Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sponsorship of the game

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:51 PM

Many posters on these forums like to go on about how it's a farce that there is no SL sponsor.

What I'd like to ask is what would be "in it" for a potential sponsor of the game. So go on, let's have some positivity and explain why rugby league is brilliant a d why sponsors should be clamouring to throw money at our game.

#2 Vasile Andreica

Vasile Andreica
  • Facebook
  • 75 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:54 AM

Share the unique features and challenges of the game: the fairness implied in the 6-tackle rule, the elegance of the PTB, the fitness and skill of the players, the 40-20s (really a thing of its own, for all forms of football), everything that makes the game itself worth watching.

The club and league politics happen in all sports. Focus on the on-field action.

#3 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:56 AM

Edited, I was being negative.

Edited by AndyCapp, 27 July 2013 - 06:57 AM.

#4 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:36 AM

The fact the audience is made up of better mix men, women and children than any other sport in the UK.

Sort out the international game and sponsorship won't be an problem.

#5 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,086 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:22 AM

Pure numbers should really be enough for a sponsor. Decent viewing figures, decent crowds, big events like the Grand Final and Magic Weekend, decent customer profile.

You can then work on the emotive things like the principles which RL have that many companies like - teamwork, passion, commitment, honesty etc.

The players and trophies etc are accessible.

The game has plenty of sponsorship space - happy to put your name on the pitch, the ref, the posts etc.

Plenty of nice stadiums with good hospitality.

One main challenge is that the game has little presence in London, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Birmingham, Cardiff, Belfast, Dublin, Paris etc.

#6 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:12 AM

Share the unique features and challenges of the game: the fairness implied in the 6-tackle rule, the elegance of the PTB, the fitness and skill of the players, the 40-20s (really a thing of its own, for all forms of football), everything that makes the game itself worth watching.

While I appreciate hey all help make the game, I see them more as reasons to watch than reasons to sponsor.

I think Mark and Dave have some good points.

Another interesting thought would be look at major sponsors of other sports and think what we could offer them. Why do they sponsor football, union, cricket, darts, athletics or whatever?

#7 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:30 AM

The fact the audience is made up of better mix men, women and children than any other sport in the UK.

Interesting opening statement. Where can we find the stats to back up that 'fact'? After all, a potential sponsor would want to see that kind of informed data.
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#8 Vasile Andreica

Vasile Andreica
  • Facebook
  • 75 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:49 AM

Pure numbers should really be enough for a sponsor. Decent viewing figures, decent crowds, big events like the Grand Final and Magic Weekend, decent customer profile.

You can then work on the emotive things like the principles which RL have that many companies like - teamwork, passion, commitment, honesty etc.

The players and trophies etc are accessible.

The game has plenty of sponsorship space - happy to put your name on the pitch, the ref, the posts etc.

Plenty of nice stadiums with good hospitality.

One main challenge is that the game has little presence in London, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Birmingham, Cardiff, Belfast, Dublin, Paris etc.

Nice points. More reasons to look at how the NRL became the big thing down under.

#9 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,040 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:03 AM

That is a bold claim.
Fides invicta triumphat

#10 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,921 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:04 AM

The club and league politics happen in all sports. Focus on the on-field action.

I don't think that would matter much to a sponsor, otherwise the community game would get loads more sponsorship.
Posted Image

#11 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:05 AM

Nice points. More reasons to look at how the NRL became the big thing down under.

A huge presence in the biggest city in the country certainly helped the NRL. Imagine how big RL in the UK would be if it was the biggest game in London?

rldfsignature.jpg

#12 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:23 AM

Report on the BBC rolling news the other day on about sponsorship since the Olympics ended, athletics along with sailing and a couple more sports, cant get sponsors, also individual athletes are looking for an income because sponsorship money is running out.

Seems sponsors were throwing money at Olympic athletes and sports prior to the games, not anymore.

#13 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:26 AM

International Rugby League must be king, to help bring in sponsors.

#14 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

Report on the BBC rolling news the other day on about sponsorship since the Olympics ended, athletics along with sailing and a couple more sports, cant get sponsors, also individual athletes are looking for an income because sponsorship money is running out.

Seems sponsors were throwing money at Olympic athletes and sports prior to the games, not anymore.

Yeah, I was watching the athletics a few weeks ago, Mo Farah was running and several other olympians, so it was a pretty decent affair. One of the competitors, I think it was the long jumper who won gold or silver last year (could be wrong but it was definitely someone who won a medal at the Olympics) and they were saying in the commentary that he had had to buy his own trainers because of no sponsorship. So its not just RL by any means

#15 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:07 PM

Athletics is a funny one though. It seems  to me that people are only interested every now and then. That isn't as appealing to a sponsor as a sport that is on tv two or three times a week for 8 months of the year

#16 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,086 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

While I appreciate hey all help make the game, I see them more as reasons to watch than reasons to sponsor.

I think Mark and Dave have some good points.

Another interesting thought would be look at major sponsors of other sports and think what we could offer them. Why do they sponsor football, union, cricket, darts, athletics or whatever?

the sports above all have a wider geographical spread than RL at the top levels, whether that is elite club level or internationals.

#17 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:40 PM

the sports above all have a wider geographical spread than RL at the top levels, whether that is elite club level or internationals.

Darts?!

Also do you mean international spread or within the UK? There are several sponsors that mainly/only have a UK presence across most of those sports.

#18 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,086 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:47 PM

Darts?!

Also do you mean international spread or within the UK? There are several sponsors that mainly/only have a UK presence across most of those sports.

Darts has major events all over the country in the major cities, however I think we are in a better positiin sponsord wise than darts. As I was typing on my phone I couldnt be bothered editing.
I was referring to the UK, however the other major team sports mentioned have a wider international spread too.

#19 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:08 PM

Any sport can pick up sponsors if they can guarantee some level of exposure for the brands involved. Picking up sponsors for the money you want is a different matter altogether though.

We all know the RFL have a perceived value of sponsorship of the Superleague. Im sure we could pick up a decent brand as a sponsor quite easily, but it wouldn't be at the perceived value the RFL have for the comp. For that the RFL only have themselves to blame because of the Stobart fiasco.

As people have mentioned, the values associated with rugby league would suit so many brands and potential sponsors out there, but its probably just a case of those brands not feeling they are going to get they value for money they want with what the RFL are asking.

in this respect you have two options, you target brands you feel could help increase exposure for SL, for less money, or you hold out for what you perceive to be the value of naming rights/sponsorship for SL.

If you went for the first option you'd do so with the intention of forming a close bond with the brand and doing your utmost to push their brand over the course of the sponsorship term, and hopefully as the partnership grows and exposure of both the brand and SL increases due to the relationship, you'd then see the value of SL sponsorship grow and be able to sign further sponsorship agreements for increased values.

It will be very very difficult for the RFL to secure title sponsors for SL for the type of money they want. they have to bit the bullet and take a bit less and look to build the value back up.

Edited by EastLondonMike, 27 July 2013 - 03:10 PM.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#20 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,086 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:31 PM

Any sport can pick up sponsors if they can guarantee some level of exposure for the brands involved. Picking up sponsors for the money you want is a different matter altogether though.

We all know the RFL have a perceived value of sponsorship of the Superleague. Im sure we could pick up a decent brand as a sponsor quite easily, but it wouldn't be at the perceived value the RFL have for the comp. For that the RFL only have themselves to blame because of the Stobart fiasco.

As people have mentioned, the values associated with rugby league would suit so many brands and potential sponsors out there, but its probably just a case of those brands not feeling they are going to get they value for money they want with what the RFL are asking.

in this respect you have two options, you target brands you feel could help increase exposure for SL, for less money, or you hold out for what you perceive to be the value of naming rights/sponsorship for SL.

If you went for the first option you'd do so with the intention of forming a close bond with the brand and doing your utmost to push their brand over the course of the sponsorship term, and hopefully as the partnership grows and exposure of both the brand and SL increases due to the relationship, you'd then see the value of SL sponsorship grow and be able to sign further sponsorship agreements for increased values.

It will be very very difficult for the RFL to secure title sponsors for SL for the type of money they want. they have to bit the bullet and take a bit less and look to build the value back up.

i agree with much of it but blaming the rfl seems too simplistic to me.

They went with the Stobart deal as there was no other great deal on the table.

They never sold the Challenge Cup short yet apparently the Tetleys deal deal is worth much less than previous deals.

Also, people seem to think the Rfl gave the rights for free, they didnt.