Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

20,000 + For Lancashire v Yorkshire?

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#21 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:57 PM

The Boat race, watched by millions.

Do you actually know anyone who admits to watching it? I mean seriously watching it as opposed to channel hopping and it's already on? This is the most inane sporting competition (in the national consciousness) that the ex uni graduates at the BBC can foist upon the rest of the country. I bet the viewing figures in Glasgow go through the roof when the boat race comes on. It's a tin pot contest between two universities that somehow gets national live coverage on a FTA channel and thus attracts big sponsorship.

rldfsignature.jpg

#22 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:03 PM

It's about time RL stopped trying to imitate other sporting concepts and develop their own. I'd much prefer to see: France vs England on Bastille Day for example.

Just to be clear, are you glad we no longer have Ashes series then?

Rugby League's first Roses match was in 1895, it is an idea as old has the game.

Goodness knows why anyone thinks Bastille Day will resonate with the British public. The reason the ANZAC test works is because it means something in both countries. A better Bastille Day tradition would be Catalans vs Toulouse.

#23 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:06 PM

Perhaps it (a Bastille day match) might encourage us to launch our own revolution ...

Or we could invite prince George...
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#24 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:09 PM

Perhaps it (a Bastille day match) might encourage us to launch our own revolution ...

Or we could invite prince George...

I think I'd prefer the revolution.

rldfsignature.jpg

#25 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:13 PM

two matches - one on bastille day and one on st georges?

#26 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:14 PM

Or a d-day match?

#27 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:14 PM

It's just said on 5Live "following the 15k that turned up at Headingley for the first fixture (that is no where near a sell out) not quite that many here at Old Trafford tonight".

Just to be clear, if a match for which every ticket available was sold does not make a sell out, then what does? If 86% of the stadium's maximum capacity (assuming that BBC figure is accurate even though it was reported as a sell out by both clubs and the rest of the media) is not "near a sell out" then how close does it have to be?

If Sky scheduled a rugby league match for 5:40pm on a weeknight would it sell out, or would everyone be up in arms about how they cannot get there from work in time?

To be clear, we will never get 20,000 to a Roses match, we struggle to get that many to watch test matches against New Zealand. You do not need to make up facts to prove that.

#28 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:18 PM

Rugby League's first Roses match was in 1895.

Ashes tours are an anathema to player welfare, they stem from an era when travel to Aus took weeks and tours had to be made to pay. Ashes tests fell out of fashion because we were hopelessly uncompetitive, GB may not exist after 2015 anyway. The first roses match took place when teams west of the Pennines rarely played those from the dark side. Now we know what they are like without an additional fixture.
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#29 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:19 PM

Rugby League's first Roses match was in 1895.

Ashes tours are an anathema to player welfare, they stem from an era when travel to Aus took weeks and tours had to be made to pay. Ashes tests fell out of fashion because we were hopelessly uncompetitive, GB may not exist after 2015 anyway. The first roses match took place when teams west of the Pennines rarely played those from the dark side. Now we know what they are like without an additional fixture.

#30 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:27 PM

Just to be clear, if a match for which every ticket available was sold does not make a sell out, then what does? If 86% of the stadium's maximum capacity (assuming that BBC figure is accurate even though it was reported as a sell out by both clubs and the rest of the media) is not "near a sell out" then how close does it have to be?

If Sky scheduled a rugby league match for 5:40pm on a weeknight would it sell out, or would everyone be up in arms about how they cannot get there from work in time?

To be clear, we will never get 20,000 to a Roses match, we struggle to get that many to watch test matches against New Zealand. You do not need to make up facts to prove that.

What facts I am making up? I am just sat here at my desk at work with Radio 5 on and typed in what the sports reporter said verbatim. The OP was taking about 20k+ for a Roses match - It is about 12k.

Also, a Wednesday night Roses RL match at Headingley pulled in over 10k in 2002. I fail to see what the problem or the point is?

roses2.png

roses3.png

Edited by Scubby, 24 July 2013 - 06:30 PM.

#31 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:28 PM

So is this cricket match only being played over eighty minutes then? If it is then I don't know why they don't start a bit later.

rldfsignature.jpg

#32 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 650 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

In cricket this is effectively a club fixture like Leeds v Wigan, not a quasi representative fixture as proposed in rl. It has history and the same resonance as a derby fixture in rl. There is nothing to extrapolate from our point of view. County of origin/ roses/ whatever is a dead duck. Exiles is heading the same way so we might actually get on with playing some proper internationals against other nations.

This! Lancs v Yorks in cricket is the equivalent of Wigan v Saints (or similar)

On the boat race point, I went to Cambridge and can barely muster myself to watch it most years.

#33 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:53 PM

So is this cricket match only being played over eighty minutes then? If it is then I don't know why they don't start a bit later.

Just to be clear, weekday FLt20 matches on Sky start anywhere between 5:40 and 7:10.

But why they want to start some of them, including the Headingley sell out, as early as that so they will be done by quarter to 9 you will have to ask them. Makes no sense to me as it is just as bad for home viewers as those attending.

What facts I am making up?

If the reporter said "that is no where near a sell out" and not you then I apologise. But it seems a very strange aside for a reporter to have added.

#34 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,918 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:10 PM

The only way to make a roses game competitive and intense and then attract, eventually, a good attendance is to have a huge sponsorship which is paid to the winning team's players and a cut to the winning teams clubs on a percentage per player from the club iinvolved in the game. Put a lot of cash on the line and the players will up the anti, put money in club coffers and they will release players.

In other words, it isn't going to happen. Forget it.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#35 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:30 PM

The only way to make a roses game competitive and intense and then attract, eventually, a good attendance is to have a huge sponsorship which is paid to the winning team's players and a cut to the winning teams clubs on a percentage per player from the club iinvolved in the game. Put a lot of cash on the line and the players will up the anti, put money in club coffers and they will release players.

In other words, it isn't going to happen. Forget it.

You never know. Cadbury might be interested in sponsoring a "Roses" match.

Lion Bar sponsored GB back in the day!

#36 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:48 PM

We could get Norman Vaughn to kick off.

rldfsignature.jpg

#37 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,918 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:02 PM

You never know. Cadbury might be interested in sponsoring a "Roses" match.

Ideally for them it would be played in the run up to Christmas when they are heading to maximise sales, not really ideal for the sports calendar, but I like your thinking.

Edited by Padge, 24 July 2013 - 08:02 PM.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#38 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,471 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:05 PM

Great Britain and Ireland - which seems to be what some people want - doesn't exist now!

And any GB(&I) side is hardly likely to be any more competitive than England for the foreseeable future - unless Ireland, Scotland and Wales are allowed to include their Aussie world cup 'ringers'. ;)

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#39 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,926 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:08 PM

I like Yorks vs Lancs but the thing is that it would be a de facto England selection match.

Cumbria, London and the rest of England would be unrepresented. I can't see the point in asking Lahndoners to play for either Lancs or Yorks especially if they have been at Broncos their entire career.

#40 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:28 PM

Lancs V Yorks should/could be a great fixture.  Adopting the oft-misquoted line* from  Field of Dreams, "Build it and they will come." No they won't.  They never did in the past and they never will in the future.

* Actual words, "If you build it, he will come."

That's because we dabbled with it and never took it seriously or made playing in it essential to international selection.

Do it, do it right, do it big and create it as an event worth winning.
Ramp up the history, get team mates to talk passionately about their County and winning or more appropriately the other County and how you'd love to batter them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users