Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Briers signs up for another year

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:26 PM

Ok. Stick your head in the sand then.

Oh and Chris Riley, he's almost as bad as Peter Fox.

Not really, there's no need to go into panic mode because we lost to Hull in a semi final - age didn't show when we won a couple of close games against Leeds and Wigan, or when we wiped the floor with Hudds last round. 

Hull did very well, but let's not ignore what actually happened, it was 3 tries apiece, with a Wire one disallowed by the VR and 7 breaks to 3 for Wire. The telling stat was the 19 errors by Wire - this isn't an issue with age.

Westwood has never been known for pace, even when he was a centre, and it was a strange one to highlight when he wasn't outpaced at any stage of the game, and in fact broke through the Hudds defence on 2/3 occasions.

Riley's a good finisher but his defence is woeful, if you read my posts on here I have given him a fair bit of stick for that.

Anyway, well done to Hull, but I'm ok with where we are, 1 point off the top of the table and played our part in a great semi final, no shame in that. 

#22 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

Westwood has never been known for pace, even when he was a centre, and it was a strange one to highlight when he wasn't outpaced at any stage of the game, and in fact broke through the Hudds defence on 2/3 occasions.

Yes he broke the line, and then sought to offload ASAP and without even hinting that he may run the ball. I've followed Ben's career since he was a junior and I think he's struggling at the moment, I just hope he's carrying a knock as he's been a firm favourite of mine for years.

For all the age and experience in the side Warrington had no leader that stood up and made it stick when Hull were vulnerable.

I'm no writing Warrington off because they lost to Hull in a match they should have won, in fact in not writing them off at all. I am saying that if I were a Wire fan I'd be worried that their recent successes will fizzle out unless the shelves are restocked fairly soon.

#23 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:01 PM

Yes he broke the line, and then sought to offload ASAP and without even hinting that he may run the ball. I've followed Ben's career since he was a junior and I think he's struggling at the moment, I just hope he's carrying a knock as he's been a firm favourite of mine for years.

For all the age and experience in the side Warrington had no leader that stood up and made it stick when Hull were vulnerable.

I'm no writing Warrington off because they lost to Hull in a match they should have won, in fact in not writing them off at all. I am saying that if I were a Wire fan I'd be worried that their recent successes will fizzle out unless the shelves are restocked fairly soon.

I suggest you watch the first try again, he got the ball just inside his own 20m line and ran to the halfway line, drew the fullback and passed. Pretty textbook stuff tbh.

The simple fact with Warrington is that we have performances like that in us. When things stick we look like we did against Huddersfield, when they don't quite work off then we look like we did against Leeds and Hull - this is not to take anything away from Hull who's defence particularly in the middle was aggressive and they forced plenty of errors.

I'm loathe to be too critical of us when it doesn't work, as I'd rather see us play like this than grinding wins each week.

Whilst it may look like we had no leader in Briers or Monaghan, the fact is that without the ball Briers can do nothing - with the little ball he did have his kicking was very good and pass selection good too. I still maintain we look poorer without Myler at 7, but you have to deal with that even in the one-off big games.

You can have the best halves in the game, and the best tactics, but if you make 19 errors then you really are on a hiding to nothing! I don't think that's much to do with age if I'm honest.

On the long term, your points are very valid, but then we do have a decent core of players who can be with us for a few years yet. We do need to have a transition plan, and that is obviously looking like starting at the end of this year, as two old props move on in Morley and Carvell - it's a shame we are losing Cooper too, but again, we'll have to deal with that. 

The likes of Ratchford, Riley, Bridge, Atkins, Monaghan, Myler, Harrison, Grix, Hill, Currie all have a few years left yet, and with the emergence of more locally developed players plus a few signings, this can be managed. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users