Warrington take on Hull FC in the Tetley’s Challenge Cup semi-final at the John Smith's Stadium, Huddersfield on Sunday July 28 (6.00pm).
The former Huddersfield Giants star lives in the West Yorkshire town and is hoping for a triumphant return to his former stomping ground in what he describes as one of the biggest games of the season so far which could see the Wolves return to Wembley for a fourth time in five years.
“I’m really looking forward to the game,” said Hodgson. “The Challenge Cup is a big part of our year and something we always set our sights on and for me I love playing in the competition and especially these kind of games.
“The club has a great record in the competition recently but these games never get old, the excitement is always there when you get to this stage.
“It’s a huge game for both clubs and we’ll be treating it like a final.
“It’s also a bit like a home game for me because I still live over that way and I have some great memories from playing in Huddersfield and hopefully I’ll add another one this weekend.”
Hodgson was instrumental in guiding the Wolves to a 35-18 victory over Leeds Rhinos in the 2012 Challenge Cup final, earning the Lance Todd Trophy in the process, but he says any thoughts of a return to Wembley have to be put aside as they prepare to take on a dangerous Hull FC side and he hopes fans of both clubs show up in their numbers.
“It would be great to get back to Wembley again but we can’t take our focus off the game against Hull,” he said. “I know it’s going to be a really tough game and they have some great players and match winners across the park.
“We have to be on our game and hopefully the fans will show up in their numbers as they can be huge in these kind of games. They really can make the difference when it comes down to the wire.
“Both clubs have got great supporters and I always enjoy playing in front of the Hull FC fans as well because they’re very passionate and they create a great atmosphere. Our fans are fantastic as well and hopefully they’ll be the ones signing at the end of the game.
“If we prepare well and lift our intensity in training, which we have been doing, then the result will hopefully follow.”

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#3 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:12 PM

Warrington to win this by 16 and go on to win the CC and probably SL.I have a hunch about wire this year.Sorry wire fans Ive put te kybosh on it foryou ;)

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#4 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

Can't see any other than a wire and Wigan final with wire winning the cup. Hope I'm wrong as I would like a Yorkshire team in the final. But I had a few quid on wire at the start of the comp so I won't be too upset lol.

#5 Wilderspoolmemories

Wilderspoolmemories
  • Coach
  • 751 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:08 PM

A tough one but hopefully our more recent big game experience will see us home.
2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16
2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6
2011 League Leaders Shield Winners
2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

#6 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:21 PM

Hull did a number on us last time. It'll be a lot closer than people think.

#7 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:19 PM

Sadly, I don't think it will be. Ben Crooks is out for the season, Richard Horne and Daniel Holdsworth are doubtful and, even if they play, are lacking in match fitness, Horne especially. Also, I can't help feeling Jacob Miller's confidence won't have been helped by his display against the Bulls last Friday.

It will take a supreme effort against Wire, one which I suppose in a one off Hull could just about manage, but that's rather unlikely and recent form tells me there's only one winner.

I think the difference will be in Wire's ability to get a roll on and score back to back tries with their terrific support play. If Hull can defend like they did in the South of France then they may keep it close but my fears are, breaks down the middle, eagerly supported by Myler et al, will prove to be Hull's undoing. I just don't think they have the ability to stop the freeflowing Wire attack.

I'll be there, treating it as our cup final, and it'd be nice to meet up with one or two Warrington fans off here, so let's hope for as close a game as possible and that everybody enjoys their day out.

Hull 14 Warrington 34  :(

Lee Radford rang me the other week....I knew Hull FC were a bit desperate but I had no idea it had got that bad.

#8 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,865 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:24 AM

Well Myler won't be finishing off any breaks as he, like Atkins, is still out injured.

This one will be won in the forwards, and we know that Hull have a decent pack when they're up for it. And they will be this weekend.

Like Wigan, Warrington have too much for most teams if they get decent possession and momentum in the first 20-25 minutes. If Hull can weather the early storm (or create one of their own) then they have a real chance.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#9 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:37 AM

Apologies, didn't realise Myler was injured, thought Wire had rested him, what with them being the new Saints. ;)

Lee Radford rang me the other week....I knew Hull FC were a bit desperate but I had no idea it had got that bad.

#10 dcc

dcc
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:23 AM

I've gone for Warrington by 10 (http://www.rlbet.co....-july-28th-2013) Really looking for ward to this game.

Hull certainly have a chance but they will need to up their performance and play at 100%, Warrington could probably get by playing at 90%

#11 madwire

madwire
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:43 AM

Nip and tuck first half.and wire to ease in to the final second half.32 14.

#12 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:47 AM

That all depends on which side of the bed FC get out of or even if they get out.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#13 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,079 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:49 AM

The game will be a co test until about the 70 minute mark. Then Hull will do something dumb and blow the match. Seems to be our way this season.
Posted Image

#14 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,614 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:43 PM

Sadly, I don't think it will be. Ben Crooks is out for the season, Richard Horne and Daniel Holdsworth are doubtful and, even if they play, are lacking in match fitness, Horne especially. Also, I can't help feeling Jacob Miller's confidence won't have been helped by his display against the Bulls last Friday.

It will take a supreme effort against Wire, one which I suppose in a one off Hull could just about manage, but that's rather unlikely and recent form tells me there's only one winner.

I think the difference will be in Wire's ability to get a roll on and score back to back tries with their terrific support play. If Hull can defend like they did in the South of France then they may keep it close but my fears are, breaks down the middle, eagerly supported by Myler et al, will prove to be Hull's undoing. I just don't think they have the ability to stop the freeflowing Wire attack.

I'll be there, treating it as our cup final, and it'd be nice to meet up with one or two Warrington fans off here, so let's hope for as close a game as possible and that everybody enjoys their day out.

Hull 14 Warrington 34  :(

Can't really fault your assessment of the situation, mate, but I'm a little more optimistic (or possibly deluded). I've got a feeling that desire and sheer desperation will keep us in the contest. I'll definitely be taking the 12 point handicap on offer.

Agree with you about just enjoying the day. We've played in precious few big games over the last few years. It will be good to be part of the occasion and I imagine there will be a terrific atmosphere with both clubs bringing a good contingent of fans.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#15 League Express

League Express
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:33 PM

Cooke says belief is key for FC

Former Hull FC stand-off Paul Cooke says self-belief could make the difference when his old club play Warrington Wolves in a Tetley’s Challenge Cup semi-final at Huddersfield on Sunday July 28 (6.00pm).
Cooke was a stand-out performer in Hull’s dramatic 25-24 Challenge Cup final triumph against Leeds Rhinos in 2005, the last time the Airlie Birds lifted the famous trophy, and he believes the current crop of FC stars has a chance to write their names into the history books against the Cup holders.
“Warrington are the favourites to win the semi-final but in these type of games players can often come up with special efforts,” said Cooke.
“When you know that you’re only 80 minutes away from a place in the final it can inspire you and you can come up with that bit of magic that’s required.
“The players will be nervous, they’ll doubt themselves and go through scenarios in their heads but when the whistle blows if they have a strong belief in themselves and in the players around them then they can get the result.
“There are a lot of similarities between the current squad and the group in 2005. We weren’t in great league form then and we were written off as well but we knew we could win and that we were capable of putting it all together on the day and that’s what happened.
“Every single player now has the chance to write themselves into the history books and put in the kind of performance that means they’ll be the man that people will talk about in years to come.”
Hull go into the game on the back of a five-game losing streak in Super League but Cooke, who currently plies his trade for with Doncaster in the Championship, does not think that will count for anything on Sunday.
“The underdog can and often does win in Cup competitions,” he said. “We’ve seen it in all sports and it’s what makes these kind of games so special.
“I think the game will be a welcome distraction for the Hull lads. They haven’t been travelling well in the league and they’ll be disappointed with where they are, but Cup games tend to throw up surprises and it’s not as clear cut as anyone thinks.
“The league is constant and requires week in week out consistency and to win you need to be at the very top all through the play-offs for three or four weeks. But the Cup is a one-off, every team is capable of putting together a Cup-winning performance on their day, they just have to believe in themselves.
“Hull were the last team to beat Warrington in the league and that will give them a confidence boost as they know they can and how to get the win and if they put it all together on the day then I think they can pull it off.”

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#16 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:18 PM

Wire have the best pack in the league by a long way.

Hull will have to do something very special, or Wire be very flat for it to be anything other than a wire win

#17 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:09 PM

I have to work but will be home in time for kick off, but I do have the final weekend off which I am taking as a good omen.

#18 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,346 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:25 PM

Wire have the best pack in the league by a long way.
Hull will have to do something very special, or Wire be very flat for it to be anything other than a wire win

Actually, I would have thought FC stand a decent chance of holding Wire's forwards, and will get rolled over in the backs. Perhaps you men that Wire's pack is better than yours by a long way?

#19 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:52 PM

Nope, it's better than everyone's by a long way

#20 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:22 AM

mmm - I'm optomistic as ever !!!

If Wire show any complacency Hull could make them pay.

I expect Ogre to show the Wire pack a thing or two as he's been stand out this season and has run a few packs ragged.

Wire need to be controlled and a tight defence from Hull would invariabley frustrate them and lead to errors.

On the other hand if Hull play anything like the recent lack lustre efforts then Wire will romp home.

I hope it turns out to be a great semi and both teams give their respective fans (and neutrals) something to cheer about.

I have a sneaking feeling it could be a very good contest split by 2 or 3 points.

:drinks:

Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users