Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

How good could the World Cup have been?

With a bit more faith

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:14 PM

Despite everything that is going on in the doom centre that is RL, the World Cup seems to be quietly doing very well.

A few months ago some on here were talking about 20k at Cardiff, one man and his dog at places like Bristol and Rochdale. Now it is can we get close to selling out Cardiff, which venue will sell out first etc.

To me, it seems that the organisers were so scared of a repeat of 2000 that it has had a very cautious approach to promoting the tournament over the last few months. The choices of Neath for a Wales WC match for example. 

From what I have witnessed this WC will be the best attended ever and we will see crowds of 50-60k at Cardiff and 60-70k Wembley and a sold out Old Trafford. Obviously, this could be so much better with a more bolder approach to the wider public.

I am also a bit disappointed at the response to games at Warrington and St Helens so far. The WC organisers should think these venues will sell themselves.

You only get one chance to follow something like the Olympics.

#2 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 649 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:28 PM

A few months ago some on here were talking about 20k at Cardiff, one man and his dog at places like Bristol and Rochdale. 

The exact reason why we went to smaller venues.

Once again the outstanding vocal negativity of "RL fans" puts the skids on RL realising its potential.

I'd like to think lessons will be learnt by some fans.  But they won't

*sigh*

#3 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,278 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:33 PM

I'm very impressed with what I've seen happening for this World Cup.  I love the way that Fiji and Rochdale have connected for example.  I'm quietly confident it's going to be a success in spite of a rather predictable Australia v New Zealand final at the end.

As for what could have been done better?  I'm struggling to think.  We don't have huge budgets to do everything we want to do but the promotion and ideas behind that promotion has, I think, been sound.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#4 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

Whilst you have a good point Scubby, the potential still remains for this to be a very good and successful WC. Whereas in 2000 we were simply told everything was going swimmingly in Jason Harbarrows diary every week in TRL, this time there seems to be concrete proof that things are going fairly well.

Lets hope it does even better in the upcoming months though.

#5 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 480 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:24 PM

I have my tickets

#6 nathanwood7

nathanwood7
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:28 PM

With three months still to go before the first game of the tournament, the RLWC looks set to be without doubt the biggest and best ever held

The first match at Cardiff is looking increasingly like it might be played in front of a full house with the website now showing that all £40 tickets are now more or less sold out, whilst the semis and final are also clearly selling very well too. To put this in to context, I was present at the rain at Twickenham in 2000 where the total crowd was less than has already been sold for the opening game this time.

The matches at the likes of Hull, Warrington, St Helens, etc will sell a lot of tickets nearer to the time and as we start seeing the first few "sold out" signs at the likes of Rochdale and Workington, the momentum of the event will pick up a notch.

Personally I can't wait. I've got tickets for matches at Warrington, Cardiff, Limerick, London, Old Trafford and Huddersfield and would love to be going to even more if I could. The fact that England has it's best team in 20 years with the likes of Tomkins, Burgess, Graham and Widdop should ensure we have a decent outside chance, and matches such as PNG v France and NZ v Samoa should be absolute corkers!

#7 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:34 PM

With three months still to go before the first game of the tournament, the RLWC looks set to be without doubt the biggest and best ever held

The first match at Cardiff is looking increasingly like it might be played in front of a full house with the website now showing that all £40 tickets are now more or less sold out, whilst the semis and final are also clearly selling very well too. To put this in to context, I was present at the rain at Twickenham in 2000 where the total crowd was less than has already been sold for the opening game this time.

The matches at the likes of Hull, Warrington, St Helens, etc will sell a lot of tickets nearer to the time and as we start seeing the first few "sold out" signs at the likes of Rochdale and Workington, the momentum of the event will pick up a notch.

Personally I can't wait. I've got tickets for matches at Warrington, Cardiff, Limerick, London, Old Trafford and Huddersfield and would love to be going to even more if I could. The fact that England has it's best team in 20 years with the likes of Tomkins, Burgess, Graham and Widdop should ensure we have a decent outside chance, and matches such as PNG v France and NZ v Samoa should be absolute corkers!

This is exactly the type of thing I am talking about. Decent crowds no longer seem a speculation as it is easy to see many blocks sold out for certain games. This is really where we could have been 6 months ago had the organisers had a little more faith and put a little bit more funding behind it. Saints, Wire, Leeds, Hull fans will not get off their backsides until the last minute if they think they can just walk up. If we were seeing sold-out signs at some venues in April the knock on effect would have been massive and it would be a much healthier package to put to broadcasters.

Edited by Scubby, 26 July 2013 - 01:34 PM.

#8 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:36 PM

I'm getting my Cardiff tickets on Wednesday next week (pay day). I might as well get my Craven Park, Limerick and Old Trafford tickets at the same time.

#9 nathanwood7

nathanwood7
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:42 PM

It's a bit simplistic to say "we could have sold out 6 months ago if we'd put funding behind it". What exactly does this mean? Funding what? Exactly which bits would you have done differently?

To me it seems the RFL have done a decent job at promotion through things such as utilising social media, the trophy tour, engaging local organisations to work on its behalf (e.g. Bristol Rovers FC, Munster RUFC, Cardiff Council etc). The avenues that haven't been pursued are things like TV advertising, which would never prove cost effective (hence rarely being used to sell sporting events of any kind).

#10 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:53 AM

i was thinking the WC would be a dud but I am starting to change my mind.

#11 nathanwood7

nathanwood7
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:20 PM

Per this pretty good article in the Guardian they have been over 40,000 tickets sold for the final at Old Trafford. This is incredible in comparison to the final in 2005 when around this number were sold in total (less when you consider several thousand were given away free by the Manchester Evening News in the days leading up to the match).

http://www.theguardi...d-cup-best-side

#12 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:55 PM

There are certainly a lot of good noises coming out about the World Cup this time around.

However...I'm too long in the tooth to believe that it will transfer into a successful tournament. 2000 was greatly talked up, I remember quotes in the press about the game in Belfast hoping for 20,000. I even remember them talking about hoping to sell out the tournament from the quarters onwards!

2008 although more successful was still hopeful of better crowds than it got and many messageboards talked up how many had been sold almost for all to come in comfortably under the estimates. 36,000 for England in Melbourne sounds good but there was talk about how it was going to be nearly 50k.

#13 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:01 PM

Cant wait for the opener in Cardiff, 2 nights in a Cardiff centre hotel, several coaches going from St Helens.

Still most of my mates are Saints supporters not Rugby League supporters.

#14 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,311 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:08 PM

Ah! faith, eh?  Believing in something is not quiet the same as a well-founded business plan.. A little more funding?  How does that work? Dunno about this  but maybe, just maybe , the RFL have no more resources available and indeed they may think , quite rightly, that they have done a really good job, so far.  The law of diminishing returns applies, I feel sure, which implies that at this stage , it will need a huge extra push to get an incremental improvement. 

#15 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,311 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:10 PM

Cant wait for the opener in Cardiff, 2 nights in a Cardiff centre hotel, several coaches going from St Helens.

Still most of my mates are Saints supporters not Rugby League supporters.

The should think of it as a chance to see some rugby league for a change, then.  :lol:

#16 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,089 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:13 PM

There are certainly a lot of good noises coming out about the World Cup this time around.

However...I'm too long in the tooth to believe that it will transfer into a successful tournament. 2000 was greatly talked up, I remember quotes in the press about the game in Belfast hoping for 20,000. I even remember them talking about hoping to sell out the tournament from the quarters onwards!

2008 although more successful was still hopeful of better crowds than it got and many messageboards talked up how many had been sold almost for all to come in comfortably under the estimates. 36,000 for England in Melbourne sounds good but there was talk about how it was going to be nearly 50k.

Whilst I agree with you to an extent and share some of your nervousness, I think your memory may be playing tricks about the 20k at Belfast - the stadium didn't even hold that many. I also don't remember the kind of sellout talk that you do.

The 2008 tournament did have the same issue as you say, the semis apparently were a sellout well before the games, despite ending up with almost 60 empty seats over the 2 games.

#17 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:24 PM

Whilst I agree with you to an extent and share some of your nervousness, I think your memory may be playing tricks about the 20k at Belfast - the stadium didn't even hold that many. I also don't remember the kind of sellout talk that you do.

The 2008 tournament did have the same issue as you say, the semis apparently were a sellout well before the games, despite ending up with almost 60 empty seats over the 2 games.

I'll settle for 60 empty seats at Wembley Dave.

rldfsignature.jpg

#18 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:45 PM

Bloke from the YEP was claiming on Twitter the other day (somebody retweeted, I don't follow) that only 10k tickets had been sold for the opener.

People called Romans they go the house

#19 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:50 PM

Bloke from the YEP was claiming on Twitter the other day (somebody retweeted, I don't follow) that only 10k tickets had been sold for the opener.

Is he right though?
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#20 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,089 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:57 PM

I'll settle for 60 empty seats at Wembley Dave.

woops! :biggrin: