RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Premier sports have cocked up again!

haven v dews

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 robinson2

robinson2
  • Coach
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:50 PM

If Davy Jeffrey starts on one of his famous monologues you'll be lucky if they start the delayed transmission at 10! Not a Championship fan nor a Premier Sports subscriber but I do feel for the fans affected. This really does take the biscuit.

#22 lionwolf

lionwolf
  • Facebook
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:24 PM

with the move to Thursday nights and the extension of Monday Nights for Sky i would suspect it is with one eye towards the play-offs given the first week has four games and Thursday and Monday in addition to the usual Friday and Saturday would mean the four games being played over four nights with one game being played each night here is a example based on the current SL table if it finished like it is as present

Thursday Catalan Dragons v Hull FC (Unhappy Hull FC fans having to take the day off work or school/college to watch their team in France)

Friday Hull KR v St Helens

Saturday Huddersfield Giants v Leeds Rhinos 

Monday Wigan Warriors v Warrington Wolves

the latter 2 both qualifiers winners have week off Saturday or Monday dependent on stadium priority given the two home clubs share with soccer clubs and soccer with Huddersfield Town and Wigan Athletic would have priority on the stadiums in early September

#23 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:29 PM

prem sports have 2 channels on sky surely they should use them?

Just to be clear, they have two EPG slots, they only have bandwidth for one channel.

It is like how CBBC and BBC Three (or CBeebies and BBC Four) have separate EPG listings, but really share the same bandwidth.

There is no bandwidth for Premier Sports Extra, but because there has to be a minimum amount of content broadcast to remain on the EPG, at certain times they will show programmes on channel 430 but blank out the main Premier Sports slot on channel 428. It is the same channel just switching between numbers you see it on.

The only time I can recall them ever using both at the same time was last year when the replay of the All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship Final clashed with the Championships Grand Final Day. But as the rugby was to air in Ireland on Setanta Sports 1 they simply shared that feed in Great Britain as Setanta Sports Extra.

That is no longer an option as the Setanta Sports 1 feed was closed last month. Irish viewers now receive the same Premier Sports feed as GB, with programmes blacked out in the UK or Ireland as appropriate. So there is no longer any bandwidth to enable them to broadcast on two channels simultaneously. I also believe the Premier Sports Extra EPG slot has been sold anyway and will shortly disappear.

Total speculation, but with shutting down a channel and selling an EPG slot they had been holding onto, maybe they are needing to make cuts to survive? If so it could be a case of miss one match in favour of a more lucrative football one, or lose everything?

#24 Vasile Andreica

Vasile Andreica
  • Facebook
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:38 AM

Get over yourself, man. The Europa League in soccer is way bigger than Championship rugby league. You guys find a way to complain about everything.

#25 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,542 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:19 AM

soccer with Huddersfield Town and Wigan Athletic would have priority on the stadiums in early September

Is that gospel because here in Hull the team that is furthest into their season has priority.

rldfsignature.jpg

#26 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:58 AM

That is no longer an option as the Setanta Sports 1 feed was closed last month. Irish viewers now receive the same Premier Sports feed as GB, with programmes blacked out in the UK or Ireland as appropriate. So there is no longer any bandwidth to enable them to broadcast on two channels simultaneously. I also believe the Premier Sports Extra EPG slot has been sold anyway and will shortly disappear.

Total speculation, but with shutting down a channel and selling an EPG slot they had been holding onto, maybe they are needing to make cuts to survive? If so it could be a case of miss one match in favour of a more lucrative football one, or lose everything?

430 went a couple of months ago. They only use 428 now. EPG slots are quite valuable, so it probably made sense to get rid of a slot they clearly weren't going to use fully.

I guess with it now being aimed at the Irish market as well, Premier feel that it makes more sense commercially to show the football live.

#27 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,155 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:09 AM

Get over yourself, man. The Europa League in soccer is way bigger than Championship rugby league. You guys find a way to complain about everything.

You said it. Welcome to the Wonderful World of the Fans Forum.

#28 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,502 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:18 AM

To be fair, cancelling the live broadcast of a scheduled game is well worthy of complaint irrespective of what they are showing instead.

#29 Marty Funkhouser

Marty Funkhouser
  • Coach
  • 360 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:28 AM

To be fair, cancelling the live broadcast of a scheduled game is well worthy of complaint irrespective of what they are showing instead.

Indeed , it seems some posters are forgetting that Premier is a PAY tv channel...

#30 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,392 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:36 AM

This.

I do think however it shows the ways their minds are working that it's been replaced with an Irish football match.

Given the lack of a second channel, red button or livestreaming option I'd be pretty peed off if I were a subscriber and/or fan of either side.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#31 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,151 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:40 AM

Count me in on the 'got Premier Sports, love it but think this is out of order (my son)' camp.

#32 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:53 AM

Genuine question. .. how many of us have/are strwaming live rugby?

Edited by Robin Evans, 25 July 2013 - 07:53 AM.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#33 Cherry and White

Cherry and White
  • Coach
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:09 AM

as just to be clear stated, setanta sports 1 is the same feed as premier sport in the uk so they will get more viewers for the infield game than the rugby. they cant put it on setanta ireland as that has coverage of the derry city game.

HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977
wigan rl-wembley 1985
redsox-2004
GB RL-?????
Lancashire cricket 2011

#34 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:49 AM

[quote name="shun" post="2752880" timestamp="

how much money do champ clubs receive from premier sports if any one knows?[/quote]

Nothing I believe.

#35 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,616 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:41 AM

Its not just that, there's also the issue of making a semi-pro team travel up to Cumbria mid-week for a game which they aren't going to broadcast live. I'd be pretty miffed if I was a Dewsbury player having to take time off work for it. If they want to show a delayed broadcast then surely they could have picked 2 teams closer together.

Edited by Derwent, 25 July 2013 - 09:42 AM.

• robinson2 likes this
Super Clarty Git Amang It Dip Fer Dippin Owt In

#36 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

Just to be clear, they have two EPG slots, they only have bandwidth for one channel.

It is like how CBBC and BBC Three (or CBeebies and BBC Four) have separate EPG listings, but really share the same bandwidth.

There is no bandwidth for Premier Sports Extra, but because there has to be a minimum amount of content broadcast to remain on the EPG, at certain times they will show programmes on channel 430 but blank out the main Premier Sports slot on channel 428. It is the same channel just switching between numbers you see it on.

The only time I can recall them ever using both at the same time was last year when the replay of the All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship Final clashed with the Championships Grand Final Day. But as the rugby was to air in Ireland on Setanta Sports 1 they simply shared that feed in Great Britain as Setanta Sports Extra.

Didn't understand any of that. What's bandwidth ? Do I need to know ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#37 brooza

brooza
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

Didn't understand any of that. What's bandwidth ? Do I need to know ?

They only have a big enough pipe for one channel, but they can point that pipe at 2 different locations

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos and St Albans Centurions fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, KĂžbenhavn Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade, Dragones de la Sierra and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#38 landy13

landy13
  • Coach
  • 203 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:34 AM

On a slightly different note

Just looking on the premier sports website they have Sheffield v Workington next week showing on the wednesday

have they done that specifically not to clash with the sky thursday match?

www.matchdayphotography.com

#39 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,616 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:52 AM

On a slightly different note

Just looking on the premier sports website they have Sheffield v Workington next week showing on the wednesday

have they done that specifically not to clash with the sky thursday match?

Yes and no.

The Sheffield v Town game had already been re-arranged for that date - it was meant to have been played on the weekend Sheffield played in the cup QF. It was going to be played on wednesday regardless of whether it was televised or not.

Then Sky changed their schedule and moved London v Leeds to Thursday so Premier Sports sensibly decided to ditch the planned Thursday game and show this one instead to avoid clashing with the SL game.
Super Clarty Git Amang It Dip Fer Dippin Owt In

#40 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 482 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:52 PM

Just signed up to Premier Player On Demand -  mainly to watch the Northern Rail Bowl once again now I have sobered up!  I watched it back and have to say the quality of the picture was not brilliant but has seemed to improve. I tried to watch the Northern Rail Cup final and had to report a fault (the game wasn't loading - though they did reply and explain why and it was fixed fairly quickly).  I now find scheduling rearrangements, rather than the live stream I would have preferred. My second reason for signing up was to watch the World Cup matches as they seem to be broadcasting all of them.  I am keeping faith as I like the commentary team and the use of the Video Refs talking through their decisions but I hope replacing RL with soccer isn't a sign of things to come.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users