Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Technology forum - anyone know a good one?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Cake Tiger

Cake Tiger
  • Coach
  • 720 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:34 PM

I have a boring query about what is the best file format to keep films in on a hard drive. Does anyone know a good forum for tech queries?

#2 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,096 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:40 PM

I have a boring query about what is the best file format to keep films in on a hard drive. Does anyone know a good forum for tech queries?

Matroska files are the best from what i can gather. The file extension is .MKV

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#3 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,695 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:58 PM

Avforums is a good forum with lots of very knowledgeable posters. I've heard that mkv files are the preferred format for HD pirated content. ;)
Fides invicta triumphat

#4 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,096 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:59 PM

Avforums is a good forum with lots of very knowledgeable posters. I've heard that mkv files are the preferred format for HD pirated content. ;)

Correct. ;)

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#5 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,848 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:42 PM

What do you mean by 'best'? If we can establish that, we may be able to help.

If you use the free VLC Media Player, compatibility isn't a problem, as it plays just abut everything.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#6 Cake Tiger

Cake Tiger
  • Coach
  • 720 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:50 PM

I tried AV Forums and only got one response. Should have known that TRL would be a better source. 

I am putting all my DVDs on a hard drive (to back them up  ;)) and have been reading about the various file types. I want files that will not become obsolete and can be played on most media players and hardware without too much fiddling about. I had narrowed it down to AVI and MP4. The trouble with reading about this sort of stuff through Googling is a lot of the info is written by software companies (so is biased) or is out of date quickly. There are so many contrasting views - I don't think there is a general consensus.

Cheers for the replies anyway. 

#7 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,593 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:58 PM

I'm half way through ripping all my DVDs. I'm using Handbrake on my mac and using mp4 as the default. The main reason I chose that format is that I have a couple of AppleTV boxes around the house and have a server running an iTunes service.

I've got a robocopy backup running hourly to a different box as I really don't want to lose all that effort in ripping them.

A good job hard drives are so cheap as I'm at 1.2TB despite having so much more to rip.

One big benefit when I finish is that I'll be able to transport all my movie files on one portable HD. Great for when I'm away on a business trip.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#8 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,695 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:22 AM

I tried AV Forums and only got one response. Should have known that TRL would be a better source. 

I am putting all my DVDs on a hard drive (to back them up  ;)) and have been reading about the various file types. I want files that will not become obsolete and can be played on most media players and hardware without too much fiddling about. I had narrowed it down to AVI and MP4. The trouble with reading about this sort of stuff through Googling is a lot of the info is written by software companies (so is biased) or is out of date quickly. There are so many contrasting views - I don't think there is a general consensus.

Cheers for the replies anyway. 

Best to do a search to see if someone has asked the question before because posters get fed up with repeating answers every time someone has the same question.

http://www.avforums....5479j1324133j35

Fides invicta triumphat

#9 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,695 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:23 AM

I'm half way through ripping all my DVDs. I'm using Handbrake on my mac and using mp4 as the default. The main reason I chose that format is that I have a couple of AppleTV boxes around the house and have a server running an iTunes service.

Another thumbs up for handbrake from me. The Apple TV presents save a lot of messing about.

Fides invicta triumphat

#10 Cake Tiger

Cake Tiger
  • Coach
  • 720 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

I found Handbrake a bit slow and it failed to bypass the DRM stuff on a couple of my DVDs.

#11 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,593 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:36 PM

I found Handbrake a bit slow and it failed to bypass the DRM stuff on a couple of my DVDs.

PC or Mac version?  I only have it on my PC for the few region 1 DVDs I have.  Out of a few hundred DVDs on my Mac I've had no problems with it getting past the DRM.

The main reason I use Handbrake is that despite it being a bit slower I've never had a single corruption, audio synch or video judder from any rip from it.  For me, it's worth the effort of taking my time and doing it properly using Handbrake rather than finding out many months from now that a rip is iffy with 5 minutes left of a film.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#12 Cake Tiger

Cake Tiger
  • Coach
  • 720 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

PC or Mac version?  I only have it on my PC for the few region 1 DVDs I have.  Out of a few hundred DVDs on my Mac I've had no problems with it getting past the DRM.

The main reason I use Handbrake is that despite it being a bit slower I've never had a single corruption, audio synch or video judder from any rip from it.  For me, it's worth the effort of taking my time and doing it properly using Handbrake rather than finding out many months from now that a rip is iffy with 5 minutes left of a film.

PC version. I was surprised because loads of people recommend Handbrake. 

I suppose you never find out about dodgy rips until you are watching the film. No doubt I'll curse my choice months down the line  :mellow:

#13 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:37 AM

PC or Mac version? I only have it on my PC for the few region 1 DVDs I have. Out of a few hundred DVDs on my Mac I've had no problems with it getting past the DRM.

The main reason I use Handbrake is that despite it being a bit slower I've never had a single corruption, audio synch or video judder from any rip from it. For me, it's worth the effort of taking my time and doing it properly using Handbrake rather than finding out many months from now that a rip is iffy with 5 minutes left of a film.

I use handbrake (mac), but quite infrequently. I often struggle I choose which file from the list to rip, but by trial and error I usually get there. I've had a few stubborn instances where I've not had a success - any advice?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users