today and season long

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#41 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,877 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

I think that he could (and does) do a great job in either role.

I think so too, however I like the idea of him coming off the bench and giving the Aussies something to think about. The benefit of having him on the bench is that you can use him tactically. If we are on the back foot defending, keep him off a touch until we get a spell with the ball. By starting a player like this you can water down the effectiveness imho.

#42 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 392 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:51 AM

I think so too, however I like the idea of him coming off the bench and giving the Aussies something to think about. The benefit of having him on the bench is that you can use him tactically. If we are on the back foot defending, keep him off a touch until we get a spell with the ball. By starting a player like this you can water down the effectiveness imho.

It doesn't really matter if he starts or not as long as he's getting enough minutes. George and James Graham are our two best props, but both typically start on the bench for their club sides.

#43 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:58 AM

as has already been said eorl crabtree should be in the 17 he has tremendous presence and would be brilliant as an impact from the bench...
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#44 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,877 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:57 PM

It doesn't really matter if he starts or not as long as he's getting enough minutes. George and James Graham are our two best props, but both typically start on the bench for their club sides.

Well I think it does. Playing the first 20 minutes is quite different to playing the 2nd 20 minutes. George may not yet be up to starting a Test match, but I have no doubts he could come off the bench and do an excellent job.

I'd have a pack of:

Graham

Roby

Hill/Mossop

S Burgess

Westwood

O'Loughlin

Houghton/Lunt

Crabtree

G Burgess

Big pack to start with a couple of big lads off the bench, keep pounding and trying to tire them out. As solid as the likes of JJB, Wilkin and Farrell are, they are not going to wear the Aussies out or put them on their ass and hurt them.

#45 bluewhite10

bluewhite10
  • Workington
  • 286 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:51 PM

We all know the backrow will be Ellis willin JJB
bluewhitearmy

#46 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 645 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

Well I think it does. Playing the first 20 minutes is quite different to playing the 2nd 20 minutes. George may not yet be up to starting a Test match, but I have no doubts he could come off the bench and do an excellent job.

I'd have a pack of:

Graham

Roby

Hill/Mossop

S Burgess

Westwood

O'Loughlin

Houghton/Lunt

Crabtree

G Burgess

Big pack to start with a couple of big lads off the bench, keep pounding and trying to tire them out. As solid as the likes of JJB, Wilkin and Farrell are, they are not going to wear the Aussies out or put them on their ass and hurt them.

Im still not convinced about Hill - granted, i've not seen him play every game, but what I have seen he just seems a good prop, one of many we are lucky to have.

Personally in the 17 I would have;

S.Burgess, Roby, Graham

Ellis, Westwood

O'Loughlin

G.Burgess, E.Crabtree, Houghton,

And then one of

L.Burgess, T.Burgess (both dependent on form from here on), Hill, Lynch, Mossop, Carvell or Morley.

#47 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:23 PM

Graham has been a starting prop for most of this season. It's the best way to use him he's a grinder doesn't really have the game to have a big impact off the bench. George on the other hand is much more suited to coming off the bench and having a big impact. Even though he's been starting the last few weeks he would be better utilised for England off the bench.

#48 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:32 PM

nah...england looked fantastic in the 09 4nations with sinfield at hooker

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#49 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:42 PM

Im still not convinced about Hill - granted, i've not seen him play every game, but what I have seen he just seems a good prop, one of many we are lucky to have.

S.Burgess, Roby, Graham
Ellis, Westwood
O'Loughlin

And then one of

L.Burgess, T.Burgess (both dependent on form from here on), Hill, Lynch, Mossop, Carvell or Morley.

I would have Hill as starting prop think he's been good for a couple of years. Don't think Ellis has done enough to be considered yet and not 100% sure about Westwood. I would also say Roby needs to get some games and form under his belt before being picked.

#50 7723

• Coach
  • 620 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:42 PM

S.Burgess, Roby, Graham

Ellis, Westwood

O'Loughlin

And then one of

Is Roby even going to be fit for the World Cup? If not I would have McIllurom and Higham. On form Ellis doesn't deserve a spot imo.

Graham, McIllurom, Mossop

Westwood, S.Burgess

O'Loughlin

G. Burgess, Hill, Hock, Higham

#51 nathanwood7

nathanwood7
  • Coach
  • 159 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:02 PM

At this stage I would agree that Ellis should not be in the reckoning in the second row. He had a solid enough game yesterday without posing much of an attacking threat but needs to put a consistent run of good form together to be picked.

Houghton and Higham look to be the form hookers at the moment and I'd go with something like this in the pack:

Hill 

Houghton

Graham

Westwood

S. Burgess

O'Loughlin

G. Burgess

Mossop

Higham

#52 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,877 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:16 PM

I would have Hill as starting prop think he's been good for a couple of years. Don't think Ellis has done enough to be considered yet and not 100% sure about Westwood. I would also say Roby needs to get some games and form under his belt before being picked.

I think Westwood has done more than enough to justify selection for England, both for England and week in week out in the SL. Even him 'off form' is still a very high standard.

Hopefully Ellis has a strong finish to the season to put himself strongly in contention, but I'm more inclined to go with the big fast dynamic players rather than technically competent players.

#53 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:55 PM

It's all about balancing the pack out IMO which is the toughest job Steve McNamara has.

I really don't think we need Hill and Mossop in the side. Graham and Sam Burgess will be more than comfortable doing the graft and getting through the tackles needed and making consistent metres. I'm not saying they are bad players, but they won't make any breaks or dominate the collision often enough. If they play they'll likely match the Aussies and make similar metres to what Aus do and similar tackle success rates, but Cronk and Thurston will win the game for Australia.

I'd personally go:

James Graham

Shaun Lunt/Danny Houghton

Sam Burgess

Ben Westwood

Danny Kirmond

Sean O Loughlin

Rob Burrow

Eorl Crabtree

George Burgess

Gareth Hock

The pack starting would likely keep the game tight in the opening quarter. When we get to the 25 minute mark we should bring 3 of the subs on to try and make an impact. Burrow makes good metres running from dummy half. He will cause them problems which they aren't used to. George Burgess as people have said is proving unstoppable at the minute hence his inclusion whilst Crabtree has played well against the Aussies previously and has gotten better since. Regarding Hock if McNamara can't handle him I'd put Crabtree in at 10, Burgess into 13, O Loughlin into 12 remove Kirmond from the squad and insert Tom Burgess into the side.

Kirmond deserves a place in the squad based on his form over the last 18 months. If he was at a top four club /NRL club he'd of been selected IMO.

At the end of the day I think we need a pack which is going to punch holes in the Aussie defence. Their isn't much point in having a pack which will match the Aussies but not make any impact. We need to play the game differently to what Australia do. Australias pack does what it needs to do, it doesn't win them the game. The people wearing 6 7 9 and 1 do that for Australia. Our 6 7 9 and 1 aren't capable of winning the game which is a reality we have to face, so rather than selecting forward who will keep us in the game we need those who are going to win us it.

#54 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 392 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:33 PM

I think George Burgess's emergence has been my favourite thing to have happened in RL this year. I really can't wait to see him tearing into the Aussies at the WC.

#55 Fax1978

Fax1978
  • Coach
  • 571 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:12 PM

Have to agree, very few times have I seen a player make such an impact especially when so young, Sam is probably one of the only others. Barring injury he should without a doubt be in the eng 17 if not there is a serious issue with mc's selections policies.

I have watched every south's game this season and he has literally smashed those players the Aussie's will be pitting against us, Bird, Lewis, Thaliday, Watmough, Miles, Shillington, humiliated Scott and Tamoh even Gallen got bumped off once or twice.

Arguably one of best props in the world at the moment and definately the most entertaining forward to watch other than Sam.

#56 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:55 PM

It's all about balancing the pack out IMO which is the toughest job Steve McNamara has.

I really don't think we need Hill and Mossop in the side. Graham and Sam Burgess will be more than comfortable doing the graft and getting through the tackles needed and making consistent metres. I'm not saying they are bad players, but they won't make any breaks or dominate the collision often enough. If they play they'll likely match the Aussies and make similar metres to what Aus do and similar tackle success rates, but Cronk and Thurston will win the game for Australia.

I'd personally go:

James Graham
Sam Burgess
Ben Westwood
Danny Kirmond
Sean O Loughlin

Rob Burrow
Eorl Crabtree
George Burgess
Gareth Hock

The pack starting would likely keep the game tight in the opening quarter. When we get to the 25 minute mark we should bring 3 of the subs on to try and make an impact. Burrow makes good metres running from dummy half. He will cause them problems which they aren't used to. George Burgess as people have said is proving unstoppable at the minute hence his inclusion whilst Crabtree has played well against the Aussies previously and has gotten better since. Regarding Hock if McNamara can't handle him I'd put Crabtree in at 10, Burgess into 13, O Loughlin into 12 remove Kirmond from the squad and insert Tom Burgess into the side.

Kirmond deserves a place in the squad based on his form over the last 18 months. If he was at a top four club /NRL club he'd of been selected IMO.

At the end of the day I think we need a pack which is going to punch holes in the Aussie defence. Their isn't much point in having a pack which will match the Aussies but not make any impact. We need to play the game differently to what Australia do. Australias pack does what it needs to do, it doesn't win them the game. The people wearing 6 7 9 and 1 do that for Australia. Our 6 7 9 and 1 aren't capable of winning the game which is a reality we have to face, so rather than selecting forward who will keep us in the game we need those who are going to win us it.

Kirkmond on his form us a good shout but if we are picking players on form then Gareth Hock shouldn't even make the squad let alone the 17

I'd go

Hill
Roby
Graham
Westwood
S Burgess
O Loughlin

Subs

G Burgess Lunt Mossop Ellis

Impact from the forwards over the 80 minutes and two hookers who will attack the line rather than pass all game are essential
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#57 bar red

bar red
  • Coach
  • 114 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

Morley Roby Hill

JJB Ellis

Wilkin

Subs;  Ablett

Cockayne

Ferris

Burgess (Token NRL)

#58 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:31 AM

Morley Roby Hill

JJB Ellis

Wilkin

Subs;  Ablett

Cockayne

Ferris

Burgess (Token NRL)

:O   Don't do that. It's not funny and it's not improbable.

#59 faz'_nose

faz'_nose
  • Coach
  • 326 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:33 AM

I'd personally go:

James Graham
Sam Burgess
Ben Westwood
Danny Kirmond
Sean O Loughlin

Rob Burrow
Eorl Crabtree
George Burgess
Gareth Hock

Kirmond deserves a place in the squad based on his form over the last 18 months. If he was at a top four club /NRL club he'd of been selected IMO.

I agree with quite a few of your ideas. We're not going to 'out-spine' the Aussies. However, some NRL 'monsters' (Taylor, Kennedy etc.) are unlikely to be in Kangaroos squad so we can actually outsize them in the forwards. We could put all of our eggs in one basket so I might go:

Graham
Houghton (Roby, if fit)
Burgess G.
Westwood
Kirmond
Burgess S.

Bench

Crabtree
Burgess T.
O'Loughlin
(Undecided)

Edited by faz'_nose, 30 July 2013 - 11:34 AM.

#60 faz'_nose

faz'_nose
  • Coach
  • 326 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:40 AM

Morley Roby Hill
   JJB Ellis
    Wilkin

Subs;  Ablett
           Cockayne
           Ferris
           Burgess (Token NRL)

I don't think that I'd even bother to watch if that's, let's say, 70%+ accurate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users