Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

20,000 + For Lancashire v Yorkshire?

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#1 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:50 AM

Following the sell out at Headingley and the likelihood of 20,000 + turning up for the return match at Old Trafford this evening do people think Rugby League could learn anything from cricket?

Take the hint that the Lancashire v Yorkshire rivalry works as a concept and appeals to the general sporting public?

#2 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:58 AM

Following the sell out at Headingley and the likelihood of 20,000 + turning up for the return match at Old Trafford this evening do people think Rugby League could learn anything from cricket?

Take the hint that the Lancashire v Yorkshire rivalry works as a concept and appeals to the general sporting public?

It obviously doesn't in Rugby League.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#3 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:04 PM

What about people from Surrey?  What will they be watching while this parochial nonsense goes on in the North?

That's me.  I'm done.

#4 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

What about people from Surrey?  What will they be watching while this parochial nonsense goes on in the North?

Well you could say the same about Origin in Australia, essentially that is parochial too but its appeal as a contest spreads far beyond NSW and Queensland.

I don't get why in Rugby League we have to look at things as being strict 'either/or' choices, such as should we have a county game or an Exiles/international game, when there's no insurmountable reason that we couldn't enjoy both. Same with the old GB or England debate. It doesn't have to be one or the other. Certain other sports manage to accomodate both with great success. Rugby League could too, if it wanted.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#5 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:03 PM

I think its a great idea. At most games where a team from Lancashire plays a Yorkshire team you here either Yorkshire Yorkshire or Lancashire Lancashire. This IMO would get the crowds flocking in. It would also be more popular I think than the England against the exiles game.

#6 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

I think its a great idea. At most games where a team from Lancashire plays a Yorkshire team you here either Yorkshire Yorkshire or Lancashire Lancashire. This IMO would get the crowds flocking in. It would also be more popular I think than the England against the exiles game.

The problem is,when it comes to rep. games,club loyalties come to the fore in supporters.The roses games have been tried and failed,I'd love to see them back but can't see it happening.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 24 July 2013 - 01:08 PM.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#7 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

Agreed. I am from Kent. I am going out of my way to watch the Roses cricket match tonight on TV and if there was a Rugby League equivalent I would do the same. Lancashire v Yorkshire means something and has context. It also the only feasible way of getting the best 26 English players to play against each other in a representative match.

20,000 people will be packed into the newly redeveloped Old Trafford baying for Yorkshire blood tonight. It is going to be a great event, both for crowd and the TV audience. The game at Headingley certainly was. Rugby League should take note.

John Drake is right. British Rugby League should be able to accommodate lots of different representative competitions like the NRL does. Yorkshire v Lancashire, England v The Exiles and GB v Australia.

The big problem is the small mindedness and the petty self interest of the clubs and in some cases the supporters too. The lets all boo Sam Tomkins brigade really do need to look at themselves.

#8 colin84hunter

colin84hunter
  • Players
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:06 PM

It needs to be played on its own weekend, or two weekends one in Yorks one in Lancs. No Super league fixtures taht week

Keep the Exiles game, 1 specific weekend for this too

Play them Saturday or sunday at a decent time for people to atend and get them in teh diary as early as possible

And the England/GB thing, we can do both, just have a touring GB team that will play a few nations (PNG, Fiji, Tonga, NZ, then a 3 game series with Aus), every 4 years, the Autumn after the World Cup

But all teh Clubs have to be behind. Internationals and Reps need made more important by the RFL and RLIF

Edited by colin84hunter, 24 July 2013 - 02:07 PM.

#9 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:06 PM

Well you could say the same about Origin in Australia, essentially that is parochial too but its appeal as a contest spreads far beyond NSW and Queensland.

I don't get why in Rugby League we have to look at things as being strict 'either/or' choices, such as should we have a county game or an Exiles/international game, when there's no insurmountable reason that we couldn't enjoy both. Same with the old GB or England debate. It doesn't have to be one or the other. Certain other sports manage to accomodate both with great success. Rugby League could too, if it wanted.

They should stop Origin immediately.  It alienates RL fans in London.

That's me.  I'm done.

#10 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:08 PM

20,000 people will be packed into the newly redeveloped Old Trafford baying for Yorkshire blood tonight. It is going to be a great event, both for crowd and the TV audience. The game at Headingley certainly was. Rugby League should take note.

They'll be lucky to get 500 there.  People from Lancashire don't really care about Lancashire anymore. 

That's what we keep getting told.

That's me.  I'm done.

#11 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:09 PM

Here's a (serious) thought.

Why not double up and play a Twenty20 game followed by an RL Roses game on the same evening.

At Headingley, the crowd could just swap over to the other half of the ground.

At Old Trafford, if you played it as the last game of the cricket season, you could just remove the wickets and slap up some rugby posts and play on the cricket pitch as they do in Australia.

Edited by Steve May, 24 July 2013 - 02:10 PM.

That's me.  I'm done.

#12 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:12 PM

The Boat race, watched by millions.

#13 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

RL has had many regular club games with 20K+ crowds. I don't recall that much coverage because of it.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#14 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,696 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:22 PM

Lancs V Yorks should/could be a great fixture.  Adopting the oft-misquoted line* from  Field of Dreams, "Build it and they will come." No they won't.  They never did in the past and they never will in the future.

* Actual words, "If you build it, he will come."

#15 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

They'll be lucky to get 500 there.  People from Lancashire don't really care about Lancashire anymore. 

Yes, people from Greater Manchester and Merseyside are so ignorant and lacking in affinity with Lancashire and being Lancastrians that they would never turn up in to watch a professional sports team representing Lancashire.

Where is it that the Lancashire cricket team play their home matches against? Could it be Manchester and Liverpool by any chance?

#16 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,880 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:26 PM

Lancs V Yorks should/could be a great fixture. Adopting the oft-misquoted line* from Field of Dreams, "Build it and they will come." No they won't. They never did in the past and they never will in the future.

* Actual words, "If you build it, he will come."

It's both he will come and they will come in the film.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#17 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,709 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:31 PM

It's about time RL stopped trying to imitate other sporting concepts and develop their own. I'd much prefer to see: France vs England on Bastille Day for example.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#18 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:35 PM

They'll be lucky to get 500 there. People from Lancashire don't really care about Lancashire anymore.

In cricket this is effectively a club fixture like Leeds v Wigan, not a quasi representative fixture as proposed in rl. It has history and the same resonance as a derby fixture in rl. There is nothing to extrapolate from our point of view. County of origin/ roses/ whatever is a dead duck. Exiles is heading the same way so we might actually get on with playing some proper internationals against other nations.
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#19 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:38 PM

It's about time RL stopped trying to imitate other sporting concepts and develop their own. I'd much prefer to see: France vs England on Bastille Day for example.

Absolutely right, been banging this drum a while. Put world cup profits towards representative calendar including Canada Jamaica png etc
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#20 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

It's just said on 5Live "following the 15k that turned up at Headingley for the first fixture (that is no where near a sell out) not quite that many here at Old Trafford tonight".

This is with a brand new stand opening. Seems that there aren't as many people bothered about Yorks-Lancs as people claim. HTH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users