Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Some thoughts about today: positivity spoiler alert!

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#1 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,891 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:04 PM

Decided not to write the match report for the website too quickly after the game today. Mainly, because I've spent the last three hours fuming. But some observations about today:

- Absolutely made up to see Applegarth back. He clearly wasn't 100% and has probably been rushed back a little too early, but his presence certainly improved the team (in the first half at least). Him and Davies are crucial "must keeps" next season.

- Interesting to keep tabs on the commitment levels of our alleged wantaway players. George played with real aggression and enthusiasm, Hirst had his best game in quite some time (but still way off 2012 form), Hemingway's kicking game was above average (including that outstanding 40/20 in the second half), Johnson never stopped looking for the ball, but admittedly Walmsley had a bit of a shocker again. So is the commitment of most of these players really that bad? I'm not so sure.

- Ash Lindsay and Danny Maun clearly still bleed cerise and fawn. They should both be offered a one-year deal to oversee the winter turnover.

- Our display in the first-half (well more accurately the second half of the first-half) was a vast improvement on recent displays.

- Workington benefited from two highly debatable tries being awarded by Ronnie Laughingboy. Their try to bring it back to 14-10 was a good couple of yards forward, and the less said about the "winning try" the better.

- At least we don't have to play Dewsbury at the minute, because they would wallop us on current form.

However, despite these few positives, we are clearly missing one crucial component at the moment. I really don't think it's commitment - I think it's confidence. As soon as Workington scored that ropey try you could see the heads drop again. We had loads of opportunities to put the game away at 16-14 in the final 15 minutes, but we bombed them all. It's not a lack of talent, it's not a lack of commitment, it's that we have gone into a horrific tailspin that we can't seem to pull out of.

Only thing is, I'm no confidence guru, so gawd knows how JK and his talented coaching team are gonna pull this round. I think the introduction of some of the old guard and the likes of Josh Johnson and Mullally is the way forward though.

I'm sure these comments will get ripped apart and I sort of expect them to, but it's just my garbled attempt at trying to make sense of it all.

Oh, and Ronnie, it really is time to hang up that whistle, fella!

#2 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,707 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:11 PM

So no credit to Workington then even though they out scored you 4 tries to 2 and kept you try-less down the slope.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#3 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:14 PM

Wow, your positives astound me.

Once again we killed ourselves with penalties and errors.

There was no team spirit on show and no leader on the field.

The game plan was once again 5 drives and a kick, when we completed a set that is.

Workington were fitter than us and wanted it far more.

The crowd of under 500 said it all.

We are the only team in history to concede a try off the back of a 40-20.

I dont think any coach in the world could turn this round, but Kears methods will come under far more scritiny next year after the huge clearout we are expecting.

I still dont think we will win another game this season and wont be at Keighley.

Summary - final nail in the coffin, seasons dead.

Edited by buford t justice, 28 July 2013 - 07:19 PM.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#4 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:16 PM

So no credit to Workington then even though they out scored you 4 tries to 2 and kept you try-less down the slope.

Come on, you won, well done. But as you might have picked up, we are in a bit of a crisis, a tailspin being an excellent description so please excuse us for not singing your praises, I am sure you can do that perfectly well enough. Now if you don't mind, we have our issues to discuss!

#5 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,891 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:16 PM

To be honest, this is a Batley forum. So, no, not really! But now that you've come on here and commented ...

We played badly again, you won (as a lot of our fans had already predicted). If this fixture had been played in April or May, we'd have won by 20. But it wasn't.

Normally, I'd say you deserved the three points. From a personal opinion, I think you benefited from two dodgy decisions because the TJs weren't doing their job, but if you want a pat on the back - well done for scoring four tries to two and keeping us try-less down the slope. For the record, we play better uphill anyway.

#6 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:17 PM

Oh, give it a rest and remove the chip from your shoulder. We're on a Batley forum, discussing Batley issues, and in particular our astonishing recent loss in form. I couldn't give a hoot about Workington's performance.

Posted Image

#7 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,891 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:17 PM

Wow, your positives astound me.

Once again we killed ourselves with penalties and errors.

There was no team spirit on show and no leader on the field.

The game plan was once again 5 drives and a kick, when we completed a set that is.

Workington were fitter than us.

The crowd of under 500 said it all.

We are the only team in history to concede a try off the back of a 40-20.

I dont think any coach in the world could turn this round, but Kears methods will come under far more scritiny next year after the huge clearout we are expecting.

I still dont think we will win another game this season and wont be at Keighley.

Summary - final nail in the coffin, seasons dead.

All fair comment, BTJ. Just trying to pull something out of it! Believe you me, my report won't be anywhere near as positive!!

#8 GoldDog

GoldDog
  • Coach
  • 383 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:23 PM

The only positives I took from today was seeing Gareth Moore 1) not on the field of play and 2) wearing a pair of pink shorts.

Edited by GoldDog, 28 July 2013 - 07:24 PM.

#9 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:23 PM

All fair comment, BTJ. Just trying to pull something out of it! Believe you me, my report won't be anywhere near as positive!!

Ive tried desperately but I cant pull any positives out of it

The highlight of my day was Gareth Moore turning up looking like an extra from Whams 'club tropicana' video (i didnt know you could buy pink shorts so snugly fitting) and watching fans sprint for cover when the rain came down.

Roll on 2014.

Edited by buford t justice, 28 July 2013 - 07:25 PM.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#10 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,891 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

Ive tried desperately but I cant pull any positives out of it

The highlight of my day was Gareth Moore turning up looking like an extra from Whams 'club tropicana' video (i didnt know you could buy pink shorts so snugly fitting) and watching fans sprint for cover when the rain came down.

Roll on 2014.

That lad has had more dodgy barnets than Elton John, TBF.

#11 nedryan

nedryan
  • Players
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:39 PM

Decided not to write the match report for the website too quickly after the game today. Mainly, because I've spent the last three hours fuming. But some observations about today:

- Absolutely made up to see Applegarth back. He clearly wasn't 100% and has probably been rushed back a little too early, but his presence certainly improved the team (in the first half at least). Him and Davies are crucial "must keeps" next season.

- Interesting to keep tabs on the commitment levels of our alleged wantaway players. George played with real aggression and enthusiasm, Hirst had his best game in quite some time (but still way off 2012 form), Hemingway's kicking game was above average (including that outstanding 40/20 in the second half), Johnson never stopped looking for the ball, but admittedly Walmsley had a bit of a shocker again. So is the commitment of most of these players really that bad? I'm not so sure.

- Ash Lindsay and Danny Maun clearly still bleed cerise and fawn. They should both be offered a one-year deal to oversee the winter turnover.

- Our display in the first-half (well more accurately the second half of the first-half) was a vast improvement on recent displays.

- Workington benefited from two highly debatable tries being awarded by Ronnie Laughingboy. Their try to bring it back to 14-10 was a good couple of yards forward, and the less said about the "winning try" the better.

- At least we don't have to play Dewsbury at the minute, because they would wallop us on current form.

However, despite these few positives, we are clearly missing one crucial component at the moment. I really don't think it's commitment - I think it's confidence. As soon as Workington scored that ropey try you could see the heads drop again. We had loads of opportunities to put the game away at 16-14 in the final 15 minutes, but we bombed them all. It's not a lack of talent, it's not a lack of commitment, it's that we have gone into a horrific tailspin that we can't seem to pull out of.

Only thing is, I'm no confidence guru, so gawd knows how JK and his talented coaching team are gonna pull this round. I think the introduction of some of the old guard and the likes of Josh Johnson and Mullally is the way forward though.

I'm sure these comments will get ripped apart and I sort of expect them to, but it's just my garbled attempt at trying to make sense of it all.

Oh, and Ronnie, it really is time to hang up that whistle, fella!

I think you have actually hit the nail on the head here. I also think confidence has been eroded over a number of weeks - I don't know what the answer is but JK and Co need to think hard about how to address this beyond the usual "pull yourself together" approach

#12 phildog

phildog
  • 292 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:40 PM

Well, now I'm itching to see the report!! Haven't been to the last 2 due to work, so am not qualified to make much comment. You always try to be fair in your reports both to us and the opposition and i expect the same today, but you're right about one thing, in general anyway, the standard of refereeing. It's at an all-time low. I can understand it in TV games when refs are loathe to make a decision for themselves and can always blame someone else for thre cock-up (and as we know the video refs are no better after all their deliberating) but when it's a championship game and there's no back-up one would expect care and deliberation over decisions, and not to do so can often, as appears to be the case today, be the difference between winning and losing when things are so tight. Unfortunately,the regular rule changes etc have spoiled what was a spectacular contact sport, but there is no excuse for missing blatant forward passes, or knock-ons etc. From my viewpoint, it appears to be pride that's missing, players don't suddenly become bad, or has it been the fact that it has been our tackling game that has kept us afloat for so long, and now that's on the wane our weaknesses are showing. The fact that previously we've tackled the opposition to a standstill then hit them with points late on has showed up our fitness, but that's gone too. IF kear is still here next year I hope he has plenty in his locker for all our sakes. 

#13 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,891 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:49 PM

Perhaps I should qualify the comments about Laughingboy. I really don't think he likes Batley, but I also don't think he was helped by his TJs today. Morris's try was WAY forward - right in front of the TJ, but he chose to ignore that and Connor's try was scored from an offside position at the end. Ronnie even consulted with his TJ because the crowd was baying so much, but it was the TJ who awarded it, not Ronnie.

He's still abysmal, mind. I cringed when I saw his name on the teamsheet at 1.30 today.

#14 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:51 PM

Wow some really sour grapes on here tonight. Today was 13 v 13 on the pitch. your off field problems are nothing to do with us. 3pts up for grabs and we brought them back to workington.give some credit where its due instead of making excuses. Off field problems the referee blah blah blah

#15 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,449 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:55 PM

I've always rated Ronnie . Should definitely get Challenge Cup Final and World Cup Final . Top ref .

#16 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 208 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:56 PM

Why oh why blame the coach what are u on about you know the minute they step out its out of his control. Just joke of touch judges and ronnie lawton again better performance but wrong descion making we wouldnt be complaining if johnson had caught the two passes . In periods like this its hard but lets ride this diffcult time out .

#17 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,891 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:58 PM

Wow some really sour grapes on here tonight. Today was 13 v 13 on the pitch. your off field problems are nothing to do with us. 3pts up for grabs and we brought them back to workington.give some credit where its due instead of making excuses. Off field problems the referee blah blah blah

And again, why would we give you credit? Go and pat yourselves on the back on your own forum.

This is where we talk about things from a Batley perspective. The clue is in the title of the forum. Jeeze.

#18 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:58 PM

If I wanted to compliment Workington, I'd use the Workington forum to state as much. I guess we're much more bothered about our own club, and our current crisis. Toodle pip now.

Posted Image

#19 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:05 PM

If I wanted to compliment Workington, I'd use the Workington forum to state as much. I guess we're much more bothered about our own club, and our current crisis. Toodle pip now.

You dont need to compliment us fella just be a bit more graceful in defeat. this isnt a Batley forum is total rl fans forum. now I will leave you all to talk
Batley and worrying times. Toodle pip.

#20 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,891 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:08 PM

now I will leave you all to talk
Batley and worrying times.

Please do. I'll be across later to validate the fragile egos of your fans on your forum by congratulating you on an earth-shatteringly brilliant win over the "mighty" Bulldogs in our current state.

Christ on a bike.

Edited by Chairman LMAO, 28 July 2013 - 08:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users