Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Minor celebrities with no discernible talent

• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#81 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:31 AM

I'd hazard a guess that Kerry Katona has made 10 times what Mark Wright has out of being a pro-celebrity. With Katie Price you could probaby multiply it by 20.

Men are very much the poorer partner when it comes to talentless celebrities. The reason I think for this is because women can appeal to both sexes, the men perve on them and buy the lads mags and the women read the womens mags and buy the merchandise. I doubt very many straight males have an interest in Mark Wright enough to buy a magazine with him in it or read his book (I'm sure he's got one somewhere).

I originally replied to the all too frequent accusation of misogyny (literally women-hating) that was directed at members of this board. I was pointing out why I think women appear more frequently in this thread and it is because when it comes to jobs where there are either a lot of candidates (news, weather) or jobs that require little talent (TV presenting) women will be more often picked for their looks. The men on the other hand will more often be picked because of personality, humour or distinguished career.

Look at the One show. The males that have presented the show have been known before the show: Chiles (Business, Football), Chris Evans, Jason Manford (comedian) and now Matt Baker (Blue Peter, Countryfile). Only Baker could be classed as being chose for anything other than personality.

Then look at the women that have been picked, Nadia Sawalha, Bleakley (largely regional TV), Alex Jones (largely regional Welsh TV), Myleene Klass. Only Sawalha really fits the category of being picked for her personality rather than looks.

It's the classic Big Breakfast line-up, funny male host with sexy female host. Men can be just as talentless and the reason I think there are less is because less are picked purely because they are good looking.

I didn't accuse you personally of misogyny. My comment was referring the the fact that almost twice as many women as men were deemed talentless when I posted. It was also posted with a question mark because it was the topic of the day on Radio 5live.

I pulled you up personally because you stated that there are no male equivalents. You made that statement, I didn't accuse you of anything.

You also seem to think Rylan isn't applicable because you don't watch big brother.

And again the above comment. Women are picked for looks and men are picked for talent

So essentially a celebrity is someone you know. If it's a women, she got there because she's got looks and if it's a man he's more than likely been picked for his talent.

Do you have any other insightful evidence as to why women are more talentless than men?

#82 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,503 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:38 PM

any tv chef- mainly the fat tongued one - yes you can cook- I don't need to watch you do your job though

Ah so you mean jamie Oliver
Im surprised you didn't know his name he's very famous

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 01 August 2013 - 06:56 PM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#83 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:45 PM

Which one is which. Can't stand the wet one, just want to shout at him to man up. No bloke should be that wet.

Myers is the one with the Barrow accent, Si is the Geordie.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#84 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,005 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:59 PM

Celebrity Masterchef, caught the last five minutes, and genuinely had no idea who three out of the four were.

Janet Street-Porter being the only one I knew.
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#85 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,041 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:17 PM

Myers is the one with the Barrow accent, Si is the Geordie.

That really doesn't narrow it down. ;)
Fides invicta triumphat

#86 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:55 PM

I suddenly like Dave. He has talent. Did you get chance to look at his feet an indulge your fetish?

I try not to indulge my fetish on Sundays when I'm watching rugby (unfortunately the urge sometimes overrides my willpower.)
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#87 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,289 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:37 PM

And again the above comment. Women are picked for looks and men are picked for talent

So essentially a celebrity is someone you know. If it's a women, she got there because she's got looks and if it's a man he's more than likely been picked for his talent.

Do you have any other insightful evidence as to why women are more talentless than men?

I think you should re-read Max's comments. He was talking about TV presenters and I'd say he was right on the money. Women TV presenters are usually talentless but pretty whereas their male counterparts are generally less good looking but have something about them.

Now you've taken that to be a statement about "Slebs" in general. I'm not sure why. I doubt that anyone thinks that female singers are about as talented as their male equivalents for instance.

#88 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:45 PM

Surprised that no-ones mentioned the appalling Miranda Hart yet. Maybe I'm missing something, but her show appears to be humourless dross in which every 'gag' is based on the fact that she's tall. Someone told me a while back that she's actually a member of the aristocracy and something like 17th in line to the throne, which would explain how she's managed to gain access to our television schedules despite having no talent.

Posted Image

#89 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,041 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:05 AM

Surprised that no-ones mentioned the appalling Miranda Hart yet. Maybe I'm missing something, but her show appears to be humourless dross in which every 'gag' is based on the fact that she's tall. Someone told me a while back that she's actually a member of the aristocracy and something like 17th in line to the throne, which would explain how she's managed to gain access to our television schedules despite having no talent.

I quite like her. Only seen one episode of her show but it was quite funny. She's a fine actress and very good in Call the Midwife.
Fides invicta triumphat

#90 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,766 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:19 AM

Being in line to the throne gets you a job on television? Don't take that tinfoil hat off...

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#91 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,434 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:25 AM

Being in line to the throne gets you a job on television? Don't take that tinfoil hat off...

You're right. She had to battle past all those contemporaries who had parents working in television and the media.

I regularly check the end-of-programme credits and play a silent game of "spot the surname".

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#92 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,005 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:35 AM

You're right. She had to battle past all those contemporaries who had parents working in television and the media.

I regularly check the end-of-programme credits and play a silent game of "spot the surname".

Yes. You either have to accept that they are genetically predisposed to be talented or that there are other forces at work which afford them opportunities....

The Beckhams kids will be extremely talented and have high profile success. I'm sure of it.

It was all going well for Richard and Judy's daughter for a while......
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#93 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,167 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:43 AM

Davina Mccall

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#94 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,503 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:15 AM

Her father was a naval officer
He commanded the destroyer Coventry in the Falklands war
The Coventry was sunk with considerable casualties

I'm not a big fan but I think she gets her gig on merit
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#95 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,766 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:31 AM

She has her detractors, but also a lot of fans. Hers is one of the few successful sitcoms the BBC has had in recent years.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#96 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,874 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:38 AM

The hairy bikers. They did one of their set at a friend if mine's. they talk on about the food and the joy of cooking etc on camera. Then off camera another bloke comes in and actually cooks the food.

This is the worse form, since the pretend to do the job you think they do

Not true; I've seen them do a live show and they definitely do the cooking. What they do have though is a home economist who does all the boring stuff, which makes sense as I don't want to spend my money on watching someone chopping onions and peeling spuds etc.

You do know they both had successful careers before stepping in front of the cameras don't you?

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#97 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,874 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:42 AM

She was also at school (Downe House School) with Clare Balding (who is a relative of the queen). Do people wish to also lump Claire into the Minor celebrities with no discernible talent category as she has pretty much had the same upbringing as Miranda Heart?

Edited by Griff9of13, 02 August 2013 - 11:44 AM.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#98 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,766 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:07 PM

She was also at school (Downe House School) with Clare Balding (who is a relative of the queen). Do people wish to also lump Claire into the Minor celebrities with no discernible talent category as she has pretty much had the same upbringing as Miranda Heart?

Probably - some people's idea of the upper classes seems to be drawn almost totally from the pages of 'The Beano'.

#99 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,434 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:13 PM

Rubbish. I used to buy the Dandy as well.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#100 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,041 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:52 PM

Its a very British thing to be disparaging of success as seen on this thread. You may not like the individual concerned or their work, but many people cited on here (unfairly IMO) are very talented else they wouldn't be doing what they are doing. 

Fides invicta triumphat