- - - - -

Briers signs up for another year

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:30 PM

Warrington Wolves have announced that half-back Lee Briers has agreed a one-year contract extension with the club for 2014. Briers joined Warrington back in 1997 from neighbours St Helens making his debut in April of that year.

Click here to view the article
League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#2 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,782 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

But, but, but...he's off to Hull KR.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#3 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:59 PM

Has he signed on for the Welsh WC squad yet?

rldfsignature.jpg

#4 crusadin_photoman

crusadin_photoman
  • Coach
  • 266 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:43 PM

Has he signed on for the Welsh WC squad yet?

We can but hope that Iestyn can convince him for a last hurrah!

#5 madwire

madwire
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:14 AM

As far as im aware he will be lestyns assistant at the world cup

#6 Swansea Jack

Swansea Jack
  • Coach
  • 240 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:06 AM

We can but hope that Iestyn can convince him for a last hurrah!

That would be great news. Lee Briers is a player that I have a great admiration of.

#7 Wilderspoolmemories

Wilderspoolmemories
  • Coach
  • 751 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:26 AM

At least one more season from the master of craftiness! Great news!
2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16
2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6
2011 League Leaders Shield Winners
2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

#8 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:01 PM

It seems a sensible move by Wire. A talented player.

Does anybody know if Briers has done, or is doing, or intends to do his coaching badges?

#9 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:15 PM

Very pleased. Carried the team for years. It will be very odd when he's not on the pitch reffing.

#10 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,677 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

He won't go away, will he. Great news. As someone said on the Wire RLFans board, he's never had any of the attributes associated with youth (great speed, perfect fitness) anyway, but the skills he has always had (his brain, his hands and his boot) are as sharp as ever. Would've been gutted to see him wear any other shirt as was rumoured.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#11 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,002 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:46 PM

Does anybody know if Briers has done, or is doing, or intends to do his coaching badges?

I think he coaches junior teams but not sure what badges would be required for that level. Got a feeling he did them when he was out injured recently.

#12 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:50 PM

He won't go away, will he. Great news. As someone said on the Wire RLFans board, he's never had any of the attributes associated with youth (great speed, perfect fitness) anyway, but the skills he has always had (his brain, his hands and his boot) are as sharp as ever. Would've been gutted to see him wear any other shirt as was rumoured.

Yes a fair point. He'd have a even more years left in him if he'd kept in top shape.

#13 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:10 PM

I've always been a big admirer of Lee. A great creative player.

I do think though, Gareth O'Brien will probably leave now though. He won't want to be constantly loaned out again. Could be a good pick-up for a rival SL outfit
Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:20 PM

Would've been gutted to see him wear any other shirt as was rumoured.

I'm disappointed in you Browny. Don't you know it's would of not would've. Hang your head in shame. ;)

rldfsignature.jpg

#15 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:57 AM

He has recently become U19s assistant coach. He has made numerous references to moving into coaching after his playing career has ended.

PS

He is involved with one of Thatto Heath Crusaders (I think it is them) junior sides.

Edited by getdownmonkeyman, 26 July 2013 - 11:00 AM.

#16 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

OK. It sounds like Briers has a plan. 

I think Brett Hodgson would make a good coach. Anybody know if he is coaching the youngsters, or an amateur team?

#17 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:27 PM

Felt a bit sorry for the Warrington fans today, and worried for them for next year too.  Westwood looked as rough and tough as ever but he's clearly lost some more pace, gone are the days when he finished liked the centre he once was.  I thought Morley and Briers looked pretty tired too.

#18 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,456 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:32 PM

Felt a bit sorry for the Warrington fans today, and worried for them for next year too. Westwood looked as rough and tough as ever but he's clearly lost some more pace, gone are the days when he finished liked the centre he once was. I thought Morley and Briers looked pretty tired too.

those days went years ago. Westwood isnt in there for pace and hasnt been since his move to the pack. This didnt appear to be a problem for the first try.
We've been written off by some for the last couple of years for being too old and slow but we're still there or there abouts.

#19 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,960 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:16 AM

Youth and pace have a place, as does age and experience

A young bull and an old bull spotted some cows in an adjacent field.  The young bull said, " let's run over there and screw a cow each"

The old bull replied, "Let walk over and screw them all"

Having said that, Briers was pretty effectively bottled up by Hull on Sunday

#20 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:17 PM

those days went years ago. Westwood isnt in there for pace and hasnt been since his move to the pack. This didnt appear to be a problem for the first try.
We've been written off by some for the last couple of years for being too old and slow but we're still there or there abouts.

Ok. Stick your head in the sand then.

Oh and Chris Riley, he's almost as bad as Peter Fox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users