Sponsorship of the game

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 WelshpoolMarauder

WelshpoolMarauder
  • Coach
  • 507 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:03 PM

While I appreciate hey all help make the game, I see them more as reasons to watch than reasons to sponsor.

I think Mark and Dave have some good points.

Another interesting thought would be look at major sponsors of other sports and think what we could offer them. Why do they sponsor football, union, cricket, darts, athletics or whatever?

For some sponsors, the nature of the game they're sponsoring matters a great deal - they want it to fit with their own corporate identity.

For me, Rugby League should be a perfect fit for an awful lot of companies - it's a team sport, and places value on both working as a team and individual endeavour. It takes hard work, courage and discipline to be successful. It is, at least in theory, a meritocracy, where the best players will rise to the top if they put the effort in.

It's mystifying that the game can't get bigger sponsors really, all the pieces are there.

One thing the game does need to look at, or at least the top clubs, is the sort of day out you can offer sponsors. In an ideal world, everyone would know all about the game and be devoted fans, but realistically, being able to put on a good corporate jolly is a big part of getting sponsors. You can't rely on the game itself to be the whole show for non-fans, because you can't guarantee a good game. Good food and drink can go an awful long way to helping prise open the cheque book again come the next season.

#22 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 720 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:30 PM

Brand exposure in the English and French speaking worlds which could lead to greater sales in two key regions the EU and Asia Pacific. This could be attractive to say a Chinese corporation.

It is a sport that possesses honesty and integrity which could be of great importance to companies which may have had negative experiences with corruption and cheating in soccer, cricket, Formula 1, cycling, athletics, or who sponsored Tiger Woods or Lance Armstrong.

The game relies heavily on teamwork, partnership or community, values that a global giant like HSBC uses as the base for all their advertising. Similarly a logistics company like UPS could conceivably be persuaded that a sport which combines great handling skills and speed would be a natural fit with their core business. A game that is family friendly should be a boon to advertisers, because you can target several generations at the same time.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#23 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:43 PM

im not usually the type to lump everything on the RFL but in this instance i do think they made a rod for their own back.

The betfair offer would have been much better for the game. Forget about the monetary side of the deal, just in an association with a brand that engaged with the RFL's most traditional target audience, and a brand that you would have thought would really push the association with RL.

Richard Lewis stance on sponsorship with a gambling company, while commendable, was a decision that was the wrong one for the game at the time.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#24 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:51 PM

Stagg Chili – Dynamite Hot Chili Con Carne.
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#25 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:22 AM

If people are worried about sponsorship now what exactly do they think is going to happen when the comp loses the London and/or French clubs?

Want to know why third tier comps in Aus like soccer, netball, etc have no probs with sponsors but a multi-national comp like SL does? Have a look at the way they treat expansion and growing the game. SL admin make the old NSL look forward-thinking.

#26 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 299 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:31 AM

hundreds of hours of tv exposure every year. worldwide.

Though in my opinion, whats needed isnt a major sponsor, but a multi platform media partner and a say in both the production and broadcast times.

Ideal world i would have a cross station tv deal taking less overall money from the channels for increased exposure of the games. Regardless of the amount of teams (I have the opinion that the superleague should only be 10, with a cross conference into france), having 3 live games broadcast, 2 on sky, and 1 on the BBC or ITV, ideally both, with each network getting one every two weeks, plus one delayed for premier sports or sky, and the final game of the weekend broadcast outside the game district through the superleague website.

I think this would bring in far more sponsorship money than a title sponsor alone. 

But what do I know

#27 Vasile Andreica

Vasile Andreica
  • Facebook
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:11 AM

in all fairness, why not "Sky Super League"?

#28 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 299 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:30 AM

i was thinking more along the lines of vodafone or the like. providers of internet and mobile services, multinational, could sponsor across leagues (As with my thoughts for france), they would have potential to turn a decent share of the market to their services through league association, league would benefit through joint promotion of apps and exclusive content etc..

#29 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:32 AM

daves carpets of heckmondwyke are rumoured to be the next sponsors for super league..........seriously we need to raise the image of the game and get away from the parochial ideology which appears to be the mindset at red hall, why not court the likes of william hill, paddy power etc etc regardless that they are gambling companies....
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#30 Vasile Andreica

Vasile Andreica
  • Facebook
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:52 AM

If you go the gambling route, try Party (for the positive-minded) or Full Tilt (for the moaning crowd) :D

#31 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,877 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:00 PM

We have a gambling partner and a beer partner, FoxyBingo and Tetleys.

#32 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:34 PM

Looking at football, cricket and Union, they all have a lot of financial services companies.

Football: Aon, Aviva, Barclays, Capital One, Investec, Standard Chartered
Cricket: FriendsLife, LV, Yorkshire Bank
Union: Allianz, Amlin, Aviva, LV, RaboDirect

It'd be interesting to know if this type if company has been approached and if so what feedback if any was received. Some of these will have huge marketing budgets so they may well be worth an approach.

I think one of our biggest strengths is that we are the only regular weekly sport in the Summer with big TV audiences which gives companies year round exposure when coupled with football/union.

#33 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 900 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:32 PM

AS well as the exposure surely the key is matching the company/sponsoring brand to that of the sport.  So what exactly is rugby leagues brand, remembering that perception is reality.    In other words I don't think we have a clear and positive branding for our sport.

#34 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,163 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:33 PM

hmmmmm...Engage Super League?

#35 Vasile Andreica

Vasile Andreica
  • Facebook
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:29 AM

AS well as the exposure surely the key is matching the company/sponsoring brand to that of the sport.  So what exactly is rugby leagues brand, remembering that perception is reality.    In other words I don't think we have a clear and positive branding for our sport.

This is a good theme for another thread.

#36 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:47 AM

hmmmmm...Engage Super League?

Indeed, so we have got into that market but it'd be nice to be able to attract some of the bigger boys with their larger financial clout too.

Note that is an "it'd be nice" not "it's a farce that the RFL haven't" comment. I'm really just having a bit if a think out loud session here. Who knows? Some one may come up with something the RFL hadn't thought of and it get back to them and get used.

Also, more importantly I thought it'd be nice to have a chat about the great parts of rugby league and why everything should go well for once.

Edited by SE4Wire, 30 July 2013 - 06:50 AM.

#37 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:57 AM

For both superleague and the world cup a link up with a major national chain of gyms would be a good idea imo. Something i think would be a perfect fit for both parties involved. Someone like Fitness First named as official fitness/gym partner of SL/RLWC.

A collaboration between the two would reap benefits for all. If the RFL provided access to certain players for Fitness first to use in a promotional capacity (special work out plans/competitiosn/fitness challenges etc) and RL highlights (big hots and tries) were shown on the large TV's at all gyms (as well as the usual things that get shown on gym TVs) exposure of the game and the partnership would grow and grow. And theres plenty of other things that could be done between two such parties which would reap great rewards.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#38 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:11 AM

For both superleague and the world cup a link up with a major national chain of gyms would be a good idea imo. Something i think would be a perfect fit for both parties involved. Someone like Fitness First named as official fitness/gym partner of SL/RLWC.

A collaboration between the two would reap benefits for all. If the RFL provided access to certain players for Fitness first to use in a promotional capacity (special work out plans/competitiosn/fitness challenges etc) and RL highlights (big hots and tries) were shown on the large TV's at all gyms (as well as the usual things that get shown on gym TVs) exposure of the game and the partnership would grow and grow. And theres plenty of other things that could be done between two such parties which would reap great rewards.

I agree for superleague, but for the RLWC, shouldn't we be looking at companies that operate in at least most of the countries that are in the WC?

#39 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:31 AM

Depends, if the majority of the tickets being sold are in this country, and the purpose of a such a link up is to raise awareness in this country, it makes sense to partner with a National UK Chain.

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#40 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

Report on the BBC rolling news the other day on about sponsorship since the Olympics ended, athletics along with sailing and a couple more sports, cant get sponsors, also individual athletes are looking for an income because sponsorship money is running out.

Seems sponsors were throwing money at Olympic athletes and sports prior to the games, not anymore.

That's bad crack.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users