super league supermen, martin gleeson.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:59 PM

haven't seen this one before  it was pretty intense, although not much detail it wasn't needed gleeson was obviously very upset well done to him for coming on and saying it like it is.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#2 latchford albion

latchford albion
  • Coach
  • 318 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:52 AM

What did he say? Was it an Asafa Powell defence i.e. my nutritionist told me to take this?

In my opinion Gleeson was the best British centre since Paul Newlove but could have been so much better (than he turned out, not than Newlove) if he'd made different choices - and not just about what to put into his body.

Edited by latchford albion, 26 July 2013 - 03:44 PM.

#3 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:51 PM

Good interview

#4 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

What did he say? Was it an Asafa Powell defence i.e. my nutritionist told me to take this?

In my opinion Gleeson was the best British centre since Paul Newlove but could have been so much better (than he turned out, not than Newlove) if he'd made different choices - and not just about what to put into his body.

seems he couldn't say much as there is an ongoing case, but the poor lad was almost in tears telling what he could.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#5 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,839 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:11 PM

There will be a major interview with Martin Gleeson in the next edition of Rugby League World magazine, in the shops on Friday, in which he goes into detail about his suspension and other facets of his career.

#6 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:24 PM

He'll have changed a lot of opinions with that interview. I really like the show as well, I just wish it was on for longer. Nevertheless a top interview with a really decent chap!

#7 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:56 AM

Not a bad excuse, in my opinion.

It's a lot harder than you think to identify substances from the banned list. These products don't come with a big banner on them saying "Contains banned substance".

Most of the substances aren't illegal in themselves - just against the rules.

Which would you take - Day Nurse or Night Nurse ? One's banned, the other isn't.......

Of course players need advice from their support staff.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#8 ELBOWSEYE

ELBOWSEYE
  • Coach
  • 250 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:10 PM

As a wire cringe at the stick he gets, he was better than he gets credit for at wire. He probally has serious issues in his life and has wasted a god given talent despite winning silverware. Hope Wire fans watched the program to get a balanced view.

#9 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,879 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:39 PM

As a wire cringe at the stick he gets, he was better than he gets credit for at wire. He probally has serious issues in his life and has wasted a god given talent despite winning silverware. Hope Wire fans watched the program to get a balanced view.

hmm, always thought he was highly rated by wire fans. Certainly by me and all the Wire fans i know.

#10 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:03 PM

He'll have changed a lot of opinions with that interview. I really like the show as well, I just wish it was on for longer. Nevertheless a top interview with a really decent chap!

I've just watched it on SKY+.

I'm not ashamed to say it reduced me to tears as I can relate to some if what he talked about.

He gets my full respect for speaking honestly from the heart.

For me it captured some of the things that are unique to our game.

Good luck Martin with the remainder of your career.

#11 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

possibly the most emotional interview since the late great terry newton's with brian carney. mental health has been largely overlooked in sport for years but recent high profile cases have quite rightly thrust it into the spotlight.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#12 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:56 PM

possibly the most emotional interview since the late great terry newton's with brian carney. mental health has been largely overlooked in sport for years but recent high profile cases have quite rightly thrust it into the spotlight.

Yep. It takes a big man to open up like that

#13 ELBOWSEYE

ELBOWSEYE
  • Coach
  • 250 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:56 PM

The stick he gets at all matches against us shows that many disagree with the view you hold.

#14 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:27 PM

haven't seen this one before  it was pretty intense, although not much detail it wasn't needed gleeson was obviously very upset well done to him for coming on and saying it like it is.

Hung, drawn and quartered by many fans including forum members concerning the betting scandal. A lifetime ban was echoed by many. In hindsight, he just lost his way in life and paid the penalty. Good luck to him wherever life takes him.

Edited by Saint Billinge, 29 July 2013 - 08:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users