Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Positive in the Independent

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,876 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:35 AM

Nice story in the sports section of the Indy. Interview with two women who are bringing the "Rugby World Cups" to Britain - league in 2013, union in 2015.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#2 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 793 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:42 AM

http://www.independe...ps-8735138.html

#3 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,669 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:44 AM

Right cheered me up that. 

Plus:

Nothing else will get you the profile the way international sporting competition does. It doesn't matter how amazing a Wigan v St Helens game is, it doesn't get you the same sort of cut-through that international competition does.

#4 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:51 AM

Plus:

Nothing else will get you the profile the way international sporting competition does. It doesn't matter how amazing a Wigan v St Helens game is, it doesn't get you the same sort of cut-through that international competition does.[/size]

Agree with SB and JM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#5 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,165 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:00 PM

Nice little read that, enjoyed it.

#6 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:33 PM

RUGBY world cup and Rugby LEAGUE world cup?????....mmmmm :rtfm:

Posted Image

#7 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,955 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

Plus:

Nothing else will get you the profile the way international sporting competition does. It doesn't matter how amazing a Wigan v St Helens game is, it doesn't get you the same sort of cut-through that international competition does.

I think we all know this. Success for England at this World Cup is vital for the game in this country. If you like it's the last chance saloon.  The problem seems to be that the clubs don't see it. International success is key for any sport in this country that wants recognition.  Look at Triathlon, who was really aware of it until the London Olympics?

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#8 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,165 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:29 PM

TBF, that's what the tournaments are called.

#9 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,165 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:30 PM

I think we all know this. Success for England at this World Cup is vital for the game in this country. If you like it's the last chance saloon.  The problem seems to be that the clubs don't see it. International success is key for any sport in this country that wants recognition.  Look at Triathlon, who was really aware of it until the London Olympics?

I'm not sure that the clubs don't see it. I think in this country the clubs are doing what they can to support the international game. Why do you think they are not?

#10 JonNgog

JonNgog
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:15 PM

Interesting to see how the Union World Cup is priced, very very cheap for the less attractive group games then the price pushed up to frightening levels for the final to make up for the loss.

Edited by JonNgog, 28 July 2013 - 08:17 PM.

#11 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,902 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:42 PM

I think the rah rahs copywrited the term " Rugby World Cup" even though RL had the first Rugby World Cup. Thus we cannot describe our World Cup as the Rugby World cup or we will be sued.

Just another chapter in their century long attempts to deny us and kill us off in any which way they can. They would like to strangle us like some troublesome chicken running amok in the back yard but as someone somewhere famously said 'Some chicken, some neck" We are still around to crow for sometime yet.

#12 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,848 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:53 PM

Have the RU mob copyrighted "The original and best Rugby World Cup"? Eh? Eh?  B)

Edited by Futtocks, 28 July 2013 - 10:53 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#13 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:20 PM

Interesting to see how the Union World Cup is priced, very very cheap for the less attractive group games then the price pushed up to frightening levels for the final to make up for the loss.

I'm struggling to understand what a "less attractive" union game is.

#14 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,165 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:31 PM

The ones involving England.  :lazy:

#15 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,955 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:56 PM

I'm not sure that the clubs don't see it. I think in this country the clubs are doing what they can to support the international game. Why do you think they are not?

I get the impression that the SL clubs see SL as the be all and end all. After all it's understandable  their players are putting their bodes on the line.  If the past is anything to go by international football always takes a back seat to clubs parochial interests.  Plus there's their willingness to import an overseas player at the drop of a hat. 

IMO nothing should be deemed more important than this comp. for British RL.  Especially after Union's triumph over Oz with the Lions and Cricket probably doing likewise.  I know I've harped on this for years, but if we genuinely want expansion, , success in this comp. is something that could eventually deliver that expansion to say nothing of something more than just survival in the capital.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#16 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 748 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:12 PM

Ha ha! It could only be one where there actually isn't a ball..... Although I suppose there would be less kicking

#17 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 748 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:14 PM

Prices for the RWC hospitality are very high we have just registered for 10 VIP for each of the England group matches + qtr semi and final for a client.

70 tickets with lunch and drinks total cost a staggering £ 105000.00:((((((

Jeysus !!! How big are the prawns?

CM

#18 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,902 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:29 PM

Prices for the RWC hospitality are very high we have just registered for 10 VIP for each of the England group matches + qtr semi and final for a client.

CM

Can you steer some of those clients in our direction?

#19 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,848 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:39 PM

CM

To be fair, you would need a lot of booze to make watching an England RU match bearable. So the tickets themselves were probably only 50p each. ;) 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#20 tigersfan

tigersfan
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:44 PM

I think the rah rahs copywrited the term " Rugby World Cup" even though RL had the first Rugby World Cup. Thus we cannot describe our World Cup as the Rugby World cup or we will be sued.

Just another chapter in their century long attempts to deny us and kill us off in any which way they can. They would like to strangle us like some troublesome chicken running amok in the back yard but as someone somewhere famously said 'Some chicken, some neck" We are still around to crow for sometime yet.

No, most union fans are indifferent to league. We don't even have a derogatory nickname for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users