With a bit more faith

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,601 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:10 PM

For me, the important bit is the progressive build up in the three weeks preceding the opening in Cardiff.  In my view that is when the presently uncommitted fans will get interested and when  those outside the game will really start to sit up and take notice.

It's as if those of us who have bought and paid for our tickets already are paying for and  laying the foundation on which to build the final push for ticket sales.

#42 Mick Carroll

Mick Carroll
  • Facebook
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:38 PM

I've just realised its my mum and dads wedding anniversary the same week as the opening games so that might be their present sorted if I can find a coach trip going from the leeds area..... Obviously ill have to go with them too !!

#43 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:05 PM

I bet the prices have been bumped up too.

The prices are shooting up in the remaining rooms that are left, a "special events" rate is now applying in most hotels with rooms left.

Booking.com have 45 out of 73 hotels full, with limited rooms available in those hotels with rooms left, and at silly prices.

The Booking.com web site are warning of a major booking hot spot for that weekend, and are advising people to book other dates for Cardiff as they will be much cheaper.

#44 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:16 PM

The prices are shooting up in the remaining rooms that are left, a "special events" rate is now applying in most hotels with rooms left.
Booking.com have 45 out of 73 hotels full, with limited rooms available in those hotels with rooms left, and at silly prices.
The Booking.com web site are warning of a major booking hot spot for that weekend, and are advising people to book other dates for Cardiff as they will be much cheaper.

We ended up booking a hotel half an hour away from Cardiff on the train.

rldfsignature.jpg

#45 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,048 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:16 AM

We ended up booking a hotel half an hour away from Cardiff on the train.

Me too. Ended up at the airport due to prices. Some of my group have had to stay in Llantrisant and Bridgend as there wasn't enough space at the airport for us all.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#46 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:51 AM

The games that will be remembered are opening ceremony, Wembley semi's and the final at OT.

If 40k have been sold for OT then if England get there many will not get a ticket. If we hit 50k at Cardiff with an England win then the comp takes off and the final will be sold out the following week

#47 Mick Carroll

Mick Carroll
  • Facebook
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:29 AM

Just over 41,00 watched the opener to the 1995 World Cup if we can get that at Cardiff I would be over the moon that would be a great start to the World Cup

#48 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

look at some of the prices being quoted, and the amount of rooms left.

http://www.booking.c...est_id=-2591777

#49 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,048 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:09 PM

Hotels outside of Cardiff, Premier Inn at Llantrisant still has rooms available:

http://www.premierin...LLA/llantrisant

They are about £70 and 15mins away on the train from Cardiff.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#50 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,063 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:22 PM

We can all do our bit for the world cup is by sending emails to to all our email contacts. Post messages on facebook and make sure all our family members and work colleague's are made aware its world cup year and throw in the starting date etc.

#51 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,048 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:24 PM

Just over 41,00 watched the opener to the 1995 World Cup if we can get that at Cardiff I would be over the moon that would be a great start to the World Cup

I reckon we'll smash that with a crowd between 50-60,000.

#52 Mick Carroll

Mick Carroll
  • Facebook
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:41 PM

If we can start off with a record crowd for an opening rlwc game it could be billed to the press strait away as record breaking World Cup which if marketed right would go on to bringing sponsorship back to the game, international success has that kind of effect in my opinion !!

#53 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:11 PM

am I imagining this but wasn't there monster trucks/cars at the 95' wembley opening ceremony?

#54 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:16 PM

I reckon we'll smash that with a crowd between 50-60,000.

That would be awesome, not sure if they've been approached but former league and union welsh legends Gareth Thomas, Jonathan Davies, Scott Gibbs/quinnell etc could help with the promotion of the double header you'd think?

#55 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:20 PM

I've not got my tickets yet, neither have my family.  

I will be going, but the total expenditure will be worked out closer to the time when I know how much I can afford to spend. There will be a lot of fans at the moment in this quandry from the top 8 sides.  

Anyone in the top 8 can have a chance of reaching the GF and whilst that lasts, those fans are going to be holding fire on how much to spend on the WC.

I can see me going to the games at Saints, maybe a semi and final. However a GF appearance may knock  a semifinal or a Saints game on the head.

Money is tight so spending in advance is not realistic especially with holiday spending money yet to be decided etc.

I'm pretty confident that the WC will be a great event and if I miss out due not to being able to pre-purchase, then as disappointed as I will be for me, I will be more than pleased for RL.

Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

#56 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,686 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:13 PM

am I imagining this but wasn't there monster trucks/cars at the 95' wembley opening ceremony?

I don't think so. 

The opening ceremony was genuinely dire. It seemed they blew all their budget on Diana Ross and the rest was just two dancers dressed in white t-shirt and shorts carrying a flag of each country.

It was genuinely dire. The final was a bit better, but not much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users