TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Rugby League rules - some proposals from a new fan

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,813 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:54 PM

Scrums are needed, they take 12 players out of the game.

If the ball is kicked dead I'd like to see the game restarted from where the kick was made, or 30m from the goal line - whichever is the further.

The original poster is about as genuine as Jordan's knockers, or Kath Hetherington's smile.
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#42 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:25 PM

Some of these posts remind of those of a poster who used to be on the forum under a Japanese user name who liked suggesting rule changes....................

The proposals are a lot more thought out though.

#43 Vasile Andreica

Vasile Andreica
  • Facebook
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:07 PM

If the ball is kicked dead I'd like to see the game restarted from where the kick was made, or 30m from the goal line - whichever is the further.

The original poster is about as genuine as Jordan's knockers, or Kath Hetherington's smile.

I am a bit confused about the last sentence - care to elaborate?

#44 latchford albion

latchford albion
  • Coach
  • 384 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:19 PM

Not sure. The Japanese poster was an obvious troll; if this is trolling it's pretty skilful - I think some of the suggestions have merit. Agree with you about the need for scrums though.

#45 Vasile Andreica

Vasile Andreica
  • Facebook
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:04 PM

OK, to put the question to rest - here is my Facebook page: https://www.facebook...asile.iosif.121

You would agree it would be very difficult to set it up just to troll a forum dedicated to a sport virtually never played in my country.

#46 RLRatings

RLRatings
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:40 AM

He meant a 15-15 scoreline (5 penalties each, I suppose).

Yes :) Although there may have been a drop goal too...
www.rugbyleagueratings.com - proving that Featherstone were bound to beat Cas, since 2011.

#47 latchford albion

latchford albion
  • Coach
  • 384 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:51 AM

Now that the OP has shown bona fides can we go back to discussing some of the suggestions? I have always been agnostic on the 10 metre rule and would be interested in seeing how a game with restricted tacklers in 5 metres would work. Not that it's likely to happen.

#48 Vasile Andreica

Vasile Andreica
  • Facebook
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:59 PM

I have seen footage from the 80s when the ball was kicked back immediately after kickoff. Also, there were inventive string passing plays even at the 1st tackle.

Edited by Vasile Andreica, 26 July 2013 - 02:13 PM.

#49 latchford albion

latchford albion
  • Coach
  • 384 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:01 PM

There is a danger of generalising from watching old footage on YouTube or elsewhere because not many people post anything other than the most outstanding plays. Watching the 1982 Kangaroos, there is some brilliantly inventive back play under the 5 metre rule, but this is the absolute pinnacle. Many of the games I watched in the 70s and 80s involved a midfield slog in the mud with the wingers barely getting a sniff of the ball.

#50 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,881 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

I've said for a while they're shouldn't be a Scrum after a knock on, hand the ball over and carry on. They're should should be Scrum after a kick into touch, its a skill and can be used as a defensive tactic.

#51 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,881 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:09 PM

Now that the OP has shown bona fides can we go back to discussing some of the suggestions? I have always been agnostic on the 10 metre rule and would be interested in seeing how a game with restricted tacklers in 5 metres would work. Not that it's likely to happen.

Let's meet in the middle and go to 7.5m.

#52 hoff

hoff
  • Coach
  • 161 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

If I had the chance to organise a trial game I woukd like to see how things worked with a 5m tackle retreat rule and a shot clock with maybe 60 seconds of possession per team instead of six tackles. I believe this would really encourage skill, speed and flair and possibly make the game more unpredictable. Instead of awarding a penalty kick the ref could instead add a set amount of time to the clock.

#53 Vasile Andreica

Vasile Andreica
  • Facebook
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:12 PM

If I had the chance to organise a trial game I woukd like to see how things worked with a 5m tackle retreat rule and a shot clock with maybe 60 seconds of possession per team instead of six tackles. I believe this would really encourage skill, speed and flair and possibly make the game more unpredictable. Instead of awarding a penalty kick the ref could instead add a set amount of time to the clock.

Not sure about this. In my opinion, the 6-tackle rule is very good and needs no tweaking. A time limit for possesion is never used in any form of football.

Edited by Vasile Andreica, 26 July 2013 - 05:16 PM.

#54 hoff

hoff
  • Coach
  • 161 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:15 PM

Not sure about this. In my opinion, the 6-tackle rule is very good and needs no tweaking. A time limit for posession is not used in any form of football.

I agree theres nothing wrong with 6 tackles, it was just a random musing :)

#55 Vasile Andreica

Vasile Andreica
  • Facebook
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:33 PM

In the NRL today, Broncos-Cowboys game, 18-16 with 20 seconds to go, with the Broncos trying to delay anything, Cowboys got a penalty in their half. Long kick, new set at about 25 metres from the goal line. Passes, line break attempt, tackle, game over.

A full set would have been very exciting, to say the least.

#56 latchford albion

latchford albion
  • Coach
  • 384 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:59 PM

Let's meet in the middle and go to 7.5m.

Well Lee Briers was remonstrating with the ref in the Warrington Hudds game that they were 8 metres back so maybe they have split the difference and told no one.

#57 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:17 PM

Well Lee Briers was remonstrating with the ref in the Warrington Hudds game that they were 8 metres back so maybe they have split the difference and told no one.

What I heard him saying was "YOU were 8 metres" (emphasis mine)

#58 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:19 PM

In the NRL today, Broncos-Cowboys game, 18-16 with 20 seconds to go, with the Broncos trying to delay anything, Cowboys got a penalty in their half. Long kick, new set at about 25 metres from the goal line. Passes, line break attempt, tackle, game over.

A full set would have been very exciting, to say the least.

but it was i assume still exciting with one final play.

#59 Vasile Andreica

Vasile Andreica
  • Facebook
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:39 PM

but it was i assume still exciting with one final play.

As I said, the game is pretty good as it is now. It may only need some fine tuning :)

#60 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,813 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:43 PM

Credit where it's due, this guy is certainly putting a lot of effort in to this character.
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users