Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Future Championship format?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 glemiln

glemiln
  • Coach
  • 193 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:55 PM

To be honest IMO if their ever is a season to be relegated its this one. It will be alot easier to be in the 2 coming up than getting out of the 7 going down next season.

as champ 1 will be split into a north and south league.

They should just have 1 team from north and one team from south go up, or even have a playoff between the top teams of each division.

Thats exactly what is planned ie one up from each conference.

The above was from the Barrow site.

Have I missed something, or is it just speculation from the basis of "plans" floated on restructuring SL for 2015?

I seem to recollect that a meeting of the Championship clubs was planned recently, but with any feedback?

#2 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 497 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:46 PM

In an article in the programme for yesterday's challenge cup semi final it said the championship clubs recently voted in favour of the proposed reorganisation.

It would be interesting to know which clubs voted for what, and by voting for this, what were they rejecting, the status quo or one of any alternative structures.  But I doubt that rugby league suporters will ever be provided with that information.

I expect it was the same clubs who voted for the current seasons expansion.(Would clubs like to hold up their hands as a matter of transparency?)I see their was another attendence (105) yesterday which on top of the embarrasing semi final score on saturday allows outsiders to question the credibility of the way the game is currently organised.  I wonder how many of the 105 actually paid admission and how many of them were full price?  They must have been outnumbered by players, subs, coaches, physios, water boys and officials. And we are told further exapnsion is on the way.  Clearly there is a market out there - just that the RFL dont seem to be able to find it.  There approach to expansion seems to be based on a game of sticking the tail on the donkey - close your eyes, spin around three times and stick a pin in the map.

#3 PhilCarrington

PhilCarrington
  • Coach
  • 208 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:21 AM

In an article in the programme for yesterday's challenge cup semi final it said the championship clubs recently voted in favour of the proposed reorganisation.

It would be interesting to know which clubs voted for what, and by voting for this, what were they rejecting, the status quo or one of any alternative structures.  But I doubt that rugby league suporters will ever be provided with that information.

I expect it was the same clubs who voted for the current seasons expansion.(Would clubs like to hold up their hands as a matter of transparency?)I see their was another attendence (105) yesterday which on top of the embarrasing semi final score on saturday allows outsiders to question the credibility of the way the game is currently organised.  I wonder how many of the 105 actually paid admission and how many of them were full price?  They must have been outnumbered by players, subs, coaches, physios, water boys and officials. And we are told further exapnsion is on the way.  Clearly there is a market out there - just that the RFL dont seem to be able to find it.  There approach to expansion seems to be based on a game of sticking the tail on the donkey - close your eyes, spin around three times and stick a pin in the map.

Not outnumbered, they would be part of the 105. But Rome wasn't built in a day.

#4 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 497 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:06 AM

No but it did burn down while its leaders fiddled. 

If players, coaches and officials were part of the 105 that means there would be less than 50 true spectators for a professional rugby league game.

What criteria are we to use to judge the success of this massive expansion of teams into non traditional playing areas?  What did the business plan say and how does that compare to what has happened? How long should we expect it to take to 'build Rome? The clowns running rugby league have been failing to make expansion south succesful since the turn of the century (not the last one but the one before that!). Is the biggest drubbing in a cup semi final in almost 120 years of history good for the game? 

#5 glemiln

glemiln
  • Coach
  • 193 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:22 AM

Nigel Wood said on Boots n'All last week after the Championship clubs meeting in Dewsbury that all the Championship clubs were very supportive of the new system of 2 x 12's and 3 x 8's.

Whilst the 12 SL clubs are to get £1.3 million, the top four Championship clubs are to receive £650k; £600k; £550k and £500k depending on their position and from 5th down to 12 the clubs will receive £200k down to £150k, so a club finishing 12th and bottom will be £60k better off than the £90k they receive this season.
The 3 x eights are 1. Top 8 in SL1, 2. Bottom four in SL1 and top four from Championship (or SL2) and 3. 5th to 12th clubs in Championship (or SL2). The North / South leagues are what is now the Championship 1 but split in to two leagues.
SL1 - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

SL2 - A B C D E F G H I J K L

1st group of 8 - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

2nd group of 8 - 9 10 11 12 A B C D (Top 4 go up to SL1 next season)

3rd group of 8 - E F G H I J K L (Bottom club relegated to Champ 1)
Don't forget that if Toulouse are accepted in to SL1 for 2015, three current SL teams will come down to SL2 which means that 5 current Championship clubs will drop in to what is now Championship 1 which is to be divided in to two leagues (north and South). So Championship clubs have to finish in the top 9 next season in order to be assured of a place in SL2 the following season. Where do you think the extra money will be spent by the clubs?

From discussions on the Barrow site.

Look forward to reading the reactions!

#6 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 497 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

How much money will flow to the clubs in the n/s leagues I wonder, and when it says all championship clubs were very supportive i wonder if that is meant to include championship 1 clubs - or have championship clubs voted (with the promise of more money) to increase the divide between champ and champ 1 clubs (only one promotion place).  I see the N-S leagues being created as an easy format for RFL to at some stage disown them as professional leagues.  Expansion would therefore have been a smoke screen for getting rid of some long serving clubs.

Sorry to be so cynical and I hope i am wrong.

#7 DiddyDave

DiddyDave
  • Coach
  • 212 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:56 AM

Expansion is only a good thing if there`s enough interest player wise and spectator wise at wherever the powers that be want to go. It appears to me that the focal point for all this change (new leagues and clubs,summer rugby,etc) is to try to compete with football and it just can`t be done anymore. Wouldn`t it be better to consolidate in traditional rugby league towns and cities,have only one major comp of all the best sides (Super League,I guess),and have teams like Hornets as feeder clubs? Let`s face it,the game will never get back to pre Sky TV days and Hornets are struggling to get out of this ###### league,never mind get into Super League,and we`re all kidding ourselves if we think otherwise. There would be the chance that any decent youngsters will have the incentive of progressing to the top side as well as Hornets getting good players coming the other way to try to improve their form. Everything should start from the bottom up,not the top down,if there`s no grass roots rugby,there`s no professional rugby either. This is basically how things are done out here in Australia,the NRL won`t have a bar of unsustainable expansion,(good player strength and massive finances are essential),and rightly so. The game has to compete with the other strong winter codes,so it`s imperative that they get things right at grass roots level(schoolboys,local sides),so it`s all in place to progress as they get older. Pie in the sky maybe,but better than this garbage they`re continually coming out with now.

#8 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 342 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:03 AM

I could not agree more Dave

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW

#9 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 497 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:08 AM

And Bradford reported to have missed there payroll again!

Who got the game into this mess and how will we get out of it?  Not by all championship clubs supporting the latest re-disorganisation of the league I fear.

#10 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:14 AM

Hi guys was reading your topic. Just to let you know the RFL had a meeting last night and the 2 leagues of 12 with the 3x8 is definately happening in 2015.

#11 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 439 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:20 AM

and would like to add that Ralph Rimmer and Blake Solley said the third tier would be a national league, not regionalised. There would be some type of regionalisation of fixtures though- i.e a team from Cumbria might not play the Skolars home and away but would play a team from Lancashire home and away

#12 glemiln

glemiln
  • Coach
  • 193 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:57 AM

This could be the full format from 2015.

Presumably it will be at least 2 relegated from the current Championship to make way for two former SL clubs at the end of 2014 and possibly Toulouse?  Notwithstanding Bradford's continuing problems! The pressure on current and newly promoted clubs to the Championship to be the new SL2 will no doubt result in some kamikaze efforts.

So, still all to play for this and next season with bar raised.

Trying to decipher info. on this crucial matter is difficult to say the least, but it's RFL territory! Hope that the club puts out a detailed statement to avoid any doubt.

SL1 ......12 teams

SL2........12 teams

The original plan by the RFL - unsure if it is still the case.

The clubs in each division would play each other home and away plus a Magic Weekend fixture (23 games) before splitting into three groups of eight for a qualifying play-off series. The middle eight would involve the bottom four clubs from Super League competing against the top four Championship clubs. The clubs would play each other once (seven matches) before the play-offs conclude in a 1st x 4th and 2nd v 3rd format with the winners contesting the Grand Final. To ease fixture congestion, the top eight Super League clubs would receive a bye into the fifth round of the Tetley’s Challenge Cup.

Championship 1 (New)

From the meeting:

The rep from Hemel Stags asked whether the third tier (Championship One) would be a national league.  The answer was a definite yes.  He was concerned that a regional split would not give Hemel competitive games against the Northern Region Clubs. It was confirmed that the competition would be national.  There may be some games that would not be home and away depending on how many teams they actually ended up with in the league and how many games were to be played in that league. If for example there were 14 teams but less than 26 games were to be played then there may be less games against your furthest opponent E.g. a London team may only play a Cumbrian team once a season.

Another CC1 thing that is worth mentioning is that they said it was 2 up 2 down between the third tier and SL2 which, as far as I'm concerned, is great news. Think they were looking at 22-26 games (didnt quite catch the first number but the last was definitely 26)

#13 Lakeside

Lakeside
  • Players
  • 92 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:43 PM

It will certainly be a test for the Hornets spend nowt model

#14 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 614 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:53 PM

and would like to add that Ralph Rimmer and Blake Solley said the third tier would be a national league, not regionalised. There would be some type of regionalisation of fixtures though- i.e a team from Cumbria might not play the Skolars home and away but would play a team from Lancashire home and away

I can confirm that RBS and Glemiln have quoted correctly from the meeting. I was one of the 4 North Wales Cru reps there with particular interest in CH1 and CH proposed re-structure.

#15 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:51 PM

Here we go again, Hornets spend what they can afford so they aren't going to end up in a financial mess.  If Anita is right about the Bulls missing the payroll that makes us better than them.  All our players get paid, everything, every month!

Perhaps if all the people who claim to know businessmen who want to spend money at Hornets but not as a Co-Op changed their mind and accepted the model and worked with it we'd be able to compete with the other clubs who spend more than we do???  However, if these people just want to go back to the old ways whether well meant or what they will not get it.  We are a Co-Op and until the board puts a proposal forward to change this and the members vote to accept it a Co-Op we will remain.

Whatever, I will stay a Hornets fan and only a Hornets fan until my last breath!  Know what I mean?

Pugwash.

Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

War doesn't decide who is right, just who is left!

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#16 ArthurDaley

ArthurDaley
  • Coach
  • 491 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:05 PM

Its right, its in the Mail.

http://www.dailymail...-Omar-Khan.html
A large VAT Dave please.

Allso known as Teodozjusz Matuschanskavasky

#17 PooingDog

PooingDog
  • Coach
  • 976 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:47 PM

Just accept it Lakeside, Hornets want to remain solvent, there's nothing you can do to change that.
Memento mori

Who cares -Wins!!!

Carpe Cerevisi

AKA. Winston Smith

Give 'em a fair trial..........and then hang 'em"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users