Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rugby League rules - some proposals from a new fan

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 Vasile Andreica

Vasile Andreica
  • Facebook
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:38 AM

Also worth noting that if you have a good kicker, then a 40-20 gets you off the rack and into a great attacking position at any point in the tackle count.    And to reference the OP, a 40-20 wouldn't be nearly as effective if just earned you a PTB upfield rather than a scrum.

What would you prefer after a 40-20? A scrum which looks more like a glorified PTB anyway, or a proper PTB with an extra tackle?

Most of you seem to miss the point. After the PTB it's going to be tackle ZERO - so effectively you got 7 tackles instead of 6.

#22 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:48 AM

What would you prefer after a 40-20? A scrum which looks more like a glorified PTB anyway, or a proper PTB with an extra tackle?

Most of you seem to miss the point. After the PTB it's going to be tackle ZERO - so effectively you got 7 tackles instead of 6.

I'd still say a scrum, because of the opportunity to use the space.  Particularly after a 40-20, when the space you get is way up the field.

That's me.  I'm done.

#23 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:52 AM

I would think yes. If the attackers kick on the final play of the set and regain possesion after the air contest, it's only fair they play their new set, as they earned it.

They wouldn't get possession for a new set unless the opposition had gained possession, which would end the game.  

I think Martyn's suggestion of playing until the ball goes dead is better.  You could have multiple sets in theory, although in practice the team in the lead would kick the ball dead at the earliest opportunity to end the match.

That's me.  I'm done.

#24 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

As Zorquif suggested, id like to see a rule added to the game that states all forwards must pack into the scrum in their positions, no full backs or hookers packing down at loose forward in attacking /defensive scrums.. with subs and potential injuries you'd always end up with maybe one or two in a scrum who normally wouldn't be there but i'm sure there are ways of policing such things. I'd also state that anyone not binding properly at the scrum gets penalised straight away. All we hear these days isrefs telling players time and time again to bind in properly. Just penalise the buggers!

Why?

Why not just let the coaches and players decide how to play the game?   Like I said before, it's not netball.  Players should be free to perform any of the on-field roles as they see fit.

That's me.  I'm done.

#25 Vasile Andreica

Vasile Andreica
  • Facebook
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

They wouldn't get possession for a new set unless the opposition had gained possession, which would end the game.  

I think Martyn's suggestion of playing until the ball goes dead is better.  You could have multiple sets in theory, although in practice the team in the lead would kick the ball dead at the earliest opportunity to end the match.

Imagine a tied game going into 90th minute :D

#26 RLRatings

RLRatings
  • Players
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:56 AM

I agree - the scrum is effectively redundant, and there is little difference in having the forwards clustered nowadays.

Fully agree with the point about finishing a set before the end of the half - I once saw a union match, (a 5-5 draw on kicks), and the only interesting point I found was the play after the 80th minute where the result was in the balance.
www.rugbyleagueratings.com - proving that Featherstone were bound to beat Cas, since 2011.

#27 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,969 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:43 PM

I see games with plenty of people kicking before the last tackle. ...it happens all the time.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#28 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:32 PM

Some of these posts remind of those of a poster who used to be on the forum under a Japanese user name who liked suggesting rule changes....................

#29 bobrock

bobrock
  • Coach
  • 141 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:54 PM

I agree - the scrum is effectively redundant, and there is little difference in having the forwards clustered nowadays.

Fully agree with the point about finishing a set before the end of the half - I once saw a union match, (a 5-5 draw on kicks), and the only interesting point I found was the play after the 80th minute where the result was in the balance.

You must be mistaken. It's impossible to score five points with kicks in rugby union.

#30 Vasile Andreica

Vasile Andreica
  • Facebook
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

You must be mistaken. It's impossible to score five points with kicks in rugby union.

He meant a 15-15 scoreline (5 penalties each, I suppose).

Edited by Vasile Andreica, 25 July 2013 - 03:16 PM.

#31 bobrock

bobrock
  • Coach
  • 141 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

He meant a 15-15 scoreline (5 penalties each, I suppose).

Oh, I see. You must be a smart lad.

#32 Vasile Andreica

Vasile Andreica
  • Facebook
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:00 PM

Hopefully not a smartass, like that Japanese guy someone mentioned. I seem to remember him from other sporting forums I read :P

#33 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 211 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:36 PM

I think there are some good ideas here, particularly bringing back the 5 yard (or is it metres now?) rule. This could get us away from the five drives and a kick stuff we sometimes see, as the five drives would be less effective. We may even see a return of the creative, crafty half back of the sepia-tinged past.

I like the rule about kicking too. More incentive to keep the ball in hand.

With regard scrums, I'd actually like to see pushing brought back, but I guess that makes me a bit of a fervent traditionalist. The advantage, though, would be that the forwards would have to pack down rather than the current situation of a prop often being first receiver, leading to the first of the five drives.

Another rule change I'd favour - related to the idea of only allowing two defenders in the tackle - is to have a second referee whose responsibility is, primarily, to police the PTB. Too often the defending team clamp the ball while the tacklee is getting up, and I think it's this that slows the PTB down more than the number of defenders involved.

#34 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 211 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

Ooh. I called myself someone who wears a particular form of low profile headwear, and it came out as "fervent traditionalist". Cool.

#35 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,019 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:35 PM

A scrum isn't a glorified PTB but a PTB was a mini scrum that's probably why you see a connection.

#36 Vasile Andreica

Vasile Andreica
  • Facebook
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:38 PM

A scrum isn't a glorified PTB but a PTB was a mini scrum that's probably why you see a connection.

I know, but the Rugby League scrum of nowadays is pretty much a glorified PTB. To my eyes, at least.

That's why I proposed an ordinary PTB, but with this punishing caveat: the offending team surrenders a bonus tackle. This is what the current "tackle zero" rule does anyway, when the other team recovers a fumbled ball.

Edited by Vasile Andreica, 25 July 2013 - 05:43 PM.

#37 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:40 PM

Some of these posts remind of those of a poster who used to be on the forum under a Japanese user name who liked suggesting rule changes....................

same thoughts as me! ha

#38 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:40 PM

siegsiege I think?

#39 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,019 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:43 PM

I know, but the Rugby League scrum of nowadays is pretty much a glorified PTB. To my eyes, at least.

I have no problem with the scrum just the way it's reffed. I'm sick of refs coaching players to bind on correctly or get their heads in. I don't mind a fullback going to loose forward but if he doesn't know how to pack down penalise him don't coach him. This way if coaches want to be clever around scrums they would have to make sure the players know what they are doing.

#40 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:46 PM

Pushing at the scrim is still allowed.
Last week Hunslet caught Barrow out in the last couple of minutes winning the ball right under the Barrow posts.

I do like the sound of most of the OP suggestions.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users