Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Would you go swimming in a lake, river or quarry?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:55 PM

Breaking news says another person is missing in a lake in the Lake District, with another one rescued. With the current heatwave continuing, it seems some people don't heed the warnings. Do you ever chance it to cool off?

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#2 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,456 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:04 PM

I have swam in Windermere may years ago. Boy it was cold. Wouldn't do it now though, turned nesh in my old age.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#3 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 7,959 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:34 PM

Swim in Lonely Water?

Are you mad?

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#4 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:55 PM

It surprises me that when people want to cool off they don't use their shower or bath at home?

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#5 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:59 PM

It seems a body has been recovered in the lake near Keswick. 

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#6 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,327 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:00 PM

Done all three, as well as the North Sea many times and Princes Dock in Hull city centre many years ago on a warm summer's evening.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#7 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:47 PM

on a warm summer's evening.

On a train bound for nowhere

Edited by Bostik Bailey, 24 July 2013 - 06:49 PM.

#8 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,663 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:49 PM

Done all three, as well as the North Sea many times and Princes Dock in Hull city centre many years ago on a warm summer's evening.

I knew there was summat fishy about you.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#9 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:01 PM

We used to dive in the locks on the canal years ago. Never mind drowning, I'm amazed we never hit an old pram or something.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#10 T-Dub

T-Dub
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:30 PM

We used to dive in the locks on the canal years ago. Never mind drowning, I'm amazed we never hit an old pram or something.

If you swim in canals be aware of Weils disease

#11 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:36 PM

Yes, I would and have, although I'd avoid quarries these days. Unsurprisingly, knowing what you are doing helps, as does being a regular swimmer, understanding thermoclines and realising how cold the water can be not far below the surface.

#12 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:13 PM

If you swim in canals be aware of Weils disease

I certainly wouldn't dream of it now and it was only the ignorance of youth that drove it (plus not having the cash for the swimming baths, council estate types you see)

#13 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,948 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:19 PM

If you are a decent swimmer then I can't see the problem. There is no tide in a quarry or lake. Have swam in Ullswater as a kid.

#14 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,701 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:29 PM

Unsurprisingly, knowing what you are doing helps, as does being a regular swimmer, understanding thermoclines and realising how cold the water can be not far below the surface.

There is the crux of the issue for mine; knowing how to take care of yourself is vitally important.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#15 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,327 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:16 PM

I knew there was summat fishy about you.

Speaking of which, our kid wasn't too happy. He was trying to catch some at the time.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#16 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,955 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:33 PM

There are many quarries where I live.  When I was a kid, one in particular had a pool at the bottom which we used to swim in.  We made a raft of old oil drums and pallets.  We called the pond the "blue lagoon" because it was blue. God knows what was in it to turn it blue, but we never came to any harm. 

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#17 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:55 PM

The people who get in to difficulty are usually unused to swimming in cold water, even if they are decent swimmers. The shock of the cold and hyperventilation causes some people to panic with predictable results.

There are currents in lakes, as well as in rivers and canals. The most sensible way to swim in a lake, if you are unused to cold water, is to swim close to the lakeside where it is warmer in the shallower water, rather than out towards the middle. Go a few feet down in a lake even in a long, hot summer and it is very cold. Another tip is to enter the water slowly, so the body can adjust to the cold.

Keep swimming.

#18 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,125 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:25 PM

'Wild' swimming has become more popular recently, with books and even programmes on the BBC about it.  Not sure its quite the same as tomb stoning into a res mind you!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#19 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:00 PM

Swim in Lonely Water?
Are you mad?

Cor, look, there's somefink in the water.

#20 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 803 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:58 PM

There are many quarries where I live.  When I was a kid, one in particular had a pool at the bottom which we used to swim in.  We made a raft of old oil drums and pallets.  We called the pond the "blue lagoon" because it was blue. God knows what was in it to turn it blue, but we never came to any harm. 

Not this one I hope:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...mshire-22843481

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users