TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

signings for next year

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#1 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:03 PM

who out of the current squad are signed for next year, and surely now we should be getting others penned, because barring a complete collapse and miracle escapes from the bottom sides then were a championship side again next year. people who i know of who were on 2 or more year deals were
miller
rooney
matty
dowes
mossop
stack
olstrum
shacks
callum phillips

any others?
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#2 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,007 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

With clubs getting extra money under the new system for 2015 many will be strengthening in order that they finish in the top 9 in 2014 or else they go down to Championship 1 which is to become two divisions (North and South). There is also talk of the SL clubs bringing back the Under 23's and if that happens then it could mean the end of the DR system.

We really need to be ahead of the field in our search for new faces but even though we have good contacts abroad we don't seem to have the same sort of contacts here at home. We could do with getting in touch with Jimmy Pickering and seeing about a couple of Fijians playing. One thing is for certain we definitely need to strengthen for next season.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#3 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:55 PM

We've been on about that Jimmy link for ages but nowts happened . We should keep an eye on their WC squad . What's Dave Petersen doing ? If Salford have a clear out what about the Walne brothers ? Scotland are here in the WC , maybe a chance to make contacts there - that Dave Scott who isn't getting a gig at Fev for example ? Guys from Widnes who are unwanted ? I know money and travel are keys , but there's plenty of avenues . Gee it's gonna be cutthroat if you have to make the top 9!!! Will be get an overseas half or centre ?? Wow it's easy from the outside ... Sign em up by the bucketload !!!!

Edited by DavidM, 28 July 2013 - 02:01 PM.

#4 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:13 PM

Would a Fijian be allowed to play over here?

#5 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,007 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:36 PM

If he was a current international or had played for Fiji since the last World Cup in 2008, I think.

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#6 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 650 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:00 PM

If one plays in the world cup then yes or since 2010 its a 3 year gap

#7 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 650 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:00 PM

If one plays in the world cup then yes or since 2010 its a 3 year gap

#8 homeandawayer

homeandawayer
  • Coach
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:58 AM

As far as i know two year contracts were signed at the start of this year by Shackley, Olstrum, Stack, Rooney ,Morris , Mossop and Dowes.

#9 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:12 AM

As far as i know two year contracts were signed at the start of this year by Shackley, Olstrum, Stack, Rooney ,Morris , Mossop and Dowes.

miller and callum were definately 2 years and matty was a 3 year deal.

#10 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:17 PM

That just leaves the two Brett's , Coward and Acton who you'd definitely be looking to lock up from this year .

#11 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:26 PM

i would be making a serious attempt to get flynn and walne on permanent deals.

#12 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:33 PM

Yes once you have that nucleus of our own we can build on the platform . Briscoe for me is a stand out foundation if you could get him , everything's built on solidity from the back . He may have other plans but if he likes it here you never know . Paddypingpong for definite to , surely nothing for him at Widnes . And with the clear out at Salford both Walne's would be magnificent . If / when Thacks goes Adam would be a perfect replacement . Widnes and Salford would be both clubs to keep tabs on in terms of unwanted players .Always good to try and get kids from Cumbria back up her to who are on the periphery at their current clubs ?

Edited by DavidM, 30 July 2013 - 08:35 PM.

#13 rockerlad

rockerlad
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:05 PM

My Marra at work who supports town said miller only signed a 1 year deal

#14 topladtownie

topladtownie
  • Coach
  • 780 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

http://www.loverugby...ts-of-trio.html

Not totally clear from this article at the time regarding Miller, although clear that Olstrum and Shackley were

2 year contracts.

#15 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:23 PM

im pretty sure elliot was a 2 year. the only one of the existing squad from last year who signed for one was carter.

#16 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,007 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:24 PM

So, what is the up to date position re this subject does anyone know? How many do we have already signed on?

#17 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:33 PM

Silly season is about to begin with rumours galore over the next few months. Believe it when it happens. Already overheard somones talking in the pub saying that Brett carter is leaving.

#18 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:22 PM

I think we will have to wait until the seasons over before certain people show their hands and the squad will shape depending on those decisions. I think this is why Barrow moved so quickly to sack Holty, they needed somebody in place to try and keep their squad together before all the poaching begins. Haven were openly coveting a few of their players and they will no doubt be fluttering their eyelids at some of our players too.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#19 LondonTown

LondonTown
  • Players
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:43 PM

Morris on another year. I spoke to him after York match.

#20 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 705 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:56 PM

Miller told me himself he has another year left at Town.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users