Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Some thoughts about today: positivity spoiler alert!

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#61 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 835 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:27 AM

I'm just enjoying our win matey that's all!! Nothing personnel!!

#62 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:02 AM

The ref was against us all game the amount of high tackles from your players offsides forward passes and you have the nerve to say you won by an offside try... Talk about sore losers

#63 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:23 AM

The ref was against us all game the amount of high tackles from your players offsides forward passes and you have the nerve to say you won by an offside try... Talk about sore losers

To Scott and all other Workington fans who have posted:

Although your winning try looked dubiously offside, Mr Laughton made numerous strange decisions for both sides, and seemed to very much 'favour' us in the first stanza of the game IMO. However, the referee didn't influence the outcome of the game.

Workington defended excellently and looked much sharper with ball in hand throughout the game. Beside a 10 minute spell at the end of the first half you also played with a greater intensity and with more intelligence. You deserved to win.

Very few Batley fans are bitter towards your club or in relation to yesterday's result. What we are is worried and gutted in equal measure about our club's malaise after 6 successive defeats, and lots of rumours about a dispirited dressing room, players leaving, etc.

Hence why this is the topic of discussion primarily. We aren't using the aforementioned issues as an excuse for you beating us, and you shouldn't allow these in anyway to denigrate from an excellent victory for you. What we are doing is commenting on the bigger picture within our club at the moment, rather than one individual result. We aren't sore about just yesterday as a number of us expected defeat on current form, but we most certainly are about our slump and the position we find ourselves in, as I suspect you guys would be if in the same position.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Edited by Nick07, 29 July 2013 - 11:28 AM.

#64 fester

fester
  • Coach
  • 515 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:40 AM

Up the town

#65 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,707 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

Nick07, thank you for a sensible reply without any bitterness.

I was the first Town fan to post on here after reading Chairman LMAO,s first post where he states it is his "observations of the day". In that piece his only mention of Workington was that they were the recipients of two debatable tries, although that is only in his opinion.

I know that Workington defended very well, especially in the second half, when we could have laid down and let Batley run all over us as we did in the NR Cup match but we didn't and all I was looking for in my first post was just a little recognition that Batley's defeat wasn't all to do with Batley's problems at the moment. After my first post a lot of bitter posts were made which were not necessary.

Reading your coaches comments this morning it appears that he was happy with a 8 - 1 penalty count in his favour in the first half but the game apparently swung when he saw the Town coach speak to Laughton coming out for the second half when Town won the penalty count 6 - 3.

I am sorry that you and your club are in such turmoil at the moment as I thought when you played at Workington early in the season you would have been one of the top 2 but at 5th place in the league you are much better off than a lot of other clubs.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#66 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,891 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:47 PM

For further clarity (!) my post was about Batley on a Batley forum. I'm not interested in praising our opposition so my comments weren't designed to massage the egos of Workington fans. I am really struggling to understand why this is so hard for Town fans to understand!

#67 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,222 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:56 PM

good post nick07. and thanks for giving some views on the towns performance. hope you can turn your form around soon as you were certainly the best team to visit derwent park this year and as keith said i thought it would be between you and fev for top spot.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#68 Bat Lad

Bat Lad
  • Coach
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:11 PM

Very disappointed with our boys yesterday, don't blame the ref or tjs in any way, we again let ourselves down with ill discipline in the second half conceding field position allowing Workington back into the game.

First half was pretty solid only one lapse resulting in their try, thought the blonde haired half back for town was excellent, till he got injured.

Second half was going ok till we started creeping offside and high tackling. Certainly Towns second try went forward I was in line with it but I thought a Batley hand knocked it forward, also no idea about the last try being offside, my only concern was a big bloke running up the field with only Ben Black in pursuit, any one of our speedy backs should have easily caught him had they bothered too.

Well done town, a fair result no complaints from me, we need to play smarter be more discliplined, and have a little lady luck.

Edited by Bat Lad, 29 July 2013 - 02:13 PM.

#69 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 208 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:02 PM

Just read rugby league express kear coments and can tell he wasnt happy with the officals said workington coach having a go at lawton over the penalty count . Suprise suprise we ave seven sets without the ball also upset at kicking on 3rd tackle while in the lead wouldnt want to be in that dressingroom . Also shows that lawton took notice of the workington coach ????

#70 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 831 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:34 PM

Just read rugby league express kear coments and can tell he wasnt happy with the officals said workington coach having a go at lawton over the penalty count . Suprise suprise we ave seven sets without the ball also upset at kicking on 3rd tackle while in the lead wouldnt want to be in that dressingroom . Also shows that lawton took notice of the workington coach ????

workington coach said nowt to lawton as i were sat within 12 feet of him, to be fair his assistant had a couple of moans to the 4th official at side a pitch couple a times and he were right as some the desisions going our way were wrong but thats just ronnie not been able to keep up with the game, cant blame ref of tg.s for the way we played out the secong half, throwing long balls out wide thats went to ground 4 times.and missing players out when we had options nearby set up for a run at the sticks,stupid head highs,greedy play yet again near the line when  simple rugby would a done. and a pass to a big lad would do the trick everytime rather than get stuck with the ball time after time, as already mentioned the last  try might have had a touch of offside but bigdeal we should have been able to catch the player before halfway line with our pacey lads but they dident even set off  in chase eccept ben black. forget all the refs this and touchie that we were diar and have gone from a team who could and should have bet the giants on the day but that would never have been allowed same as 3 years before, to a team thats split into the 100% effort lads and the cruisers ready for next season who dont give a s***, i know all teams are having changes for next season but if whats been said is true then we look like bringing in 20+ players to start a fresh for 2014.cant see us winning another game this season on that showing. :( :bye:

#71 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:17 PM

Our discipline has been absolutely appalling in recent weeks. The Whitehaven game was one of the worst displays of petulance that I've ever seen from a team. We lost the game due to a ridiculous high tackle from a player (resulting in a yellow card) that came on the back of three-four consecutive headshots for which the referee had administered a team warning. Beyond belief.

Edited by TheTerminator, 29 July 2013 - 04:21 PM.

Posted Image

#72 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 208 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:36 PM

Yeah i couldnt believe no other back made effort to to turn and chase agree with that. Like i said it was in the express so dont know .

#73 Morleydog

Morleydog
  • Coach
  • 394 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:20 PM

I'm just enjoying our win matey that's all!! Nothing personnel!!

I think you'll find the modern phrase is 'Nothing Human Resources'.  ;)

Sorry HH, couldn't resist.

#74 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 835 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:36 PM

On a serious note all jokes aside what is the crack with the knocked down wall on the other half of the stadium? The ground is a great rugby ground nicely set out but the view of the crumbling wall spoils it, is there some construction due or is it like many other grounds, the finance aspect?

#75 RPH

RPH
  • Coach
  • 604 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:51 AM

On a serious note all jokes aside what is the crack with the knocked down wall on the other half of the stadium? The ground is a great rugby ground nicely set out but the view of the crumbling wall spoils it, is there some construction due or is it like many other grounds, the finance aspect?

its work in progress to improve the old terrace that is still left.....everytime we can raise a few quid....a bit more gets done....

that side of the ground had been cordened off due to state of the old terracing...due to health and safety

#76 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 835 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:30 AM

Well the council should see the light, why have a 85% smart stadium and have it spoiled!! Do hope you guys can get it finished!!

#77 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:23 AM

It has nothing to do with the council. We own our own ground and are responsible for any work done there.

#78 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:15 AM

Its been well documented that Simba applied to the RFL's stadium development fund a year or so back with a view to finishing the stand. He never got a reply, and when he contacted them was informed that the money they had set aside was no longer available and had been used to fund 'other projects'.

Posted Image

#79 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:23 AM

Also, when the top section was being drawn up to be constructed with the money that the club had, they made a request to the Council for a loan - note loan, not a gift or donation - which would be paid back at the going rate, so that the complete stand could be built all along that side of the pitch. The request was turned down.

#80 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:27 AM

Also, when the top section was being drawn up to be constructed with the money that the club had, they made a request to the Council for a loan - note loan, not a gift or donation - which would be paid back at the going rate, so that the complete stand could be built all along that side of the pitch. The request was turned down.

Kirklees Council aren't renowned for their support of either Batley Bulldogs or Dewsbury Rams.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users