RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Minor celebrities with no discernible talent

• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#121 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,169 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:01 PM

If I may sum up.  No one who is on TV  is any good. Is that it? 

#122 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:01 PM

Never seen what David Gest is supposed to offer.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#123 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:09 PM

Never seen what David Gest is supposed to offer.

How not to have plastic surgery

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#124 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:15 PM

Brian Blessed.  I hear he's an actor, but everything I've seen him in he's just playing Brian Blessed shouting.

#125 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:13 PM

Jo Whiley. So glee and cool it's painful, loves "quality" music, but happy to promote any old tat voicing adverts for a bung of cash.

Johnny Ball's daughter as above.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 04 August 2013 - 09:14 PM.

• Just Browny likes this

#126 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,645 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:17 PM

Brian Blessed. I hear he's an actor, but everything I've seen him in he's just playing Brian Blessed shouting.

Listen to the recent podcast of the infinite monkey cage where Blessed talks very eloquently on the subject of space travel and human endeavour. I don't know much about his acting career, apart from playing Voltair in Flash Gordon ;), but I admire his humour, his adventures and wish I had tiny bit of his get up and go attitude.
Fides invicta triumphat

#127 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 39,806 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:21 PM

Listen to the recent podcast of the infinite monkey cage where Blessed talks very eloquently on the subject of space travel and human endeavour. I don't know much about his acting career, apart from playing Voltair in Flash Gordon ;), but I admire his humour, his adventures and wish I had tiny bit of his get up and go attitude.

he was brilliant as Jock Weir's partner in Z Cars

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

#128 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,169 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:22 PM

Fancy Smith

#129 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:43 AM

You weren't replying to the thread title, you were replying to Max's post. Perhaps you could do him the courtesy of reading it.

If the basis of someones argument is that "us men get a bit blind when we see a pair of ####" then I think my point is well made.

#130 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:17 AM

I don't think I said it's impossible to be posh and successful in comedy just that it is a disadvantage rather than an advantage.

The general trend seems to be that people from what some people would call 'posh' backgrounds generally make it in sketch shows (Footlights etc.), while those that could be called 'working class'* tend to work their way up the ladder from stand-up comedy. There are exceptions, of course.

Neither is intrinsically better just because of the relative wealth of their parents, and if you let someone's family, accent or place of education dictate what you permit yourself to see as funny, then that's a bit sad.

*there's a tedious thread specially set up for this subject somewhere... ;)

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#131 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:26 AM

Jo Whiley. So glee and cool it's painful, loves "quality" music, but happy to promote any old tat voicing adverts for a bung of cash.

Johnny Ball's daughter as above.

You're as miserable as bedlam breakout.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#132 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 39,806 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:45 AM

Fancy Smith

You're as miserable as bedlam breakout.

no

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

#133 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

Pat Sharp.

The only decent station I can get at work, that don't play One Direction every 4 minutes, is Smooth radio, and how he gets the DJ-ing afternoon gig I don't know.

The guy is a vacuous man-child.

• getdownmonkeyman likes this

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#134 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:26 PM

Thanks for that, I'm not sure that being eloquent warrants the fame he has.

I'm not of an ancient enough vintage to have seen Flash Gordon or Z-cars.

So what's he done since?

#135 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,645 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:14 AM

Thanks for that, I'm not sure that being eloquent warrants the fame he has.

I'm not of an ancient enough vintage to have seen Flash Gordon or Z-cars.

So what's he done since?

Are you saying he doesn't have any talent?

A quick look at IMDB shows that he has even very prolific in recent years working on children's television series and had a part in Family Guy.

Edited by Severus, 06 August 2013 - 07:17 AM.

Fides invicta triumphat

#136 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,393 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:34 AM

I don't think you endear yourself to an audience by telling them about anecdotes from your preparatory school.

No.  But you will almost certainly have gone to one.

You can play a game trying to find the comedians who aren't poshos.

David Mitchell is.  If you're one of the 7% (who account for over 80% of the media) who went to fee-paying school you're posh.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#137 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,393 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:39 AM

Are you saying he doesn't have any talent?

A quick look at IMDB shows that he has even very prolific in recent years working on children's television series and had a part in Family Guy.

I'm somewhat split on Brian Blessed.  He's very talented at playing Brian Blessed.  He's also excellent in Peppa Pig.

But he did come across as out of his depth in The Infinite Monkey Cage even if his heart was in the right place.

He's an actual not-at-all posho though so I give him the benefit of the doubt.

- Severus, July 2012

#138 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:11 AM

I'm somewhat split on Brian Blessed.  He's very talented at playing Brian Blessed.  He's also excellent in Peppa Pig.

But he did come across as out of his depth in The Infinite Monkey Cage even if his heart was in the right place.

He's an actual not-at-all posho though so I give him the benefit of the doubt.

I watched him in the repeats of I Claudius on BBC Three recently, and at no point did he do the Brian Blessed Shouty Thing. In fact, he was quite good. I suspect that over the years he's fallen into that caricature of himself, in much the same way that lots of actors do. Al Pacino starts a sentence softly, raises his voice in the middle, and then softens at the end. Does it all the time. Jack Nicholson has spent years being bigger than big, some blame seems to go to Kubrick who kept telling him "bigger, Jack, bigger" whilst filming The Shining.

Lots of actors just fall into that trap.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#139 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,393 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:16 AM

I watched him in the repeats of I Claudius on BBC Three recently, and at no point did he do the Brian Blessed Shouty Thing. In fact, he was quite good. I suspect that over the years he's fallen into that caricature of himself, in much the same way that lots of actors do. Al Pacino starts a sentence softly, raises his voice in the middle, and then softens at the end. Does it all the time. Jack Nicholson has spent years being bigger than big, some blame seems to go to Kubrick who kept telling him "bigger, Jack, bigger" whilst filming The Shining.

Good points.  I suspect there's also a strong case of giving the public what they want - rather like McEnroe doing his staged protests even on the senior circuit.

- Severus, July 2012

#140 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:39 AM

Interesting that many of the Hollywood stars who go on at length about 'method acting' actually play pretty much the same character all the time, just like the 'non-method' actors. Mumblin' Marlon Brando was one and, as stated above, Al Pacino does his "whisper whisper whisper SHOUT SHOUT SHOUT" thing rather a lot.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users