Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

What's happening with Swintons 'new' ground?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:02 PM

Warrington have money and Swinton are their A team or maybe the management of the Leigh sports village can assist their tenant. Maybe Dr Koukash has a brother.

On a serious note though, I hope they survive. Manchester is big enough for several RL clubs of only they could get back there.

Salford is not Manchester. They are completely separate places miles from each other.............. :)
Posted Image

Posted Image

#22 mmp

mmp
  • Coach
  • 382 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:38 PM

Salford is not Manchester. They are completely separate places miles from each other.............. :)

To be fair, they are a (narrow) river width apart...but the point is the same, defferent places...
In Bury or North Manchester? Interested in Rugby League? Check out the Rugby League in Bury web-site: http://www.pitchero....bs/burybroncos/

#23 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,361 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:55 PM

To be fair, they are a (narrow) river width apart...but the point is the same, different places...

I don't think so. As far as Dr. Koukash and his marketing team is concerned Salford, Swinton, Oldham and Manchester inside the M60 and every sattelite town along the outer edge of the M60 will most definitely be "Salford territory" as far as the Salford Reds marketing team are concerned. The game needs a strong Salford feeding off this area.

#24 mmp

mmp
  • Coach
  • 382 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:05 PM

I don't think so. As far as Dr. Koukash and his marketing team is concerned Salford, Swinton, Oldham and Manchester inside the M60 and every sattelite town along the outer edge of the M60 will most definitely be "Salford territory" as far as the Salford Reds marketing team are concerned. The game needs a strong Salford feeding off this area.

As a Mancunian born, son of Salfordians, who is Chair of Bury Broncos, has a Salford Season ticket, but has taken hospitality tables at Swinton this year, I can assure you that all are different places...

doesnt mean Salford are wrong in targeting the wider area as a market for RL...they are the only SL team around, but their targeting will vary by the market they are looking to entice...
In Bury or North Manchester? Interested in Rugby League? Check out the Rugby League in Bury web-site: http://www.pitchero....bs/burybroncos/

#25 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,639 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:20 PM

Yeah, yeah like the city of London and greater London, but I take your point. I should have said the Manchester megapolis.

#26 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,639 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:24 PM

You were certain Manchester, including Salford, was a lost cause for RL and were suggesting that Manchester was in the catchment area of Wigan in the recent past. Along comes Dr Koukash as an investor, an investor you were certain did not exist, and hey presto, the leopard changed his spots.

#27 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:28 PM

I was reading an old article in League Express from the early 90s the other day. Leigh were in dire straights and a relocation to Station Road was a potential solution. How things change.

However, very little at Swinton seems to change, unfortunately. The club was managed like a shambles when the "stadium" was announced in the mid-noughties, and it probably isn't run much better now. False promise after false promise to some of the most exploited fans in the game, whose goodwill is taken for granted.

Nothing will change IMO until the current custodians of the club move on.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#28 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:14 AM

Now now jonty we all know you can say a bit more definitively than probably and possibly. ..

As for leigh? Not a lot changed there has it?

The whole of rugby league is an administrative shambles

Its neither new nor due to therecent economic downturn

Will Swinton get us die hards a new stadium?
I doubt it but heres to hope and positivity

#29 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:17 AM

Oh and I'm born in swinton. ...so I'm s swintonian then a mancunian or a lancastrian.....never ever a salfordian

#30 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,361 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:59 AM

You were certain Manchester, including Salford, was a lost cause for RL and were suggesting that Manchester was in the catchment area of Wigan in the recent past. Along comes Dr Koukash as an investor, an investor you were certain did not exist, and hey presto, the leopard changed his spots.

Not at all. Anecdotal evidence saw RL fans from Oldham and Manchester going to Wigan. A strong Salford will of course also compete for SL fans from the area. people want top class sport Salford weren't providing it.

#31 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,639 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:02 AM

Not at all. Anecdotal evidence saw RL fans from Oldham and Manchester going to Wigan. A strong Salford will of course also compete for SL fans from the area. people want top class sport Salford weren't providing it.

Well, it's looking likely Salford A, sorry I meant Oldham, could finally get promoted this year, so maybe a few will return to the fold. Wigan will be in big trouble.

#32 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 465 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:09 PM

All the Oldham fans of my acquaintance simply stopped going. Or died. And I hope for the regulars at Whitebank that the latter stopped going as well. 

I did hear tell of a couple of lads going watching St Helens and I suppose a few would have gone to Wigan or even, heaven forbid,over the hill to the delights of Huddersfield or,gasp,Leeds but they're definitely a small minority. Most just seem to have said "**** it". I cant see many buying into a new Super Salford

edit - oh,yes - this is about Swinton isnt it? I wondered the other day if the Swintonian,David Hughes ever felt he should have put £20M into Swinton rather than frittering it away on the Broncos. He would have seen a fair few more wins that's for sure.

Edited by Rascal Bongo Stork, 31 July 2013 - 04:12 PM.