Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Minor celebrities with no discernible talent

• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#101 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,461 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:00 PM

Its a very British thing to be disparaging of success as seen on this thread. You may not like the individual concerned or their work, but many people cited on here (unfairly IMO) are very talented else they wouldn't be doing what they are doing.

I don't know about narrowing it down to 'British'; posting disparaging comments about successful people seems to be symptomatic of the internet in general.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#102 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,175 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:11 PM

Surprised that no-ones mentioned the appalling Miranda Hart yet. Maybe I'm missing something, but her show appears to be humourless dross in which every 'gag' is based on the fact that she's tall. Someone told me a while back that she's actually a member of the aristocracy and something like 17th in line to the throne, which would explain how she's managed to gain access to our television schedules despite having no talent.

I don't find her funny but clearly lots of people do. A poor example of "talentless". I'd say that a posh background actually handicaps you in comedy.

#103 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,942 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:57 PM

I don't find her funny but clearly lots of people do. A poor example of "talentless". I'd say that a posh background actually handicaps you in comedy.

I don't think it does
Marcus brigstocke
Alexander Armstrong
Miranda hart herself
Spring immediately to mind

It's just the route they take to fame that's different: the footlights, comedy clubs and so on

In fact it could be that working class comedians are becoming fewer with the demise of working men's clubs although there are still plenty of comedians from working class backgrounds

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 02 August 2013 - 05:00 PM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#104 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,875 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:55 PM

I don't think it does
Marcus brigstocke
Alexander Armstrong
Miranda hart herself

It's just the route they take to fame that's different: the footlights, comedy clubs and so on

In fact it could be that working class comedians are becoming fewer with the demise of working men's clubs although there are still plenty of comedians from working class backgrounds

Stephen Fry
Hugh Laurie
Essentially the Cambridge Footlights alumni.
Fides invicta triumphat

#105 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,175 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:27 PM

I don't think it does
Marcus brigstocke
Alexander Armstrong
Miranda hart herself

A grand total of three.

#106 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,175 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:32 PM

Stephen Fry
Hugh Laurie
Essentially the Cambridge Footlights alumni.

Different generation.

Comedy took a different direction in the 80s and its never really swung back. It went from satyrising the powerful, which posh lads tended to be very good at (as they were closer to the people they satyrised), to alternative "observational comedy". I don't think you endear yourself to an audience by telling them about anecdotes from your preparatory school.

Edited by Northern Sol, 02 August 2013 - 06:36 PM.

#107 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,115 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:34 PM

Jack Whitehouse

Michael McIntyre

Both posh.

For me; one's funny, one isn't.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#108 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,115 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:38 PM

Rhod Gilbert.

Welsh and working class.

Laugh? I thought I'd never start.

Endlessly whining tw@

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#109 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:51 PM

Its a very British thing to be disparaging of success as seen on this thread. You may not like the individual concerned or their work, but many people cited on here (unfairly IMO) are very talented else they wouldn't be doing what they are doing. 

I actually think people have been pretty fair.  There have been challenges and reasons given, especially when it appears it's just a dislike rather than a clear cut lack of talent.

Can anyone explain why Christine Hamilton has a licence fee funded gig on BBC1?

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#110 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:52 PM

Rhod Gilbert.

Welsh and working class.

Laugh? I thought I'd never start.

Endlessly whining tw@

I like him.  His show on radio Wales is generally pretty good too.  Comes over as a likeable happy go lucky lad, who recognises how lucky he's been.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#111 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,942 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:27 PM

A grand total of three.

not at all

they were just ones that sprang to mind immediately

Keeping it local

#112 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,942 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:29 PM

Different generation.

Comedy took a different direction in the 80s and its never really swung back. It went from satyrising the powerful, which posh lads tended to be very good at (as they were closer to the people they satyrised), to alternative "observational comedy". I don't think you endear yourself to an audience by telling them about anecdotes from your preparatory school.

ben miller

mitchell and webb

Keeping it local

#113 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,175 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:33 PM

I don't think I said it's impossible to be posh and successful in comedy just that it is a disadvantage rather than an advantage.

#114 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,942 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:29 AM

[quote name="Northern Sol" post="2759906" timestamp="1375472036"]

I don't think I said it's impossible to be posh and successful in comedy just that it is a disadvantage rather than an advantage.[/quote
How?

Al Murray
Keeping it local

#115 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,875 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:13 AM

[quote name="l'angelo mysterioso" post="2760161" timestamp="1375514960"]

[quote name="Northern Sol" post="2759906" timestamp="1375472036"]

I don't think I said it's impossible to be posh and successful in comedy just that it is a disadvantage rather than an advantage.[/quote
How?

Al Murray[/quote]

Al Murray went to Oxbridge but I don't think he's that posh, probably middle class IMO.
Fides invicta triumphat

#116 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:32 AM

I think you should re-read Max's comments. He was talking about TV presenters and I'd say he was right on the money. Women TV presenters are usually talentless but pretty whereas their male counterparts are generally less good looking but have something about them.

Now you've taken that to be a statement about "Slebs" in general. I'm not sure why. I doubt that anyone thinks that female singers are about as talented as their male equivalents for instance.

Are you having a laugh re the last paragraph? Read the thread title before wading in with your size 10's.

#117 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,175 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:41 AM

Are you having a laugh re the last paragraph? Read the thread title before wading in with your size 10's.

You weren't replying to the thread title, you were replying to Max's post. Perhaps you could do him the courtesy of reading it.

#118 Kiwi-Capper_merged

Kiwi-Capper_merged
  • Coach
  • 323 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:21 AM

ame="l'angelo mysterioso" post="2760161" timestamp="1375514960"]

Al Murray went to Oxbridge but I don't think he's that posh, probably middle class IMO.

I reckon, after reading his Wikipedia entry, Al Murray is most definitely posh.

David Mitchell, on the other hand, sounds posh but isn't really.

I think in the 80's being posh was a hindrance in such a way that it meant you weren't cool or edgy (Richard Herring's often retold anecdote about his first trip to Edinburgh with the Footlights is one example) but I don't think that these days it matters at all. In fact I reckon it helps get the foot in the door with regards to TV work.

#119 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,942 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:34 PM

ame="l'angelo mysterioso" post="2760161" timestamp="1375514960"]

father a senior army officer and he was educated privately

I'm not referencing actual posh necessarily but non workin g class since this addresses NS's point

Keeping it local

#120 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 749 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:28 PM

That tallentless smug sharky used car sales man type bloke who keeps popping up on BBC conman shows....Googles.....

Dom Littlewood, thats the guy.

How does he keep getting them gigs?

Quite surprised nobody has mention a couple of long standing Rugby League presenters in this thread. 

Just about any presenter on the find a property type shows. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users