Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

People younger than mid thirties

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 iangidds

iangidds
  • Coach
  • 339 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:00 PM

Could you do me a favour and have a look at cliff lyons try from the 1992 ashes series, I think the game was at old trafford (im that old i cant remember and i was there!) the try was scored around 70 mins into a pulsating game; to me these where brilliant days.
So do me a favour go have a look on youtube , make sure you see it from when steve roach drives the ball in; make sure i am not looking at this through rose tinted glasses! Because we discarded top quality international RL along time ago and no one will ever be able to tell me we cant make this happen again! Resurrecting the tours and real ashes series combined with a meaningful international calendar will in my opinion help drive the game forward once again.
Im ###### at links so if any one can set up a link that would be great!

#2 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,769 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:06 PM

We play the Aussies and Kiwis pretty much as much as ever so there are plenty of opportunities for top tries in Test rl and we often see them.

Edited by Dave T, 27 July 2013 - 05:07 PM.

#3 iangidds

iangidds
  • Coach
  • 339 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:11 PM

We play the Aussies and Kiwis pretty much as much as ever so there are plenty of opportunities for top tries in Test rl and we often see them.

But are seeing them in front of packed houses at old trafford, or not so full smaller stadia? Are these modern players as recognisable to the british public?

#4 iangidds

iangidds
  • Coach
  • 339 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:13 PM

Do we have thousands of Aussies travelling here on tour parties and us going there? Driving up the spectacle of the sport?

#5 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,769 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:16 PM

But are seeing them in front of packed houses at old trafford, or not so full smaller stadia? Are these modern players as recognisable to the british public?

weve done this to death. Crowds werent that brilliant years ago, they are getting better now.

Wouldnt you agree that the rfl have tried to tackle the above issues with the world cup?

Im looking forward to seeing us take on Australia at the Millenium Stadium as well as the Wembley double header and Old Trafford final.

I assume you'll be there supporting the international game become as big as you want it to be.

#6 iangidds

iangidds
  • Coach
  • 339 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:24 PM

weve done this to death. Crowds werent that brilliant years ago, they are getting better now.
Wouldnt you agree that the rfl have tried to tackle the above issues with the world cup?
Im looking forward to seeing us take on Australia at the Millenium Stadium as well as the Wembley double header and Old Trafford final.
I assume you'll be there supporting the international game become as big as you want it to be.

Dave, we have done everything to death many times over! My personal opinion is that the international game and the perception is much weaker than 20 years ago. I dont feel a strong desire to look back in history to see what did actually work, there were 10k of supporters travelling to Aus! Now the lions steal all the glory.
The international game needs further work to get back to where it was, then further work to get anywhere near other sports! If we want to attract sponsors and keep the stars of our game we need to all work to get it right.
I will be there even though I live in Montenegro now, trying to do my bit
Are you under 35 Dave????

#7 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,769 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:32 PM

Dave, we have done everything to death many times over! My personal opinion is that the international game and the perception is much weaker than 20 years ago. I dont feel a strong desire to look back in history to see what did actually work, there were 10k of supporters travelling to Aus! Now the lions steal all the glory.
The international game needs further work to get back to where it was, then further work to get anywhere near other sports! If we want to attract sponsors and keep the stars of our game we need to all work to get it right.
I will be there even though I live in Montenegro now, trying to do my bit
Are you under 35 Dave????

good stuff. Im 35 next week so i was a big fan of the era you refer to.

I was in Oz in 2008 and there were thousands and thousands of England fans there too. You wont get me arguing about properly organised fan tours - even to France!

#8 iangidds

iangidds
  • Coach
  • 339 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:35 PM

good stuff. Im 35 next week so i was a big fan of the era you refer to.
I was in Oz in 2008 and there were thousands and thousands of England fans there too. You wont get me arguing about properly organised fan tours - even to France!

I miss the good times, i miss the Aus supporters here in their droves and us over there.
Im sure we could do alot more but thats the story of many a RL fan!

#9 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,769 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:38 PM

I miss the good times, i miss the Aus supporters here in their droves and us over there.
Im sure we could do alot more but thats the story of many a RL fan!

im hopeful that the WC will do well enough to convince organisers to take it more seriously.

We should already know the provisional schedule for the 4n's in coming years.

#10 faz'_nose

faz'_nose
  • Coach
  • 326 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:51 PM

Could you do me a favour and have a look at cliff lyons try from the 1992 ashes series, I think the game was at old trafford (im that old i cant remember and i was there!) the try was scored around 70 mins into a pulsating game; to me these where brilliant days.
So do me a favour go have a look on youtube , make sure you see it from when steve roach drives the ball in; make sure i am not looking at this through rose tinted glasses! Because we discarded top quality international RL along time ago and no one will ever be able to tell me we cant make this happen again! Resurrecting the tours and real ashes series combined with a meaningful international calendar will in my opinion help drive the game forward once again.

Wasn't it the 1990 Ashes Series?

Anyway, although it was a vital component of yet another series win for Australia, I have to admit that the Lyons try was breathtaking.

#11 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:04 PM

Tours that are genuine tours are a thing of the past. Our game is too tough to have that many additional matches stuck on the end of a season and clubs won't willingly reduce the number of games played in the season. My dad is 71, steeped in rugby league since he grew up watching saints in the 50's, he thinks the game is a better spectacle played by better, fitter and more skill full players now than at any other time in history.
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#12 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:06 PM

If we were deemed to have a significant hope of winning a 4nations or WC down under I've no doubt fans would go in greater numbers.
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#13 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:22 PM

Let's cut to the chase anyway, why are the union lions matches so much bigger than ours ever were?

1. Scotland. Ireland. Wales produce fans and players. We have wasted every opportunity to grow the game into new territories under the guide of fair play. We can't afford that after 100 years of navel-gazing inertia.

2. Despite changes to union divisional structures etc; no one takes their ball home and refuses to attend

3. Clubs at every level get behind and encourage international union, even if it makes a mockery of the league

4. Internationals are the pinnacle of their sport, they don't mythologise origin or try to recreate it with roses matches or exiles - internationals would be better supported in league if no one had started origin

#14 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:06 AM

The big difference between RL & and RU imo is that in RU there's a long term international program that the national unions can plan for and spend years selling tickets for.

If the RLIF sticks to the proposed internationals over the next few years I think we'll see a lot more interest in the intl game, at least here in Aus.

#15 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:37 AM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cH92KJExl8

It is a good game.  We are lucky we still have them.

Edited by Bob8, 28 July 2013 - 06:38 AM.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#16 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 598 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:49 AM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cH92KJExl8

It is a good game.  We are lucky we still have them.

why did you put the link on? I was stupid enough to watch it again, now my day is ruined!

#17 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:49 AM

why did you put the link on? I was stupid enough to watch it again, now my day is ruined!

Ha-ha. Not seen the 15 minute clip of that game before.

Such great memories. Wonderful times. Life was simpler back then...!!

Will we see those types of matches come back again...??

#18 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

who is the gb number 16?

#19 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 598 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

who is the gb number 16?

paul Loughlin, saints centre

#20 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:05 AM

Ha-ha. Not seen the 15 minute clip of that game before.
Such great memories. Wonderful times. Life was simpler back then...!!
Will we see those types of matches come back again...??

I really hope so. packed stadiums, great British players and unbelievable close and exciting games, the reason I became a rugby league nut was the 1990 ashes series.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users