Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sheridan

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#61 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,084 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:14 PM

I like to think so.

i wish i could be like you

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#62 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:17 PM

I agree Richie. He was arguably the best scrum half since SL started. He will bring alot to our club I reckon.

I thought that appointments were made, following a proven track record.

#63 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,799 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:32 PM

i wish i could be like you

Ah - We're not all that lucky OR.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#64 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:42 PM

I thought that appointments were made, following a proven track record.

I agree bob but even if he only passes on a few of his skills to the likes of kainy, Finn and Ellis his appointment will of been justified for me. If he can improve our attack in anyway(which I think he could) it would be fantastic.Bob I might be a bit biased though as he's my fav ever SL player.

Edited by thundergaz, 01 August 2013 - 04:49 PM.

#65 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:15 PM

are you an inspirational figure griff ?

I think its spelt constipational

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#66 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,021 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:24 PM

:lol:
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#67 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,799 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:29 PM

:laugh: , although quite what the connection is, I don't know.

#68 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:16 PM

I cant think of anyone who knows more about the game and how to win trophies.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#69 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:28 AM

I cant think of anyone who knows more about the game and how to win trophies.

Unfortunately Terry this game, and many others, is littered with high quality players who failed to make it in the coaching world.

It also would seem he left Wigan under a bit of a cloud with his failure "to integrate into the disciplined and already high-performing culture at the Wigan club". I hope Tex's concern posted in the Tommy H thread doesn't come to fruition.

#70 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,084 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:00 AM

it may turn out that this is just what it says, till the end of the season. if it is, i think it will only benefit us. it has certainly put fev back in the news.

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#71 PonteBlue

PonteBlue
  • Coach
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:32 PM

Agree, all publicity is good publicity. I work with a Saint's fan who often said he kick started things during games which were a bit flat, or weren't going there way. Best attribute was his kicking game - one area we could improve.

We have the best pack in the league who make ground every set and put us in good attacking areas - hopefully with Sean's appointment we can unlock defences a bit more effectively when we get down field.

#72 febreze

febreze
  • Coach
  • 105 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:46 PM

why manager not coach?

#73 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,799 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:40 PM

why manager not coach?

Likes wearing a suit and tie ?

#74 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:16 AM

Unfortunately Terry this game, and many others, is littered with high quality players who failed to make it in the coaching world.

It also would seem he left Wigan under a bit of a cloud with his failure "to integrate into the disciplined and already high-performing culture at the Wigan club". I hope Tex's concern posted in the Tommy H thread doesn't come to fruition.

Long has a reputation of being a bit of a loose cannon I agree, but he's with us for a short period only and hopefully his 'on field' skills and success at the very pinnacle of the game will be of benefit in the run up to the GF.

John Bastion has had lengthy and successful periods at Leeds and Warrington discovering and nurturing the some of the best young talent in the country. I'd expect the culture and high standards within these leading clubs will have rubbed off and come as part of the package with John, including the identification of the necessary attributes of the right type of player for Featherstone Rovers. Knowing him as I do, I'm confident he won't suffer fools gladly.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#75 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:16 PM

I agree bob but even if he only passes on a few of his skills to the likes of kainy, Finn and Ellis his appointment will of been justified for me. If he can improve our attack in anyway(which I think he could) it would be fantastic.Bob I might be a bit biased though as he's my fav ever SL player.

Distinct improvement to your play when surrounded by top class players. Cannot complain about the effort of Ellis, Kainy and Finny.

#76 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:19 PM

Long has a reputation of being a bit of a loose cannon I agree, but he's with us for a short period only and hopefully his 'on field' skills and success at the very pinnacle of the game will be of benefit in the run up to the GF.

John Bastion has had lengthy and successful periods at Leeds and Warrington discovering and nurturing the some of the best young talent in the country. I'd expect the culture and high standards within these leading clubs will have rubbed off and come as part of the package with John, including the identification of the necessary attributes of the right type of player for Featherstone Rovers. Knowing him as I do, I'm confident he won't suffer fools gladly.

Statement in saturdays press, Terry, stating that he could "be slotted in" at season end. He will not be coming for peanuts.

#77 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:33 PM

Sorry Terry but his appointment worries me. My own view is after seeing some of the quotes around is that someone thinks that a 'name' will bring instant success. As I said before it seldom works out that way, and as Bob points out above, it won't be costing peanuts.

It'll be interesting to see how things pan out as we already had someone with high standards regarding attitude and type of player needed at Rovers. I also think that there's a huge difference between nurturing young players and coaching a 1st team squad.

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep, 03 August 2013 - 06:36 PM.

#78 dydo

dydo
  • Coach
  • 724 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:49 PM

What worries me is all the negativity , before anyones had a chance , hope longy stays with bastion would be a brilliant combination in my opinion.

#79 frankj

frankj
  • Coach
  • 406 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:43 PM

I guess the post's on this thread just go to show you cannot please everyone. I seem to recall the DP had his doubters when he first came - he had no track record to speak of. As we did with DP, let's give the guy a chance. And why should Mr Long's salary concern anyone but the BOD.

#80 dydo

dydo
  • Coach
  • 724 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:04 PM

I guess the post's on this thread just go to show you cannot please everyone. I seem to recall the DP had his doubters when he first came - he had no track record to speak of. As we did with DP, let's give the guy a chance. And why should Mr Long's salary concern anyone but the BOD.

Exactly , well said

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users