RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

20,000 + For Lancashire v Yorkshire?

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#61 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,391 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:07 PM

You need to get inside and cool yourself down before you start proposing bringing back the Yorks and Lancs/London/Cumbria/Wales/France cups and the Captain Morgan Trophy.

You know, I would bring back the county cups.  Or at least what I'd do is lose 5-6 matches from the regular season and replace them with a NAB Cup equivalent.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#62 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:17 PM

You know, I would bring back the county cups.  Or at least what I'd do is lose 5-6 matches from the regular season and replace them with a NAB Cup equivalent.

Actually a mid/early-season cup does have merit for discussion but may force sides to pick and choose selections. How about a floodlight trophy played either side of the summer solstice?

#63 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,420 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:00 PM

Actually a mid/early-season cup does have merit for discussion but may force sides to pick and choose selections. How about a floodlight trophy played either side of the summer solstice?

That would be a marketing masterstroke: the floodlight trophy that doesn't need floodlights!

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#64 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:05 PM

That would be a marketing masterstroke: the floodlight trophy that doesn't need floodlights!

No flies on you MH ;)

#65 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:14 PM

How can you justify that comment?

Logic, common sense and a modicum of intelligence

#66 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:51 AM

i wonder why the fan's don't get behind it ?

#67 MustardBoy

MustardBoy
  • Players
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:09 PM

It's about time RL stopped trying to imitate other sporting concepts and develop their own. I'd much prefer to see: France vs England on Bastille Day for example.

Hang on a sec, isn't this just the rejuvenation of a fixture/tie/concept that's already existed?

France v England on Bastille Day? What an odd choice. Lancashire v Yorkshire would be far better (imho).

#68 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,542 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:10 PM

Hang on a sec, isn't this just the rejuvenation of a fixture/tie/concept that's already existed?

France v England on Bastille Day? What an odd choice. Lancashire v Yorkshire would be far better (imho).

Why would Lancashire v Yorkshire on Bastille day be better than France v England?

rldfsignature.jpg

#69 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:26 PM

Hang on a sec, isn't this just the rejuvenation of a fixture/tie/concept that's already existed?

because the outside world is much more interested in internationals than a local spat between 2 counties they don't live in or care about
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#70 MustardBoy

MustardBoy
  • Players
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:26 AM

Why would Lancashire v Yorkshire on Bastille day be better than France v England?

Yeh, I'm sure you didn't understand what I mean?!

I couldn't give a hoot about Bastille Day, and was obviously talking about the fixture (Lancs v Yorks).

#71 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,121 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:02 AM

because the outside world is much more interested in internationals than a local spat between 2 counties they don't live in or care about

The outside world is about as interested as the inside world in a fixture that is incredibly one sides during the season.
Posted Image

#72 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

The world wide interest in State of Origin ridicules that statement!

I know SoO is a huge event now but it was a 1 game non event that no one particularly cared for when it started, the difference is the ARL stuck with it and marketed the hell out of it. They also made it a Test trial and strictly adhered to its principles therefore ensuring that players wanted to be involved. Clubs were told to get in line and stop being an obstacle if they ever moaned about losing players to the SoO or subsequent injuries.

If we make this a genuine contest rather than a gimmick and we follow the lead on this one then there's no reason why we can't build an event similar to SoO out of it.

#73 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,542 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

The world wide interest in State of Origin ridicules that statement!
I know SoO is a huge event now but it was a 1 game non event that no one particularly cared for when it started, the difference is the ARL stuck with it and marketed the hell out of it. They also made it a Test trial and strictly adhered to its principles therefore ensuring that players wanted to be involved. Clubs were told to get in line and stop being an obstacle if they ever moaned about losing players to the SoO or subsequent injuries.
If we make this a genuine contest rather than a gimmick and we follow the lead on this one then there's no reason why we can't build an event similar to SoO out of it.

If we were to pursue a LvY concept then why not pay the players well, make it a proper international trial and share any profits with the SL clubs.

rldfsignature.jpg

#74 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 8,978 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:09 AM

State of Origin is huge amongst rugby league fans.  It is of no interest to the casual sports fan.

To generate interest in Crawley in a game between Queensland and NSW or between Yorks and Lancs is very difficult.  To get an interest in England vs anyone is far simpler.  Also, NSW v Queensland covers most of Australia, whereas Yorks vs Lancs cover only a small part of Britain.

#75 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

State of Origin is huge amongst rugby league fans. It is of no interest to the casual sports fan.

To generate interest in Crawley in a game between Queensland and NSW or between Yorks and Lancs is very difficult. To get an interest in England vs anyone is far simpler. Also, NSW v Queensland covers most of Australia, whereas Yorks vs Lancs cover only a small part of Britain.

Agree with all this plus SoO has diminished the importance of the international game. We tend to trace international rl by the events over here, look at when origin really took off and trace the lower phases the Aussies have put on internationals since then.
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#76 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

The outside world is about as interested as the inside world in a fixture that is incredibly one sides during the season.

Ask journalists how much easier it is to get column inches for internationals of any calibre, you'll find you are wrong.

#77 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:25 PM

State of Origin is huge amongst rugby league fans.  It is of no interest to the casual sports fan.

To generate interest in Crawley in a game between Queensland and NSW or between Yorks and Lancs is very difficult.  To get an interest in England vs anyone is far simpler.  Also, NSW v Queensland covers most of Australia, whereas Yorks vs Lancs cover only a small part of Britain.

http://www.nswrl.com...isplay&id=26067

Says you're wrong

#78 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,489 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:10 PM

So, just catching up on this, this cricket game between two clubs that we should be aiming to emulate got a lower crowd than when the likes of Wigan and Leeds play each other. Have I followed it right?

#79 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 8,978 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:48 PM

No.  It says it is available to view in ninety countries.

We watched State of Origin in Denmark, with a couple of dozen people in a bar.  The interest for the World Cup matches will be far, far bigger.  That is because they will know the significance of an international match.

I find it bizarre that people would argue against such a thing.  Have you been out of rugby league areas?

#80 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:56 PM

No.  It says it is available to view in ninety countries.

We watched State of Origin in Denmark, with a couple of dozen people in a bar.  The interest for the World Cup matches will be far, far bigger.  That is because they will know the significance of an international match.

I find it bizarre that people would argue against such a thing.  Have you been out of rugby league areas?

That is great in theory but unless England are playing New Zealand or Australia there aren't any international teams that are worth playing. Wales and France just aren't strong enough and won't be for the foreseeable future.

Sure a three test series against Australia or New Zealand or a Tri Nations will capture the public imagination but in the absence of that there are a lack of meaningful representative games.

As such Yorkshire v Lancashire is probably the best option available.

Of course there is always the argument that British Rugby League doesn't need a representative game but I would disagree with that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users