Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

20,000 + For Lancashire v Yorkshire?

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#161 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:29 AM

It's not just 'old timers' who think it won't work.  I've not been a fan of the sport for many years but I can't see Lancs -v- Yorks working.  I don't have any animosity even of a sporting kind towards Yorkshire but if a Saints -v- Wigan match was proposed then I'd be up for that!

Besides, where exactly would the boundary for Lancashire be?  These days Wigan, Salford, Leigh and Oldham are in Greater Manchester, St Helens is in Merseyside (even though it doesn't exist except in the minds of Liverpudlians), Warrington and Widnes are in Cheshire and Barrow is in Cumbria.  I suppose Rochdale could provide the players!

Yep the county administration boundaries have all changed but no reason why couldn't use old historical boundaries from say 1895 ish....  or could be more inclusive and call it Lancashire & West v Yorkshire & East or Celts v England or even back to home nations... allowing celts or home country to include a nominated number of "exile" players (say 5 or 6) which over time reduces.

Anyway for me anything that has some locality aspect is better than the exile's fixture which most see just as a training game and find it difficult to have any real passion for.

Personally I'm hoping that the French continue to expand and eventually have a international team to provide competition to England. Maybe a forlorn hope... but again allow them and Wales to have a number of nominated "exiles" and then we may get a competitive x3 "country" competition.

#162 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:46 AM

Yep the county administration boundaries have all changed but no reason why couldn't use old historical boundaries from say 1895 ish....  or could be more inclusive and call it Lancashire & West v Yorkshire & East or Celts v England or even back to home nations... allowing celts or home country to include a nominated number of "exile" players (say 5 or 6) which over time reduces.

Anyway for me anything that has some locality aspect is better than the exile's fixture which most see just as a training game and find it difficult to have any real passion for.

Personally I'm hoping that the French continue to expand and eventually have a international team to provide competition to England. Maybe a forlorn hope... but again allow them and Wales to have a number of nominated "exiles" and then we may get a competitive x3 "country" competition.

The failure of the Exiles concept is in no way a plus for the War of the Roses, if so we are just replacing one failure with another. 

The very real fact is that this concept has failed again and again, regardless of the time and attention given to it. Added to this is the fact that it faces bigger barriers than it did in the past, namely the moving of geographical boundaries. Some will refuse to accept the changing of the traditional barriers but for young people growing up today this is a reality. I can only talk from personal experience and growing up I heard very little about the fact that Widnes was part of Lancashire for hundreds of years. Cheshire is what appears on your address and organisations such as school and scouts were organised along Cheshire lines. That's not to say I felt any passion about being from Cheshire; your county is just an area of reference to most people that I know. The argument that we are 'technically' still in Lancashire is an irrelevance and unknown to most of the population. 

I feel that any attempt to build a Lancs vs Yorks would be hampered by this on the Lancashire side, especially long term. Any attempt to rebrand it as East vs West Pennines or anything similar is just too artificial to work. It's a shame because at one time the concept could have been a goer and could have been a real part of the RL calendar. At one time we had a roughly 50/50 geographical split with regional leagues and regional cups and in theory this could have created a great rivalry, but it didn't. Our chances of building such an event successfully nowadays are infinitely smaller as we don't have these regional identities to the same extent and it would feel artificial, much like it did in 2001. 

As for coming to the board late, well unfortunately that it something you ultimately have to live with and something we all had to live with at one point. 

#163 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:23 PM

The failure of the Exiles concept is in no way a plus for the War of the Roses, if so we are just replacing one failure with another. 

etc, etc

I actually tend to agree with you but somewhere deep down I think locality adds a dimension to sporting competition but you are right it has to be real not imaginary.   Then it has to be based upon home nations and France, again as per suggestion with some advantage given to those not strong enough to give a more level playing field. 

I just think its imperative to have a strong international/representative game to provide the strategic impetus and exposure the game will always need until we achieve it.   I just think until then any amount of structuring and initiatives will only nibble away at the fundamental problems without achieving the strategic goals.