Is John Kear cutting it?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:35 PM

Weve all slated the players over recent weeks (all justified) but no ones mentioning the coach.

For me, his tactics and game plan are very suspect - grind teams down with 5 drives and a kick and beat them with our fitness but then when this fails we have no plan B.

Now this isnt working and we are flummaxed.

Im beginning to think Mr Kear isnt cutting the
Mustard at Championship level.

Some Wakefield fans were critical of his methods and I have to say its not unfounded.

If more of the same continues after his big clearout., questions need asking.

Edited by buford t justice, 28 July 2013 - 07:36 PM.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#2 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:53 PM

D'oh!

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#3 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:01 PM

Put it this way, if JK goes, forget about attracting decent players to the club. We'll revert to where we were five years ago.

Be careful what you wish for ...

#4 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,853 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:03 PM

Sky love him ... Easy talking a good game isn't it ?

#5 RPH

RPH
  • Coach
  • 645 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:47 PM

Put it this way, if JK goes, forget about attracting decent players to the club. We'll revert to where we were five years ago.

Be careful what you wish for ...

yep....best we keep him.....keep off his back.....and maybe just teach him some new tricks .......

#6 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:58 PM

A few weeks back, I was criticising Kear's apparent lack of attention to our attacking prowess. I've now re-addressed this, as his gameplan and coaching was obviously working a treat as it was elavating a pretty average group of relatively unheralded players (compared with the 'names' available to the top 4) to a position where we could brush most teams aside with ease and almost compete on an even playing level with the likes of Fev, Leigh, Sheffield and Fax. This was the position for most of this season, and whilst we weren't a flair team, the unsatisfied (including myself) should have been happy with that. Lets be right here, Kear's gameplan - a successful gameplan, won't have changed over the last six weeks. Other variables - probably beyond his control, obviously have.

Edited by TheTerminator, 28 July 2013 - 10:59 PM.

Posted Image

#7 nedryan

nedryan
  • Players
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:36 AM

My biggest frustration with JKs approach this year is that we have completely wasted arguably the best three wingers in the league. I have a horrible feeling we won't have them next season

#8 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:02 AM

A few weeks back, I was criticising Kear's apparent lack of attention to our attacking prowess. I've now re-addressed this, as his gameplan and coaching was obviously working a treat as it was elavating a pretty average group of relatively unheralded players (compared with the 'names' available to the top 4) to a position where we could brush most teams aside with ease and almost compete on an even playing level with the likes of Fev, Leigh, Sheffield and Fax. This was the position for most of this season, and whilst we weren't a flair team, the unsatisfied (including myself) should have been happy with that. Lets be right here, Kear's gameplan - a successful gameplan, won't have changed over the last six weeks. Other variables - probably beyond his control, obviously have.

Good post.

As the Chairman says, be careful what you wish for. Who could Batley even hope to get as a better coach than JK?

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#9 phildog

phildog
  • 304 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

Must agree re; replacing Kear - who else is there available of any real ability who would come into a small championship club and pull it up by the bootstraps like Kear (and his predecessor Harrison). Kear has over his 2 seasons found and brought in lower leaguers and amateurs and turned them into proverbial silk purses. However, I think his mettle will be severely tested next season ( assuming that he is contracted) in that instead of working 2 or 3 new players into a squad, looks like he will be working 2 or 3 old players into a new squad. but PLEASE oh PLEASE, Kevin and John, come out with some new names to give us some encouragement.

#10 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:07 PM

Im not suggesting replacing him, just questioning his tactics, and pointing out that if we continue the dull brand of rugby next year with an entirely new squad, Questions will need asking.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#11 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:35 PM

Must agree re; replacing Kear - who else is there available of any real ability who would come into a small championship club and pull it up by the bootstraps like Kear (and his predecessor Harrison). Kear has over his 2 seasons found and brought in lower leaguers and amateurs and turned them into proverbial silk purses. However, I think his mettle will be severely tested next season ( assuming that he is contracted) in that instead of working 2 or 3 new players into a squad, looks like he will be working 2 or 3 old players into a new squad. but PLEASE oh PLEASE, Kevin and John, come out with some new names to give us some encouragement.

If I recall correctly coaches at Batley don't have contracts.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#12 colinb

colinb
  • Coach
  • 915 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:47 PM

If I recall correctly coaches at Batley don't have contracts.

Correct BSJ , the Batley Contract is a handshake (Coaches of course) and has been for a very long time.And if I may add Batley have not sacked a coach for ages and ages and ages.

Edited by colinb, 29 July 2013 - 03:49 PM.

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

#13 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:55 PM

Correct BSJ , the Batley Contract is a handshake (Coaches of course) and has been for a very long time.And if I may add Batley have not sacked a coach for ages and ages and ages.

Peter Regan I believe, Botters. He's not worked in this country since, despite Nosey Parker's yearly attempts to drum up interest. The coach who gave is stars such as Abraham Philips and Jason Sims.

Posted Image

#14 bulldogtrev

bulldogtrev
  • Coach
  • 411 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:55 PM

Weve all slated the players over recent weeks (all justified) but no ones mentioning the coach.

For me, his tactics and game plan are very suspect - grind teams down with 5 drives and a kick and beat them with our fitness but then when this fails we have no plan B.

Now this isnt working and we are flummaxed.

Im beginning to think Mr Kear isnt cutting the
Mustard at Championship level.

Some Wakefield fans were critical of his methods and I have to say its not unfounded.

If more of the same continues after his big clearout., questions need asking.

Batley will finish in the top five/six and have reached the Northern Rail Cup semi final. Based on the size of the crowds/revenue to sign players the argument could be that the club have overachieved resultswise. Batley have played the same style of rugby under John Kear and Karl Harrison which as brought a NRL Cup win and three successive top six finishes. I personally find the style of rugby Batley play in alot of games boring to watch and can understand why Batley struggle to attract new supporters. 

Not sure if the problem is the coaching or the ability of the players Batley can attract and how it is solved. 

Edited by bulldogtrev, 29 July 2013 - 04:56 PM.

"Anyone who does not watch rugby league is not a real person."

-John Singleton,

#15 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:29 PM

Peter Regan I believe, Botters. He's not worked in this country since, despite Nosey Parker's yearly attempts to drum up interest. The coach who gave is stars such as Abraham Philips and Jason Sims.

One thing about Peter Regan though is that you can't fault the entertainment level. From memory we were usually quite a few points down at half time having played uphill first, and more often than not turned it round. Occasionally in real nail biters.

Just a shame we couldn't seem to win away from home.

We had alot of dross that year mixed with some quality players...Simpson, Turpin, Price, Ballot, Young, etc,

I'd forgotten about Abraham Phillips. Apparently he was second choice for the part of John Coffey in The Green Mile.

#16 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:23 PM

T'owd Abraham made Jonah Lomu look like a midget. Jason Clegg was another Rego recruit. He signed loads and loads of players that season. All negotiations were completed in his office at the Black Lab.

Posted Image

#17 phildog

phildog
  • 304 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:22 PM

Not having sacked a coach doesn't neccesarily mean that everything in the garden's rosy,it could just mean that nobody could think of anyone better at the time! This is'nt actually appertaining to the current situation, just a thought process. We didn't sack Gary Thornton did we, even thought the club was on  even shakier ground than at present. Had he not resigned what would have happened? I'm not looking for Kear to be removed as I don't think, without a miracle showing up, that there's anybody any better, so the club needs to go that extra mile this summer to make sure that we hold our position with the re-structuring due. To have done so well over the last 4 seasons, then fall apart just when it's important to do well to get a place in SL2 or whatever it will be called would a disaster. Whether they would admit it or not, fans of other clubs have been surprised and happy that we have done so well, we've been an advert for the little man who regularly sticks it to the big guys, hope it continues, but as I plead in all my correspondence, PLEASE, PLEASE give us some information, some encouragement, of plans for the new squad!!

#18 phildog

phildog
  • 304 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:25 PM

By the way, recently we had a retrospective list of coaches going back to the dim and distant. Did anybody keep it and can re-post it?

#19 vitocorleone

vitocorleone
  • Coach
  • 667 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:33 PM

I`m far too depressed for that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users