TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Featherstone

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#41 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

That has made me as happy as when we beat them in the cup (10 years ago?).

Yes, that 2003 Challenge Cup victory over Rovers at Moor Lane was a splendid result.

But that win must surely be overshadowed by the superhuman effort at Post Office Road in the Cup 2nd round in 1965 when over 8,000 saw workaholic prop forward Ken Halliwell touchdown for the day's only try as the Lions really lived up to their names by heading westwards over the Pennines carrying Fev's cup scalp after a hard-fought, dour 9-2 win. A Lancashire side taking the spoils at P.O.R. wasn't supposed to be in the script as no team had won there in the Challenge Cup since the mid-'50s (according to The Lions of Swinton). That day the locals were certainly "partisan" as Steve Wild says in his epic labour-of-love The Lions of Swinton. So much so that you could feel the aggression vented towards anyone with a blue-and-white scarf AND a smile on their face. Talk about running the gauntlet as we made our way to the coaches in the car park.

:rtfm: 

#42 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:45 PM

You got your excuses right yes mate
Consider our off field and on field strife compared to yours
Your lot are in clover compared to our boys
We have been your bogey team many times before. Today was a hard earned win and the score could've been even more convincing in Swinton favour

#43 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:54 PM

Yes, that 2003 Challenge Cup victory over Rovers at Moor Lane was a splendid result.
But that win must surely be overshadowed by the superhuman effort at Post Office Road in the Cup 2nd round in 1965 when over 8,000 saw workaholic prop forward Ken Halliwell touchdown for the day's only try as the Lions really lived up to their names by heading westwards over the Pennines carrying Fev's cup scalp after a hard-fought, dour 9-2 win. A Lancashire side taking the spoils at P.O.R. wasn't supposed to be in the script as no team had won there in the Challenge Cup since the mid-'50s (according to The Lions of Swinton). That day the locals were certainly "partisan" as Steve Wild says in his epic labour-of-love The Lions of Swinton. So much so that you could feel the aggression vented towards anyone with a blue-and-white scarf AND a smile on their face. Talk about running the gauntlet as we made our way to the coaches in the car park.

:rtfm:

And who can forget our play off victory in 2006 with lee marsh kris smith and daz woods playing blinders?

#44 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:02 PM

You got your excuses right yes mate
Consider our off field and on field strife compared to yours
Your lot are in clover compared to our boys
We have been your bogey team many times before. Today was a hard earned win and the score could've been even more convincing in Swinton favour

Completely agree - just dont waste the olive branch youve earned next week

#45 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:05 PM

A brilliant effort from the lads today. The defence was unbelievable, proved by the fact that we've just kept Fev to 10 points, the least they've conceded all season. We're not down yet folk's!

We've dragged ourselves back into it with grit and determination today. Kev Penny was my MOM. I think they picked him out as a weak link but he stepped up to the plate every time a question was asked of him. Williams had his best game for us and Richie, Smithy, mills, Dwyer, all 17 were immense.

We need to kick on now, first of all with Leigh next week! Come on Lions!!!

#46 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 947 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:19 PM

I was also glad to see Tyrone McCarthy back in a Swinton shirt, quite surprising really as I'd been reliably informed that Tony Smith would 'beplaying him at Warrington over the next couple of weeks'!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#47 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:19 PM

You put up a great performance up against us last season and were unlucky to lose; No-one can be taken for granted just ask York and Donny;

Now believe...Well played Swinton; you were much better than the score suggested; (Fev fan)

#48 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:46 PM

I was also glad to see Tyrone McCarthy back in a Swinton shirt, quite surprising really as I'd been reliably informed that Tony Smith would 'beplaying him at Warrington over the next couple of weeks'!

Im watching him now on BBC..aren't you?

#49 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 947 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:09 PM

That's wrong twice in a row. Standards are slipping!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#50 Colin James

Colin James
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:20 PM

Well done to today's team and the coaches! Fantastic result, hopefully the start of some good form.

#51 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 386 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:24 PM

Great performance today - a full 80 mins and as others have said if a few more decisions had gone our way the score would have been greater. I think the ref was poor for both sides as was inconsistent through out. I think also Penny was fantastic, he caught all the high balls and has got to be the stand out winger in this league..............I would not be surprised in several teams come knocking on the door for him next season.

It was fitting to beat Featherstone today - 50 years on from winning the league.

#52 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:22 PM

As someone has stated this win will mean nothing if we don't escape the drop! Wins against York and Barrow might just be enough now.

#53 parky

parky
  • Coach
  • 283 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:28 PM

If we had lost today which I fullly expected I am sure the coach would have resigned/sacked. In fairness following todays performance even I consider he should see the season out. We fully deserved to win by a greater margin.Why on three occasions we were denied advantage, no was reason given. Several Rovers fans agreed we were the better team. They said Sean Long is in charge for a couple of weeks until John Bastion takes over. 17 MOM today..

#54 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 644 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:56 PM

Epic performance , and I'm very proud as a Swinton fan tonight!. The tackling was magnificent. All 17 played their part, but just thought Smithy was inspirational. Brilliant . Well played lads.

#55 dummy scissors

dummy scissors
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:56 PM

At last a performance to really savour from the Lions.  Superb defence, commitment and determination from all the players from beginning to end and a brace of fine tries. Really hard to pick a man of the match after such a good team display, perhaps Penny by a whisker.  Well done to all involved and please don't let it be a one match wonder. 

#56 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:50 PM

Penny has been one of the best signings we've made in recent years.

#57 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:45 PM

Epic performance , and I'm very proud as a Swinton fan tonight!. The tackling was magnificent. All 17 played their part, but just thought Smithy was inspirational. Brilliant . Well played lads.

Agree totally Steve, his kicking in the first half was the s6tepping stone to our win continually pegging them back.

Great effort from all the team and today that's what we looked like a team. Also very proud to be a Lions fan tonight.

#58 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:05 AM

Smithy is our inspiration especially without Watto. When he goes off the structure of the team goes too. So disappointed in Dwyer. The lad tries so hard but he seems to have lost his mojo and his distribution from acting half back is woeful. 

#59 dummy scissors

dummy scissors
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:05 AM

Smithy is our inspiration especially without Watto. When he goes off the structure of the team goes too. So disappointed in Dwyer. The lad tries so hard but he seems to have lost his mojo and his distribution from acting half back is woeful. 

As I have felt all season, Mark Smith should be playing the full 80 minutes as is his stated preference. He has shown time and again how important he is to the organisation of the team on the field.

#60 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:14 AM

As I have felt all season, Mark Smith should be playing the full 80 minutes as is his stated preference. He has shown time and again how important he is to the organisation of the team on the field.

Mark is indeed, an excellent 'pack leader'. Every team needs one. Clever, sharp footballing brain and good ball handling skills are his stock in trade. Off the field, he's sorely missed. One of the best signings in recent years without doubt.

:sungum:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users