Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

20,000 + For Lancashire v Yorkshire?

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#41 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:58 PM

Well you could say the same about Origin in Australia, essentially that is parochial too but its appeal as a contest spreads far beyond NSW and Queensland.

I don't get why in Rugby League we have to look at things as being strict 'either/or' choices, such as should we have a county game or an Exiles/international game, when there's no insurmountable reason that we couldn't enjoy both. Same with the old GB or England debate. It doesn't have to be one or the other. Certain other sports manage to accomodate both with great success. Rugby League could too, if it wanted.

You're talking far too much sense, John. It won't go down well at all.

#42 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,018 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:12 PM

Agreed. I am from Kent. I am going out of my way to watch the Roses cricket match tonight on TV and if there was a Rugby League equivalent I would do the same. Lancashire v Yorkshire means something and has context. It also the only feasible way of getting the best 26 English players to play against each other in a representative match.

20,000 people will be packed into the newly redeveloped Old Trafford baying for Yorkshire blood tonight. It is going to be a great event, both for crowd and the TV audience. The game at Headingley certainly was. Rugby League should take note.

John Drake is right. British Rugby League should be able to accommodate lots of different representative competitions like the NRL does. Yorkshire v Lancashire, England v The Exiles and GB v Australia.

The big problem is the small mindedness and the petty self interest of the clubs and in some cases the supporters too. The lets all boo Sam Tomkins brigade really do need to look at themselves.

Roses matches generally attract attention. Look at the encounter at Towton in 1461.  26000 killed!

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#43 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,973 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:09 AM

Shame they cancelled the cricket at the last minute.  I was looking forward to it.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#44 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:59 AM

There needs to be done kind of goal to winning it though. Otherwise it's just a one off friendly and the fans just won't buy into it.
Posted Image

#45 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:09 AM

Shame they cancelled the cricket at the last minute.  I was looking forward to it.

B)

#46 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,519 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:16 AM

How on earth are the two comparable?
Yorks lancs cricket is a club game in this instance in a modified formif the game
What sort of attendances do they get when these two clubs play each other in the county championship?

How on earth can yorks v lancs rugby league be compared to state of origin? Queensland and New South Wales are de facto countries that are part of a federation/ commonwealth on top of which rugby league is a major sport in both of them

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 25 July 2013 - 11:17 AM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#47 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:36 AM

I can't see the point in asking Lahndoners to play for either Lancs or Yorks especially if they have been at Broncos their entire career.

My solution to that would be to not allow them to play for Lancashire or Yorkshire.  Simple.

That's me.  I'm done.

#48 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:38 AM

Or a d-day match?

No.  That would alienate the Germans.  And who would all the people from neutral countries support?

Think it through man.   A D-Day match between England and France would be a parochial nonsense.

That's me.  I'm done.

#49 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:35 PM

No. That would alienate the Germans. And who would all the people from neutral countries support?

Think it through man. A D-Day match between England and France would be a parochial nonsense.

What about the Celts? Will somebody please think of the Celts!?
Posted Image

#50 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:14 PM

How on earth are the two comparable?
Yorks lancs cricket is a club game in this instance in a modified formif the game
What sort of attendances do they get when these two clubs play each other in the county championship?
How on earth can yorks v lancs rugby league be compared to state of origin? Queensland and New South Wales are de facto countries that are part of a federation/ commonwealth on top of which rugby league is a major sport in both of them

Not sure what the County Championship has to do with it. The games are held during weekdays so not many people can go and watch.

2020 is the main spectator friendly version of the sport and is marketed as such.

Anyway 12,000 people turned up in the end to watch Yorkshire get hammered. Not pretty.

If British Rugby League wants proper representative fixtures then Yorkshire v Lancashire is the obvious vehicle to use. The other European national teams are too weak for meaningful internationals and whilst the Exiles concept has merit and should be retained as a one off fixture it should really be used as a warm up for Test against New Zealand and Australia.

If Super League was shut down for three Saturdays and performances in County matches was the main criteria for international selection then it would work.

As always the clubs will try to kill though. Self interest and villagism always seems to triumph.

#51 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,973 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:27 PM

My solution to that would be to not allow them to play for Lancashire or Yorkshire.  Simple.

I agree with the basic principle.  I don't want people from outside Yorkshire playing for Yorkshire.  Who plays for Lancashire bothers me less.

But if this is to be a national trial then the players who are good enough - from Cumbria or London say - will for the sake of fairness require some way of also being put on trial.

The sun has got to me but I am getting to the stage where I'm thinking Yorks v Lancs v Exiles over 3 match days with the latter having players from outside the Roses wouldn't be *such* a bad idea.

- Severus, July 2012

#52 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:31 PM

I agree with the basic principle.  I don't want people from outside Yorkshire playing for Yorkshire.  Who plays for Lancashire bothers me less.

But if this is to be a national trial then the players who are good enough - from Cumbria or London say - will for the sake of fairness require some way of also being put on trial.

The sun has got to me but I am getting to the stage where I'm thinking Yorks v Lancs v Exiles over 3 match days with the latter having players from outside the Roses wouldn't be *such* a bad idea.

Heatstroke!

#53 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,755 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:33 PM

If Super League was shut down for three Saturdays and performances in County matches was the main criteria for international selection then it would work.

How can you justify that comment?

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#54 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:34 PM

As with State of Origin and international sport in general players should be able to qualify for either of the county teams. 3 or 4 years residence maybe and/or the county in which a player first played professional rugby in. 

Obviously that would only apply to those that were born outside the two counties. 

#55 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:42 PM

How can you justify that comment?

So if 3 Saturdays in the middle of the season were dedicated to Roses Matches what would your average punters do? Go to the ground or watch on TV the best 34 English players slug it out or would they boycott it?

I find it hard to believe that if their were no club distractions for either the players or spectators the matches would be met with widespread apathy. 

#56 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,755 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:53 PM

So if 3 Saturdays in the middle of the season were dedicated to Roses Matches what would your average punters do? Go to the ground or watch on TV the best 34 English players slug it out or would they boycott it?

I find it hard to believe that if their were no club distractions for either the players or spectators the matches would be met with widespread apathy. 

When have supporters ever supported concepts like this or the Exiles match in vast numbers before? We even struggle at times to get decent crowds to watch the best 17 Englishmen vs the world's best i..e Australia and New Zealand.

Matching Origin with our own 'version' as a test trial is a pipe dream. If we want to increase the intensity for our players, SL is the vehicle, not another manufactured concept.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#57 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:00 PM

People from Lancashire don't really care about Lancashire anymore.

Yes - I can see why .......
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#58 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:12 PM

When have supporters ever supported concepts like this or the Exiles match in vast numbers before? We even struggle at times to get decent crowds to watch the best 17 Englishmen vs the world's best i..e Australia and New Zealand.

Matching Origin with our own 'version' as a test trial is a pipe dream. If we want to increase the intensity for our players, SL is the vehicle, not another manufactured concept.

The Exiles crowds haven't been that bad the the crowds at the Roses Matches weren't that bad either before they were cancelled. 

If they can get 10,000 plus to the games to begin with then it would be worth while.

What would have to happen would be for the RFL to draw a line in the sand and impose its will. It should say the County Matches are here to stay and the clubs won't be allowed to devalue them with players withdrawals and last minute injuries. 

The club game has failed to raise the profile of the sport since the creation of Super League and I can't see it doing so anytime soon.

#59 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,973 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:31 PM

Heatstroke!

Conferences?

- Severus, July 2012

#60 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:02 PM

Conferences?

You need to get inside and cool yourself down before you start proposing bringing back the Yorks and Lancs/London/Cumbria/Wales/France cups and the Captain Morgan Trophy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users