Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Kear - transfer rumours have caused unrest

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 bulldogtrev

bulldogtrev
  • Coach
  • 401 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

I am not sure I agree that this is just the players fault. John Kear and the coaching team have to take some responsibility.  Kear is a good old fashioned coach, but these days with much more knowledge about fitness regimes and nutrition, the physical abilities of rugby players have to be a done deal. Games are actually won on the game strategies and the psychological fitness of the team. It has been well documented on this forum that some of Kear's gameplays have caused problems all season. Added to this he appears to have lost his leadership of the team and is incapable creating any team spirit or motivation - I am starting to wonder if these is why so many of our lads are leaving  

The effort from the Batley players today was good and the performance was alot better than last week but again with ball in hand Batley played  the same one man rugby(even allowing for todays showers during the game) and there are too many players who do not or do not have the ability to pass the ball.Whether this is down to coaching or the ability of the individual players is open to debate.

Batley in the first half of the season won games due to being fitter than the opposition. Other teams are now matching Batley's fitness and if you are playing one man rugby with no dummy runners then Batley will continue to struggle to score points.

The frustrating part is Batley have got nothing to lose in throwing the ball around. We cannot be relegated and based on the performances during the first 3/4's of the season we have no chance of making the Grand Final.  

Edited by bulldogtrev, 28 July 2013 - 04:35 PM.

"Anyone who does not watch rugby league is not a real person."

-John Singleton,

#22 RPH

RPH
  • Coach
  • 604 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:39 PM

Shocking att...450 ish. Why?

LOL  at that question....

#23 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:40 PM

Well, we plumbed the depths again.  I have followed Batley for 62 years, and in that time, believe me, I have seem some dire stuff served up.  The one redeeming grace, through thick and thin, was that it never felt as if the players couldn't be bothered.  How can a team slump to the degree that ours has in a matter of weeks.  They seem incapable of winning a game. Even when they are ahead with a couple of minutes to go they find a way to throw it away.   

I don't go in for coach bashing, or referee bashing -  when it comes down to the basics it is only the players who can make the effort (or not).   Kear says they have been affected by transfer rumours; correct me if I am wrong but aren't they paid professionals?   I am, as you will guess, retired, but I can imagine what my old boss would have said if I stopped bothering to turn up and claimed it was because I was unsettled and thinking about maybe changing jobs.   He would have put any doubt out of my mind as to where my future lay by showing me the door.   Anyone with an ounce of pride would not simply turn up to pocket the pay without even attempting to earn it.     If it was down to me they would not wear the shirt again once they were pre-occupied with moving on.  We couldn't do any worse. 

There was team spirit back then , players who played with pride and passion but not the most talented, players who stopped with the club 6 or 7 seasons with quite a few serving the club 10 years earning a testimonial such as Ernie Hepworth,John Fox, Ziggy Piwinski or if we did sign anyone with a bit of talent they were sold off  after a couple of seasons to keep the club afloat aka Tommy Martyn and Stan Gittens.

And if its the players have been affected by transfer rumours , how come we are the only club that seems to have been affected by it and as an earlier poster tried blaming the RFL .. sorry it doesn't wash , yep it is stupid to allow this to go on with still a lot to play for, but doesn't seem to affect the form of any other club.. maybe its something deeper than that and the silence from the club is deafening, as fans who  help pay the players wages ,we have a right to know whats going on.

Edited by redditchbulldog, 28 July 2013 - 04:45 PM.

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#24 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 804 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:58 PM

Shocking att...450 ish. Why?

TBF this rounds att in the championship were poor bar Oldham who got 1200.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#25 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,053 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:10 PM

I get the distinct feeling, BSJ, that Mark Aston is not the only one who is taking pleasure from Batley's current malaise.

I'm not one of them if that's what you mean. I can't even spell schadenfreude!

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#26 olddoggy

olddoggy
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:09 PM

I'm very glad to hear it.  Perhaps I erroneously perceived a note of irony in your post.  No offence intended -  I couldn't bring myself to insult anyone who understands, and can correctly spell, schadenfreude.  Its disturbing how widespread it is in what passes for society these days.

#27 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:58 PM

We don't have a great fan base at the best of times, but I'm afraid fans are now voting with their feet after the shambles they've seen over the last 6 weeks. Can't really fault them either.

Starting to consider a few weeks off myself and I've barely missed a game this season.

So you only support your team when they're playing well? 

#28 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:03 PM

So you only support your team when they're playing well?

Having been going home and away where possible for 20 odd years your post holds little validity. I've seen some god awful batley teams over the years, and still keep coming back. Oh as well as investing quite a bit of money and time into the club in other ways.

Having a game off is hardly fickle. Yet I imagine after calming down a bit I will end up at Cougar Park next week.

It's called frustration Eddie. And having seen some of your posts about your own side in recent years I don't think you really need any further explanation.

#29 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:05 PM

Having been going home and away where possible for 20 odd years your post holds little validity. I've seen some god awful batley teams over the years, and still keep coming back. Oh as well as investing quite a bit of money and time into the club in other ways.

Having a game off is hardly fickle. Yet I imagine after calming down a bit I will end up at Cougar Park next week.

It's called frustration Eddie. And having seen some of your posts about your own side in recent years I don't think you really need any further explanation.

Fair point

#30 Morleydog

Morleydog
  • Coach
  • 394 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:50 AM

With regard to the players being 'tapped up' or even signed up by other clubs for next year.

It doesn't sit well with me as I feel there could be a conflict of interests.

Lets imagine for a moment that we still had to play Dewsbury on the last day of the season. Dewsbury meanwhile have gone into a Batley-esque tailspin and are second from bottom of the league. The final match is a very tense affair and at the final hooter, Batley score to come within a point of their old foe. All hinges on the final conversion. If it goes over, Dewsbury are down, if it doesn't they stay up. And up steps Tom Hemingway to take the kick....................... See my point?

Now, probably wouldn't make a difference to us (in fact I for one would want them to stay up), but tell that to the poor sods who do go down.

I accept there are a lot of ifs in there (Dewsbury being in the lead at the final hooter for one ;) ), but it surely cannot be right that a player has some kind of allegiance to another club in the same league.

#31 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:53 AM

With regard to the players being 'tapped up' or even signed up by other clubs for next year.

It doesn't sit well with me as I feel there could be a conflict of interests.

Lets imagine for a moment that we still had to play Dewsbury on the last day of the season. Dewsbury meanwhile have gone into a Batley-esque tailspin and are second from bottom of the league. The final match is a very tense affair and at the final hooter, Batley score to come within a point of their old foe. All hinges on the final conversion. If it goes over, Dewsbury are down, if it doesn't they stay up. And up steps Tom Hemingway to take the kick....................... See my point?
Now, probably wouldn't make a difference to us (in fact I for one would want them to stay up), but tell that to the poor sods who do go down.
I accept there are a lot of ifs in there (Dewsbury being in the lead at the final hooter for one ;) ), but it surely cannot be right that a player has some kind of allegiance to another club in the same league.

Unfortunately the rules of RFL allow players to sign for clubs after a certain date, which would appear to be in the middle of the current season. If they are not prepared to alter this in some way, then I would suggest that it is mandatory for clubs to announce any signings within 7 days of them happening. This would mean that everyone is fully aware of what is happening, possibly even the current club who may well be being kept in the dark by the player as to his intentions.

#32 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,595 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:47 AM

Me neither oldoggy - you have no chance being relegated and should still comfortably make the playoffs - anything can happen  in that form of the competition, so your season is hardly dead in the water. We on the other hand are still nearly as close to relegation as we are to the playoffs, so what do we have to gloat about. Let me put a positive spin on things for demoralised fans like BTJ though - the dogs, by losing to our very close rivals on a (currently) regular basis, are ensuring that the rams stay in the relegation mix - what's not to like ? ;)

#33 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,053 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:52 AM

I don't know if any of you follow the premier competition in our sport, the NRL, but this is widespread and well reported there and doesn't seem to cause any of the sort of upset that are being attributed to Batley's present situation. In the NRL players' futures are commonly and openly discussed from mid-season onwards and who they will be playing for in the next year or so is openly discussed, even by the players themselves. They are, however (with a couple of notable exceptions) thoroughly professional in their approach in terms of their condition and playing efforts for their current teams, who are after all paying their wages.

Professionalism and honour are at the root of any such problems, and these should be being addressed forthwith.

(p.s. this, in my opinion, further exposes the weaknesses of the DR system for Championship clubs.)

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users