Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Club website: Lions celebrate Golden Jubilee of 1963 success

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:23 PM

50 years have passed since those magical days back in the swingin' '60s when the Lions did virtually all the mauling - rather being mauled - like in more recent times.

The colour picture of four of the stars of that wonderful era brings it all back to us old enough (and lucky enough) to have been there to witness the regular feast of rugby football displayed by the Station Road marvels. However, in the picture, the foursome, Dave Robinson, John Stopford, Alan Buckley and Ken Gowers are lined up in 1966 to mark their selection for the Great Britain touring squad going 'Down Under' to Australasia during that summer.

:no:  :haha:

#2 Spelly

Spelly
  • Coach
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:39 PM

And for a bonus-point Keith....................................

After which match was the picture taken?

Spelly.

PS - Happy birthday mate!

Edited by Spelly, 25 July 2013 - 07:05 PM.

"--- and then on the eighth day, God created Rugby League."

Daily, my intense dislike of the Pinks, Rugby Yawnion, Manchester United, and far-right politics, grows ever larger, and will continue to do so forever more!

Question! What's the connection between Rugby League and Rugby Yawnion? Answer! There isn't one!

My girl-friend asked "If you had to choose between me and Swinton who would it be?" I replied "You know the answer to that one without even asking!"

#3 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:19 AM

And for a bonus-point Keith....................................

After which match was the picture taken?

Spelly.

PS - Happy birthday mate!

Having checked through my old programmes, I think I've found the answer for you.

Swinton V Featherstone Rovers  - 30th April 1966 - KO 3.00pm - 1st round play-offs at Station Road

The team played in their change strip (the 'home' side changed back then) of all white with blue V and all four chosen tourists were in the team.

And according to my written details, the Lions ran in a total of 11 tries (Gowers 1, Buckley 3, Stopford 3, Rhodes 1, G. Williams 1, D. Robinson 2) on the day.

Edited by Blue Monkey, 26 July 2013 - 05:49 PM.

#4 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 374 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

I did not start watching Swinton till 1968 ( when I  was 11).....................:(

I do hope in that on Sunday Featherstone do not score 11 tries against us .............

#5 Spelly

Spelly
  • Coach
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:07 PM

Having checked through my old programmes, I think I've found the answer for you.

Swinton V Featherstone Rovers  - 30th April 1966 - KO 3.00pm - 1st round play-offs at Station Road

The team played in their change strip (the 'home' side changed back then) of all white with blue V and all four chosen tourists were in the team.

And according to my written details, the Lions ran in a total of 11 tries (Gowers 1, Buckley 3, Stopford 3, Rhodes 1, G. Williams 1, D. Robinson 2) on the day.

Yeah, well done Keith. Lions 43-2 Fev. Let's hope it's an omen for Sunday eh?

Spelly.

"--- and then on the eighth day, God created Rugby League."

Daily, my intense dislike of the Pinks, Rugby Yawnion, Manchester United, and far-right politics, grows ever larger, and will continue to do so forever more!

Question! What's the connection between Rugby League and Rugby Yawnion? Answer! There isn't one!

My girl-friend asked "If you had to choose between me and Swinton who would it be?" I replied "You know the answer to that one without even asking!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users