Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

People younger than mid thirties

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

How England could do with a Gary schoefield at 6 in this years world cup, having said that mcnotaclue would probably play him on the wing.

#22 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:30 AM

How England could do with a Gary schoefield at 6 in this years world cup, having said that mcnotaclue would probably play him on the wing.

at least of he was playing he might talk the game up
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#23 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:47 AM

Does anybody know why Shaun Edwards and Jonathan Davies didn't feature in this ashes series?

#24 iangidds

iangidds
  • Coach
  • 337 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:55 PM

I remember the Eastwood kicks, he had the jips and im not surprised!

#25 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:19 PM

I remember the Eastwood kicks, he had the jips and im not surprised!

A bit off topic but on the 92' ashes series down under I always remember the Aussie commentators in the GB v NSW country game played in some one-horse town in hysterics over Paul eastwoods surname and calling him clint.

#26 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,932 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:42 PM

paul Loughlin, saints centre

I used to love watching him play. He was the last of the classic centres in that he was superb at making space and giving his wingers pin point passes and opportunities to split the defence due to having sucked in the opposing winger. He made a star out of Les Quirk.

His interception try at Old Trafford brought GB so close to clinching a test series against the Australians that the last minute loss in that game still hurts.

#27 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,065 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:18 AM

What has being younger than mid-thirties got to do with this thread?

I'm not sure. I love these threads that meander about with the history of the game though.

I can only assume that the OP is lamenting the chance to have copied the Aussie game by introducing franchising in the early 90s to mirror their success. I guess that he is making the point that had we done this we might now be winning Ashes series in front of full houses.
People called Romans they go the house

#28 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:10 AM

make sure i am not looking at this through rose tinted glasses!

Come on guys - reading comprehension in the 35+ crowd is quite low I see. It's either that or you can't remember a post from two days ago, never mind the early nineties!

As it is, I sort of think I agree with Ian - although I am only judging on 15 minutes of highlights...

#29 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,172 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:56 AM

If people want to watch interesting highlights from Test matches versus the Aussies, I suggest these:

2004 - CoM Stadium - 38k crowd - GB v Aus Tri Nations clash where the Aussies scored right at the end to snatch the victory.

2006 - SFS - Smallish crowd (not unusual for GB games in Sydney) - the Mason v Fielden game - a classic.

2011 - Wembley - 42k crowd - some great tries including two of the best wingers finishes you will ever see from Ryan Hall. Great event.

There are loads of great moments versus the Kiwis too.

International RL can be improved imho, but it still provides many great moments just like it always has.

#30 iangidds

iangidds
  • Coach
  • 337 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

Come on guys - reading comprehension in the 35+ crowd is quite low I see. It's either that or you can't remember a post from two days ago, never mind the early nineties!

As it is, I sort of think I agree with Ian - although I am only judging on 15 minutes of highlights...

Its just to make sure i am not looking through rose tinted glasses!
We all look back and think it was better in our day! Just trying to gauge opinion of younger people

#31 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:42 PM

My dad is 71, steeped in rugby league since he grew up watching saints in the 50's, he thinks the game is a better spectacle played by better, fitter and more skill full players now than at any other time in history.

My mum, who is not quite 71, has been watching ever since she was a kid and she says exactly the same.

She also says that my grandad, who was born in 1905 and watched the Team of All Talents as a boy, would have loved today's game.

That's me.  I'm done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users