Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Minor celebrities with no discernible talent

• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#41 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

...or Dermot O'Leary because he's well he's a bloke isn't he? Someone to have a pint with

#42 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,502 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:24 PM

Hozzaaattt!!

I guess Rylan got where he is (currently presenting big brother) because he could sing.

Well played sir
Then there's peter Andre
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#43 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,502 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

Have we had Helen Flanagan yet?
The talented, cerebral, ms Flanagan is in a new show called 'celebrity spa' in which she and other celebrities work in a spa . If they had to work in a Spar it might be a different story
Flanagan is the ultimate pointless member of the human race
Keeping it local

#44 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:31 PM

On the original point:

- The Coalition Cabinet

- The Shadow Cabinet

I was trying to think of honourable exceptions from those two catch-all buckets but then decided that I couldn't be bothered.

A category all to herself: Kay Burley

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#45 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:57 PM

Gavin Henson  :ph34r:

#46 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,433 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:54 PM

Henson has talent, just not for being on tv or being humble.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#47 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:00 PM

Hozzaaattt!!

I guess Rylan got where he is (currently presenting big brother) because he could sing.

Is he anything like the level of Price or Katona?

There are a number of men that have tried but none get to the level or stay around as long as these do. They cannot fill the magazines in the same way. As somebody who doesn't watch BB any more I'd forgotten that Rylan existed, however you'd be hard pressed to find somebody that doesn't know these exist.

#48 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,303 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:57 AM

Have we had Helen Flanagan yet?
The talented, cerebral, ms Flanagan is in a new show called 'celebrity spa' in which she and other celebrities work in a spa . If they had to work in a Spar it might be a different story
Flanagan is the ultimate pointless member of the human race

I know what you mean but don't quite agree. (ref my mother in law, for example)

Flanagan ( if only she'd marry someone called Allan!)  is a victim of a system that demonstrates all that is wrong with celebrity culture, though the egalitarian in me says that if she can make it, so can anyone.  She is undoubtedly not very bright and is very naive and unthinking. However, she has to be where she is today because there is a market and an audience for vapid stupid actresses who are in really just becoming themselves, not playing a part.

#49 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:25 PM

After seeing him on telly for some news clip or other, I was going to suggest Justin Beiber but unfortunately realised that he's quite a major celebrity these days.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#50 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:05 PM

Flanagan ( if only she'd marry someone called Allan!)  is a victim of a system that demonstrates all that is wrong with celebrity culture, though the egalitarian in me says that if she can make it, so can anyone.  She is undoubtedly not very bright and is very naive and unthinking. However, she has to be where she is today because there is a market and an audience for vapid stupid actresses who are in really just becoming themselves, not playing a part.

There does seem to be an element in our society that promotes stupidity. There are more and more people setting themselves up as stupid and making knowingly stupid comments because it is seen as funny or adorable. Jade Goody was a good example.

#51 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

any tv chef- mainly the fat tongued one - yes you can cook- I don't need to watch you do your job though
the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#52 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,502 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:22 PM

any tv chef- mainly the fat tongued one - yes you can cook- I don't need to watch you do your job though

some of them are a waste of time

but some are very good to watch and learn from if you are a keen cook

Keeping it local

#53 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,994 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:44 PM

Is he anything like the level of Price or Katona?

There are a number of men that have tried but none get to the level or stay around as long as these do. They cannot fill the magazines in the same way. As somebody who doesn't watch BB any more I'd forgotten that Rylan existed, however you'd be hard pressed to find somebody that doesn't know these exist.

What about that Mark Wright fella ?

John Barrowman - the uberlord of talentless smarmy tw@s

Nick Knowles

Alesha Dixon

That Welsh lass of the One Show

The panel off Loose Women, especially Chris Evans' ex-missus and the cruise ship singer

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#54 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:28 PM

Nick Knowles

Alesha Dixon

The panel off Loose Women, especially Chris Evans' ex-missus and the cruise ship singer

I'd hazard a guess that Kerry Katona has made 10 times what Mark Wright has out of being a pro-celebrity. With Katie Price you could probaby multiply it by 20.

Men are very much the poorer partner when it comes to talentless celebrities. The reason I think for this is because women can appeal to both sexes, the men perve on them and buy the lads mags and the women read the womens mags and buy the merchandise. I doubt very many straight males have an interest in Mark Wright enough to buy a magazine with him in it or read his book (I'm sure he's got one somewhere).

I originally replied to the all too frequent accusation of misogyny (literally women-hating) that was directed at members of this board. I was pointing out why I think women appear more frequently in this thread and it is because when it comes to jobs where there are either a lot of candidates (news, weather) or jobs that require little talent (TV presenting) women will be more often picked for their looks. The men on the other hand will more often be picked because of personality, humour or distinguished career.

Look at the One show. The males that have presented the show have been known before the show: Chiles (Business, Football), Chris Evans, Jason Manford (comedian) and now Matt Baker (Blue Peter, Countryfile). Only Baker could be classed as being chose for anything other than personality.

Then look at the women that have been picked, Nadia Sawalha, Bleakley (largely regional TV), Alex Jones (largely regional Welsh TV), Myleene Klass. Only Sawalha really fits the category of being picked for her personality rather than looks.

It's the classic Big Breakfast line-up, funny male host with sexy female host. Men can be just as talentless and the reason I think there are less is because less are picked purely because they are good looking.

Edited by Maximus Decimus, 31 July 2013 - 04:29 PM.

#55 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:40 PM

She's forgiven for having the most phenomenal rack. :ph34r:

#56 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:41 PM

My only issue with TV chefs are they never give  the price on just how much their baked oyster, lobster and monkfish with truffle fish pie for 6 costs.

#57 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:20 PM

I'd be very happy to show her some of my talents!

#58 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:41 PM

The hairy bikers. They did one of their set at a friend if mine's. they talk on about the food and the joy of cooking etc on camera. Then off camera another bloke comes in and actually cooks the food.

This is the worse form, since the pretend to do the job you think they do

Edited by Bostik Bailey, 31 July 2013 - 06:23 PM.

#59 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:13 PM

The hairy bikers. They did one of their set at a friend if mine's. they talk on about the food and the joy of cooking etc on camera. Then off camera another bloke com
es in and actually cooks the food.

This is the worse form, since the pretend to do the job you think they do

That's terrible!!

At least one of them is a rugger ###### too.
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#60 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:15 PM

Nick Knowles

Alesha Dixon

I'm with you all the way. I dot mid the lass from The One Show, she has a talent for holding together a show that at times must be almost impossible.

I don't understand how Matt Baker gets any gig on TV, he a professionally glee at all times, and doesn't ever convince me that he wouldn't be the most boring company on a night out.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 31 July 2013 - 06:18 PM.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,